Thread: Double Lip (inner oil outer dust) Steel Backed Oil Seal To Suit Ford?

Double Lip (inner oil outer dust) Steel Backed Oil Seal To Suit Ford?

Hi all, been getting the new rig sorted over th past few months, all those small bits and pieces that you work through in the first yar of ownership to get it the way you want it. Anyway, the new trailer is on 14's, ford hubs/nearings setup with durahub and running as oil fills. Thought i'd give this setup a go in the new rig.

Went to buy a few spare oil seals to suit the other day, went specifically looking for a steel backed, double lip (spring style oil inner and outer dust) type as i reconed these would be better than the single lip standard ones that came witht he durahub kit. Anyway, long story short and after lots of looking with a few bearing joints i hven't been ably to find a double lipped version, only thing i can find is non steel backed type which is about half the depth. You can get the the double lip plus steel back in holden and to suit bigger parallel setups but not in the ford.

I was concerned about using the non steel backed version given a hub doesnt have a housing specifically for the seal as such and when i tested it was way less tighter and secure in the hub than the regular steel backed ones, was concerned about the seal comeing out of the hub.

Has anybody been able to find a steel backed, double lip oil seal to suit ford? or is is everyone who is running a durahub oil fill setup on this hub/axle config just using the single lip version as per what comes with the kit.

Note, i understand there is sometimes some variation on stub axle machining, the O/D where the seal runs can sometimes be inch and 11/16 or 3/4, mine are all bang on inch and 3/4 as per verniers.

Scott

Re: Double Lip (inner oil outer dust) Steel Backed Oil Seal To Suit Ford?

In short no. I ended up finding that by cutting the seal out of a standard holden one I was left with a washer that fitted very neatly over the stub axle for the ford hub. It does mean there is a bit more pressure on the seal which could be a problem for oil filled hubs if it caused a leak. Thus far with grease though it seems ok.

Scottar, thanks, your input always valued! So if i'm understanding yout correctly your working on the concept of using that spacer/washer from the holden set to keep crap away from the main oil seal, right?

Incidently i used to do the same thing as you with standard marine seals to keep them pushed into the stailess housing.

Other option i came up with was machine a ledge into the lip of the hub to suit a bigger o/d double lip but nion metal seal, i recon s standard seal would stay in there fine if it had a houseing to fit into.

Scott

I turn the standard seal backwards so it literally just functions as a washer to prevent the Ford seal riding up over the miniscule lip and moving away from the stainless cup. It does put more pressure on the Ford seal than normal but so far so good. I know some glue their seals on but I wasn't a fan of the concept.

When I had the Stabi, I just did the the Durahub kit the way they say. I know I spent the time with the emery paper and wet and dry to get the axle prepped as they said in the instructions. I still packed my bearings then added the engine honey stuff. It lasted honey a colour quite a while but eventually went milky. I ran them for ages like that and never had an issue, just topping the engine honey stuff up a bit if needed. A mackerel pro I used to fish with was the same. His were milky too. He never had bearing issues but had every other maintence issue under the sun. I'd definately do Durahubs again next big trailer boat for sure but can't help you on the Ford sizing. Mine were just Holden size but I only ran the spring loaded oil seal from the Durahub kit but with good prep.

Thanks Rob, weird there is a spring type double lip in holden but not ford. The single ones work fine apart from the fraser thing!! I just put the standard ones back in on the weekend, agree the Dura's is a good system.

Outstation, I’m pretty sure there is one out there because I used both metal and the rubber coated ones on the old Kevlacat trailer. I found that the rubber ones to be far more durable when being dunked in salt water. I got mine from the bearing joint in Nambour.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Scott,
    Yes they are available, used them for 10yrs on my last (US) trailer, Ford bearings. Best seals were from my trailer supplier (Duralum, in Vic), but also sourced locally from BSC.

The hubs were set up for oil/durahubs but didn’t use oil. BSC version was a bit narrower in profile and also didn’t have as good anti corrosion coating on the metal case. However a good squirt of lano would ensure they lasted as required.

Next week when I am home I will have a look, should have a record of the part number somewhere.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

I obviously had a blokes look when I was chasing them 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I obviously had a blokes look when I was chasing them
    Ha ha, we have all been accused of that scottar

I had it a bit easy, just took my old seal in and asked if they had similar

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app