Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer to fish alone?

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Do you prefer to fish alone?

On the cruise out to my fishing spot yesterday and on the way back home I noticed a lot of boats with only one person on board. Do people prefer to go out by themselves? It was a beautiful Saturday morning so it’s not like it was mid week and people were working etc

I was wondering if like me I’m new to the area and don’t know anyone so only going out with family? Is there guys out there that want to have other guys go on their boats but don’t know how to ask? I know that there is a section for looking for a deckie but I’m thinking more along the lines of looking for a mate to go out with and take turns on who takes out their boat.

Just a thought. I have met a nice bloke at the boat ramp when I helped him put his boat on the trailer and we exchanged phone numbers so we can go out fishing together. Like me he only goes out with his missus or by himself.

Oh and if my wife reads this I love taking you out on “our” boat babe I was just asking questions
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Re: Do you prefer to fish alone?

Fishing alone can be good, you have no one to please but yourself, launching and retrieving can be a challenge at times, anchoring and moving can be hard work, but it's not the end of the world. Having a fishing mate can be rewarding too, it can also lead to arguments about "things" at times, but over all, I usually fish with someone, fishing alone can be interesting when something goes wrong, or you hook a big fish and have to do everything yourself, I once hooked a big Yellowfin on .snapper gear just on dark, I had to get the other lines in, pull the anchor up, start the boat and chase the thing for over an hour, all on my own, once I gaffes it, I then had to find a way to get a 71KG Tuna over the side of a high sided cat, on my own, but, if you HAVE to, it's amazing what you can do.

There are also dangers to fishing alone. Accidentally falling overboard in current or under way, severe hook penetration injuries etc etc. Sometimes shit happens no matter how experienced you are. I used to fish alone a lot many years ago. These days I will still do an inshore run solo in the tinny but pretty much never fish offshore one up.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only fish alone. For me it’s an escape and I don’t have to cater for anyone. After raising a family and doing the “family “ boating things for a couple of decades i want some “me” time and be a selfish old bastard now.

99% solo, I work week on/off so prefer to fish during the week without any boat ramp hassles and even if a couple of mates do come I usually like to do everything myself as I have a good system but is good to have someone to take the trailer up the ramp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I fish alone sometimes and find it very relaxing. Mid week it is fine as the boat ramps are quieter and I can and my time. It can be a bit spooky and I do worry about the "shit hitting the fan". When by myself I wear an auto inflatable life jacket and attach a plb to it, just in case I ended up going overboard for some unexpected reason. I always log on and off with VMR. I do prefer to have another person as it makes it easier to manage overall,but have had times when I can't find any mates available on the day I can go out.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

I like solo, and if I go out with anyone it will be tried and trusted mates. We kno each others strengths and weaknesses so that takes fuss out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Having a fishing mate can be rewarding too, it can also lead to arguments about "things" at times,
    Im not being funny but who bloody argues with someone that has invited you out onto their boat?
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Im not being funny but who bloody argues with someone that has invited you out onto their boat?
    My Brother

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    My Brother

haha ok family aside
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Many pluses and minuses as people have shown.
    When deep drop fishing it is a long haul and can easily be a zero big fish outing so a big fuel burn for maybe one average redfish - I tend to see more benefits solo deep drop as I can also cancel the trip at zero notice if conditions suddenly change - also you may just get one fish for the day and with one person fishing it the other doesn't get your fish :-) - I expect to get better with this type of fishing and will more readily have another onboard once I have some assurety
    Reef fishing I prefer other along as it is guaranteed a feed and suited to more than one line - I can easily fish 3 in the boat and have done with 5 before now. As i am comfortable with this type of fishing it is a real bonus to share the fuel bill so you can then do more trips per dollar.
    In earlier days I have had others along who think they are doing me a favour coming along - expect to be waited on - expect you to serve them like a charter but offer nothing in return - also some have applied pressure if it is quiet - break tackle and offer no replacement - use and lose gear without any sense of bother - expect tackle and rigs and bait all supplied - explained that they never get sick and not take anything and chuck up all over the place - expect you to keep a spot for them whilst they think about it then cancel the day before the trip - I have had quite a few one trip wonders as I call them.
    A few trips back I took a fella out who talked a bit about always hanging on etc then without holding on underway fell against my arm giving me a very sore elbow - obviously soft tissue damage compliments of his 110kg falling against my straighten arm - his response was it didn't hurt him. In addition whilst I was on my knees getting a trolling rig out of the cabin I let him drive for a short spell and he launched the boat over a swell and I free fell onto my kneecap - a knee I have had surgery and staph infection in years back but . . . well you get the drift. Might sound like I am a whinger but . . .
    The above aside it is always good to take out others that are worthwhile. Mostly I have found the best people to take are those that have their own boat and tackle as they are nothing like the paragraphs above.
    Cheers

Trev

I tend to organise trips according to "guests" if I take kids, it's a kids trip, we do kids fishing, and trips are short and are not complicated, a Snapper trip is pretty relaxing affair and easy for visitors of limited ability, kind of like drifting for Flathead, deep dropping is for experienced, non sea sick, prepared to pay their way crew, winter Bream fishing is really simple stuff and suits kids as well as adults, it's shallow water, no sinker, light line stuff, really easy to rig and fish, so, for me, it's a bit of a mixed bag, add in crabbing and lake fishing and I can just about cater for anyone if need be, but I still fish alone now and then.

Mostly solo for me through choice.
    I'm not worried about safety issues.
    Jack.

Most of the time I go solo it's just easyer for me , launching and retrieving doesnt bother me , i dont mind takeing someone out that has his act together fishing and gear wise ,I'm over trying to teach someone and they don't listen and catch nothing and leave when you get home and don't help with the boat to unload and wash down.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Many pluses and minuses as people have shown.
    When deep drop fishing it is a long haul and can easily be a zero big fish outing so a big fuel burn for maybe one average redfish - I tend to see more benefits solo deep drop as I can also cancel the trip at zero notice if conditions suddenly change - also you may just get one fish for the day and with one person fishing it the other doesn't get your fish :-) - I expect to get better with this type of fishing and will more readily have another onboard once I have some assurety
    Reef fishing I prefer other along as it is guaranteed a feed and suited to more than one line - I can easily fish 3 in the boat and have done with 5 before now. As i am comfortable with this type of fishing it is a real bonus to share the fuel bill so you can then do more trips per dollar.
    In earlier days I have had others along who think they are doing me a favour coming along - expect to be waited on - expect you to serve them like a charter but offer nothing in return - also some have applied pressure if it is quiet - break tackle and offer no replacement - use and lose gear without any sense of bother - expect tackle and rigs and bait all supplied - explained that they never get sick and not take anything and chuck up all over the place - expect you to keep a spot for them whilst they think about it then cancel the day before the trip - I have had quite a few one trip wonders as I call them.
    A few trips back I took a fella out who talked a bit about always hanging on etc then without holding on underway fell against my arm giving me a very sore elbow - obviously soft tissue damage compliments of his 110kg falling against my straighten arm - his response was it didn't hurt him. In addition whilst I was on my knees getting a trolling rig out of the cabin I let him drive for a short spell and he launched the boat over a swell and I free fell onto my kneecap - a knee I have had surgery and staph infection in years back but . . . well you get the drift. Might sound like I am a whinger but . . .
    The above aside it is always good to take out others that are worthwhile. Mostly I have found the best people to take are those that have their own boat and tackle as they are nothing like the paragraphs above.
    I love this post because it actually puts everyone else’s comments into perspective. I still can’t believe though that someone who has been invited onto a boat can behave in such a manner as you have described. (Family aside haha) I personally don’t need money for fuel from anyone that I have asked to come because as I see it it’s my boat and I’m going anyway so I don’t need your money for that. I did work out though that a trip out to 60m, fluff about out there and then back uses about $22 in fuel. I spend $50 on bait haha So I like them to offer to bring some bait maybe a bag of ice and there own tackle, rod etc if they have it. My brother in law has broken 3 rods and dropped 2 overboard haha Twice I have not thinking dived over to try and catch them unsuccessfully lol. This is one of his own rods that he broke haha

Attachment 119481

If I get an offer to go on someone’s boat I’m stoked as I’ll be meeting new people from the area and hopefully making good fishing mates which could lead to fishing trips up north. As a passenger you need to be guided by the boat owner but more importantly think about what they are offering and how you can help out, fuel money, bait, tackle, food etc. My nephew always wants to chip in but I never let him but he always always insists on taking home all the fish and filleting them. I ####ing love that because I hate doing it lol. I think I just like the idea of sharing that good fish experience with like minded people.
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki