Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 130hp Alarming

Re: Yamaha 130hp Alarming

Water leak flooding the cowling and shorting stuff out??? Any signs of salt ingress under the cowling? Run it with the lid off so you can have a look.

I showed my mates how to do their 115 yammie a few months back i have a crap memory but i think there were rubber rings around the thermostats make sure these are in place because from memory i think that rubber ring sand wiches the thermostat cover to the block had to think back there could be gaskets but im not 100% sure i think there are only seals and u have two thermostats on this engine

You can always start the engine on the muffs with the cowling off hold one hand on each cylinder head towards the top and see if they heat up a simple 10min idle on the muffs should only get to about 30c if everything is working fine

My diagnosed my mates engine of having faulty thermostat about 2 years ago they ran it as is untill replacing it starboard was stuck open

Free Membership

Hi all, thank you for your responses, after replacing both thermostats and the impeller we took it out for test run, within minutes of getting up to 4000rpm, it alarmed and shut down again. After going back into neutral, the alarm goes off and we can go again, but as soon as we hit that magic amount of rpm again, it happens again.
    We did take it for a test drive before buying, but the weather was bad and the guy from the boat shop only opened it up for a short burst, and none of us knew. ( the boat was on consignment) the actual owner did not mention any problems.
    We can travel well at less than 4000rpm, and it is using oil as we just topped it up.Will have to have a look for the other things you all mentioned and rule things out as we go.
    Cheers

What about that water leak?

I had exactly the same problem on 2 old V4 Yammy and it was a case of removing salt build ups. Easy job. Right then for another 20 years

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

It is a very common problem with Yamaha's, and it happens at almost exactly 4,000 RPM, but this one has an unknown water leak too, that needs to be addressed first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It is a very common problem with Yamaha's, and it happens at almost exactly 4,000 RPM, but this one has an unknown water leak too, that needs to be addressed first thing.
    Agreed. Cheers
    Ps. check also for a split in the telltale hose under the cowl.

How about this for a theory, motor runs OK until thermostat opens, exposing water leak to pressure, instead of water circulating in the engine, it's just spraying out, limiting any cooling water? but, so far we still don't know anything about this water leak, remember what I said about helping us to help you?

My money is on salt build up in the smaller cooling passages in one or both of the heads . Had the same problem with a previous 115 two stroke . It's common and only happens at higher revs initially . From memory the ECU cuts spark to one or two cylinders to indicate as well as alarm . No harm in replacing water pump as a precaution first . Bad news is it can be either head so better to do both . It's not a big job . If not confident an honest dealer should not sting you too much .

Chris

It's also very easy to do at home. If you need torque settings for the bolts let me know. Cheers

It is a pretty simple job to do, unless you start breaking bolts, then it becomes a bit of a task!

Free Membership

We took the heat sensors off for the trip home..approaching storm from Redcliffe and it went along at 5000rmp no problems at all. Didn't feel hot, didn't miss a beat. Next trial will be to change sensors and see how that goes. If not, will send it into the shop, they said they will do the labour, we just pay for parts.
    Caught some nice reef fish while we were out though

It's possible but unlikely the sensors are stuffed.

Personally I would not have run WOT when it's probably having water circulation issues and hot spots .....how could you tell it was not getting hot?

Cheers

Yep, sure wouldn't be my choice to do that, regardless of how bad a storm might be, you STILL haven't told us anything about the water leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post