Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 130hp Alarming

Re: Yamaha 130hp Alarming

i wont be able to sleep tonight if i cant understand how water can come from the top of the cowling.

Free Membership

The guy at Brisbane Yamaha told us the water coming from the front is nothing to worry about as it's just splash.. not really convinced.
    The water coming out of the tell tail was not hot, nor was the block to touch. It didn't smoke or steam. We will check with the shop we brought it through though and get them to do a thorough check as they are also have a mechanical workshop on site.
    Will update when we have more information incase anyone else gets this problem, especially when we find out what the problem/s are.
    Can't see anything else externally at this point.
    Thank you all for your advice and help.

I just looked at the movie again in super close up, it looks like the water is coming from inside the cowling and leaking out at the join, can't see any "spray" that would be causing it, the tell tale water does not circulate through the engine, it is tapped off before then and is no indication of temperature on that motor, the block being cool to touch however is a good indicator, you did feel it immediately after the alarm went off I hope?

you can buy wax sticks that melt at certain temperatures to check the block temp.

Free Membership

Just for information, we took the boat to the shop, they changed the base plate under the impeller, took it out on the water and it alarmed, checked the heat sensors and changed them, still alarmed, changed the ECU, took it out on the water, it alarmed, tested for overheating..not getting hot, but still alarming, so took the heads off and found a small amount of salt build up right near the heat sensor which was causing a hot spot. Took it out on the water after clean up of salt build up, opened it up and it's all good. They had it out on the water 4 times We are picking the boat up today and will take it out ourselves. Problem solved ( we hope!)

Nice to have it finally sorted, so, did they cover it under warranty in the end, hope so?

If you had a read post #2 and taken note, it would have been fixed two pages ago! what about that water leak? Sounds to me like the dealer doesn't have much clue, swapping parts and hoping, that motor does not have an ECU.

Free Membership

They said it's not leaking water, I did read all the posts, and did talk to them about the suggestions on this post..up to them how they decide what to look for. Better them to fix it then the work is warranted.
    We were only charged for parts, not labour as per agreement, so was just under $200.
    Just happy that it's fixed and we can get back on the water and do some Fishing!

Sandy glad u found the problem summer is just around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by sandy21 View Post
    They said it's not leaking water, I did read all the posts, and did talk to them about the suggestions on this post..up to them how they decide what to look for. Better them to fix it then the work is warranted.
    We were only charged for parts, not labour as per agreement, so was just under $200.
    Just happy that it's fixed and we can get back on the water and do some Fishing!
    Glad it's going as it must a load of your mind. For $200 they obviously replaced the original ECU otherwise you would have needed another zero on the end.

Cheers Sam

It's a 130HP carbureted 2 stroke, it does not have an ECU, don't know what parts were replaced for $200 when the fault was a blockage that requires at best, one head gasket, but regardless, it's fixed, happy days!

Yamaha 130hp Alarming

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's a 130HP carbureted 2 stroke, it does not have an ECU, don't know what parts were replaced for $200 when the fault was a blockage that requires at best, one head gasket, but regardless, it's fixed, happy days!
    Dealer is probably confused with power pack but engine would be running pretty rough if that was the case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

They probably replaced the CDI unit (with a second hand part). Glad it's fixed. Noelm and I know these motors but it always amazes me when dealers don't do the basic and more likely first.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    They probably replaced the CDI unit (with a second hand part). Glad it's fixed. Noelm and I know these motors but it always amazes me when dealers don't do the basic and more likely first.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I just went through a troubleshooting nightmare recently on one of my old donks! Turned out to be an intermittent issue with the kill switch! Was doing my head in after swapping all electrical components from the starboard outboard to the problem port side with no change! Just so happened that accidentally bumped the kill switch wire that it fired up! These new motors can’t come quick enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Yep, it's hard to get s good outboard mechanic. Dirtyfuzz I had an issue a few years ago like yours on a Suzie and it cost me $15 to fix. Mechanic said it is the 2nd thing he checks after the key works. In my case the rubber pin had shrunk on the dead man switch just enough to be intermittent. I believe it's a different system now.