Re: Do you prefer to fish alone?

Duplicate post to be deleted....
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Most of the time I go solo it's just easyer for me , launching and retrieving doesnt bother me , i dont mind takeing someone out that has his act together fishing and gear wise ,I'm over trying to teach someone and they don't listen and catch nothing and leave when you get home and don't help with the boat to unload and wash down.
    Yeah not offering to help unload and wash the boat down is crap!
    But what type of person does that? Obviously the person that doesn’t get repeat invites haha
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

only take my dad or sister nowadays, never strangers or friends, just to much hassle taken randoms. i can see myself doing more trips solo as i get older, as i dont need alot of conversation to pass the time. talking to myself is entertaining enough.

I quite enjoy my own company and feel right at home in a boat by myself.
    Having said that, I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.
    Another mate is the exact opposite. Too willing to lend a hand. Gets in the way of everything I try to do. He never lets on when he hooks a fish. It just magically appears in the boat. He doesn't play a fish out... he bores it to death with hardly any drag. I call him the silent assassin. He's never learnt what a bow roller is for and has taken more paint of the sides of the boat lifting the anchor than anything else. We have a good time too. A real intense competition between us every trip.
    I won't let them contribute anything but occasionally they throw a few dollars at me. I buy beer with it.
    I won't let them clean the boat coz I'd only do it again behind them. Don't trust them to do it right.
    Another friend is just a pig. He throws more bait and berley in the boat than ever gets in the water. Told him to clean his act up.. so he tries to bring a bucket to 'wash his hands'. No idea but great company.
    None of them have a clue how to fillet a fish. That's my job too.
    I guess it comes down to what you're prepared to put up with.
    But solo days are my favourite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I quite enjoy my own company and feel right at home in a boat by myself.
    Having said that, I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.
    Another mate is the exact opposite. Too willing to lend a hand. Gets in the way of everything I try to do. He never lets on when he hooks a fish. It just magically appears in the boat. He doesn't play a fish out... he bores it to death with hardly any drag. I call him the silent assassin. He's never learnt what a bow roller is for and has taken more paint of the sides of the boat lifting the anchor than anything else. We have a good time too. A real intense competition between us every trip.
    I won't let them contribute anything but occasionally they throw a few dollars at me. I buy beer with it.
    I won't let them clean the boat coz I'd only do it again behind them. Don't trust them to do it right.
    Another friend is just a pig. He throws more bait and berley in the boat than ever gets in the water. Told him to clean his act up.. so he tries to bring a bucket to 'wash his hands'. No idea but great company.
    None of them have a clue how to fillet a fish. That's my job too.
    I guess it comes down to what you're prepared to put up with.
    But solo days are my favourite.
    Based on everything you had previously written it's no wonder hahahahaa

I mainly fish alone in the estuary (well besides the dogs). I enjoy the solitude however I usually bump into to plenty of locals and get to have a chat. Offshore I'm never alone cos I don't have a boat big enough so rely on the kindness of others to take me or I pay for a charter. When I do go on someone else boat I make sure I pay my way and do my best to be as "pain free" as possible to the skip.

Finding a good deckie is like finding a natural pearl in an oyster ....... I'll let you know when I find one

In all seriousness I would probably fish more if I had a reliable deckie - I don't mind fishing solo , but sharing an experience with someone is gold & fishing is often about those wow moments.
    I've got a mate that I do my big trips with & we've fished together for around 35 years - we've probably averaged 1 big trip a year over the past 15 years ……. It's by no means a perfect arrangement as it kind of feels like a charter arrangement (if you know what I mean) - However I know if I plan one of my adventures , he'll be in 90% of the time and that is important for me because it may involve a 2 week stretch.
    There is another mate who lives in Brissy that keeps asking when I'm moving back - The biggest point of contention would be your boat or mine . We both respect what's involved with boat ownership & what it takes to be a good deckie & that goes a long way IMO.

Family trips I do rarely ….. I don't really enjoy it as none of them are boaties / fishoes , so you end up doing everything & wearing the cost . Yeh once a year I usually go somewhere & the young bloke or brother comes along.
    In the end , the boat spends way too much time in the driveway whilst I plan my next adventure. That might change a bit now as old mate has retired & bought a place up at Port Stephens ( a great year round fishing destination around 3hr tow North) - For me a weekender is much more preferable than a day trip. If the weather is good - I'll head up there this Friday.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Yeah not offering to help unload and wash the boat down is crap!
    But what type of person does that? Obviously the person that doesn’t get repeat invites haha
    Too many …. particularly those that don't own a boat.
    Sometimes it doesn't work out that they can assist ……. when you pick them up on the way .

Cost sharing is probably the cause of most angst - specially if offshore fishing where it's fuel & bait …… pretty easy to spend
    $30-40 on bait & another $150-$200 on fuel & too many just don't get it.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.
    This sounds exactly like mine! I’m starting to wonder if he has 2 wives haha
    And same here, we both have a great laugh every trip out
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Happy fishing on my own or with others, either way really..... but I do like to have the company of other boats(s) if far offshore / overnighting for company / safety reasons when I am on my own. I liked Almako's idea last year about getting a group together to head out of Rainbow for a few days...still keen for something along those lines if we can make it happen...

The 1770 M&G were good for that but don't know where everyone has gone now

Inshore happy to take the tinnie out and fish all day by myself, offshore I prefer to have someone with me as a bit difficult for me to launch and retrieve plus totally aware that at my age probably not a good idea, and all of the above comments from others apply to me, also I realise that I could be the offender in their eyes but it is my boat. I don't normally ask for costs except for big trips but if bait is supplied I'll take it otherwise I'll do the lot as it is much easier to organise as there has been occasion when the amount of bait provided has been minimal.

My problem is more that family take up the best fishing weather time with other activities and when I can go during the week everyone else cant make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Happy fishing on my own or with others, either way really..... but I do like to have the company of other boats(s) if far offshore / overnighting for company / safety reasons when I am on my own. I liked Almako's idea last year about getting a group together to head out of Rainbow for a few days...still keen for something along those lines if we can make it happen...

The 1770 M&G were good for that but don't know where everyone has gone now
    Yeah I would really like to do a rainbow overnighter sounds like a good idea.
    Bring on some more good weather
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

I like the freedom of being solo, there's no awkwardness as to where you go or when you make a move.
    Having family and friends on the boat is nice as a shared experience and definitely worth it but it does become a chore if done too much.
    So this happened yesterday- had a great day out solo, coming back in to Port Phillip Bay through the Rip/Heads and if any of you know The Rip, it's like any other bar crossing that requires safety as number 1 consideration. Except the Rip is big, think acres in size big.
    So I was making my way in, probably 2-3 meter running swell mixed in with the usual swirling whirlpools and standing waves here and there. I was doing fine until the boat literally dropped into (I don't know what it's called) a hole of water ??
    It was definitely fading light, I did see the hole coming and I braced for it, but the boat dropped into this hole and my feet were above the deck a few inches.
    I was wearing brand new "boat" gumboots. So when my feet landed I literally lost grip and did the splits as I fell. I ended up flat on my back and instantly had that gut feeling that something didn't feel to good.
    At this stage the boat is still in gear and cruising along with me/solo on the deck, the ignition cut out lanyard stretched out to its limit attached to my belt strap.
    I knew I couldn't just get back up and take control so I yanked the lanyard and the boat stopped. I took a few seconds to compose myself - no bones broken, no claret on the deck or me. But I tore the muscle in my upper leg doing the splits.
    So cruised back a further 20 or so minutes to the Sorento ramp, choosing to ignore the hurt.
    Retrieved the boat solo.
    Packed up the boat solo.
    2 hour drive home - it was worse by the time got home.
    No sleep last night because I stupidly thought it would get better overnight with panadol.
    4 hours in ER this morning.
    But I still prefer solo, I might have to look into some of that deck stick on stuff for grip. Or ditch the bloody boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It just reminds you how shit can hit the fan at any moment.
    Good time to check all the safety gear!
    Actually I just pulled apart and cleaned my bilge pump. I noticed that it stopped last time out.
    Turns out a cable tie had got in there somehow.
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Too many …. particularly those that don't own a boat.
    Sometimes it doesn't work out that they can assist ……. when you pick them up on the way .

Cost sharing is probably the cause of most angst - specially if offshore fishing where it's fuel & bait …… pretty easy to spend
    $30-40 on bait & another $150-$200 on fuel & too many just don't get it.

Chris
    And that is exactly why my bigger boat does about 20hrs a year. And half of that is running it on the driveway. Not many of my mates own a boat and realise the outlay or can afford to share the costs of a big trip. And I've got to watch my pennies too. If they do manage to put up a few bucks then you feel obligated to find fish for them. Too much pressure and usually too much disappointment to simply enjoy the day whereas the little boat costs about a buck fifty for a day out.

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Yeah I would really like to do a rainbow overnighter sounds like a good idea.
    Bring on some more good weather
    Sounds like a plan although knowing my luck it'll clash with some event somewhere, I recall OcciferNick that we were going to go out about a year ago but you had some clashing arrangement at Surfers or somewhere.