Thread: Teleflex steering question

Teleflex steering question

I'd like to replace my steering wheel but after 40 years in the weather the existing wheel has welded itself to the shaft. My current plan is to try to pull the unit apart from the other side so it's small enough to pass through the hole in the dash without damage.

Any advice on how to remove this?

Re: Teleflex steering question

Most wheels are on a taper and require a "jolt" to shock them off, put the nut back on, pull back hard on the wheel and have a mate tap the centre shaft with a hammer, be careful, the shaft is very soft and can be damaged easily.

Thanks - I've left it filled with light oil to hopefully free it up and am going to try again but both myself and a mechanic working on the boat have made several attempts so I suspect a more destructive approach might be required

Penetrene or similar spray is good. Better than light oil.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

If you have tried pulling and hitting it, then it's time to just cut the wheel to bits, you are replacing it anyway.

Thanks all, happy to destroy the existing wheel but would be good if I can avoid replacing the Teleflex unit. Will start with penetrene and escalate from there.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

What about a bit of warmth into it all?... often helps to create some movement and free up locked bolts etc.

Angle grinder up the side of the steering wheel hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Most wheels are on a taper and require a "jolt" to shock them off, put the nut back on, pull back hard on the wheel and have a mate tap the centre shaft with a hammer, be careful, the shaft is very soft and can be damaged easily.
    You need to try this before you do anything,it's the only way I've seen them removed.the only difference is I've seen them use quite a decent 'tap' on my relatively new boat (years ago).

Thanks All,

I've already tried the hammer, puller, slide hammer - I think it's time for something more destructive

Quote Originally Posted by on-one View Post
    Thanks All,

I've already tried the hammer, puller, slide hammer - I think it's time for something more destructive
    A gadget called a gear puller is often used for this task.

You need a combination, not just a puller or a hammer, you need tension on the wheel, then the hammer, or as mentioned, just cut the wheel off, if you're careful you won't damage the helm.

Sometimes they need pretty firm "gentle persuation". One man pulling back pretty much as hard as he can with the nut undone but in position to protect the thread (and to stop old mate falling on his posterior when it gives) and then hit it. I've never had one not respond with this technique. A bit of heat on the wheel boss wont hurt either.

it didn't give up without a fight but an hour with a drill sorted it out, thanks everyone for the input.