Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drones and aerial photography

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Drones and aerial photography

Ok, drone footage uploaded. Enjoy.

thanks i really enjoyed that footage and the music was awesome, some great shots their and the two boats together for that shot at 5.17 , with the water so smooth and glassy, nice indeed.

what kind of dollars are we talking for a drone to acheive that kind of footage, i couldnt justify buying one of those phantom drones, what could you get for sub $300,

Ausfish Platinum Member

That was a Mavic Pro, he bought it s/hand. Cost him $2,500, not sure what they are new, but I believe they can get exxie when you add the bells and whistles available.

Quiet impresive video Ran well shot and put together

Cat the Mavic is a model in the DJI range u can pick up a DJI Spark for around $400 used as far as i know all the DJI range use professional cameras minus the Tello, the pretty much fly them selvies

I got dicked hard on my deal a week ago when i bought the Spark $*€^@/^ kids! I have little drone experience but a decent amount of radio control experience when i rocked up to this kids house to buy the DJI Spark i hadn't researched them much i dodnt know that u can remove parts quiet easily with no tools and inspect the drone componants i handed over the cash went home and checked it over the following day missing 3 of 4 speed controllers and screws from the main PCB board and battery wont hold charge but i'm working on it moding the lithium polymer 1500mah battery putting in some 3000mah lithium ion batteries

If u get the Spark which fits your budget the stock batteries cost $100 each and are really high tech but fail a lot

You certainly live and fish in some of the best country in the world. So well put together.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thank you. It was asked somewhere why there was no fishing in there. We did plenty of fishing, and it is great fishing, but the drone operator only tried mixing the two a few times, for one small trevally, so it really didn't do much . Just happy to see it, and the boats, from the air. That tiger eating the fish--pure coincidence. he had actually caught a mackerel tuna, fair size, casting off the beach with light gear before breakfast. It took some releasing, as it was worn out, and we thought it had gone off OK. But it must have gotten disoriented and headed up further into the lagoon, instead of out the entrance where it had been hanging about. And the tiger polished it off as he was following a dolphin around with the drone.
    I've just been looking at prices, and it looks like the Mavic Pro has come right down in price, particularly with EOY sales. ( Mavic Air is even cheaper) I know the surfer that used to live over the road had one, and his was getting up over $4K total, 3 years ago. Saw good packages with extra batteries, blades, controller, 4K camera, for under $2K.
    Last edited by ranmar850; 26-06-2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo

Ausfish Platinum Member

Did some more looking, the Mavic Pro is now effectively superseded by the Mavic Pro 2, which is why the original has come right down. Doesn't make the original Pro any worse than it was,Pro 2 just has an even higher quality camera, and a few things like larger range of pan down on the gimbal, and object avoidance side and rear of direction , rather than just forward. So I have one on the way--we are off for our annual 3 weeks or 4 weeks at Ningaloo , and that was always the place where I'd wanted a drone. I'd also forgotten that I can link direct to a Mavic Pro from my Raymarine Axiom Pro, built in app, so I looked that up. Jeez, things are getting clever, just watch this video

Hefty bill if they land in the water on return to boat tho that is why i bought second hand and will be putting floats on my Spark much easier just to land near the boat and pick it up rather than cut someones hand or face trying to land in boat

i like the return to boat feature that is new

Ausfish Platinum Member

Don't undersell yourself, gazza, you'd manage it. Just need to be a bit savvy when you use it, ie, littlewind and not too much up and down on the water. I don't have too much deck room to land, really, so likely be grabbing it when I learn how to drive it. Plenty of practice on land first. Linking it rhough the raymaring UAV app will mean at least it will come back to the boat, rather than where the boat was when it took off

Ran that is a really good feature my spark only has return to home so wherever it took off it will land lol i mostly want stationairy boat views the circling around the boat while hooked up, last summer there were thousands of hungy 45-60cm king fish in port hacking around the boat we caught over 100 fish boated between 4 of us over around 3 hours i would drop my 6lb mono and be hooked up within literly 10 seconds i was actually catching one than taking a break for 10mins than catching another one all up i only got about 8 or 9 my mates were just smashin them in on 20lb+ braid i would love to send the drone up and out 10 meters to video us on days like this the aerial photography would look unreal i could probably pull in 3 fish per battery charge one fish after another

Also want to get some offshore footage using the drone with my big boat out in the rough like they do on boat reviews on youtube

That is the dream.

You cannot beat the DJI camera quality!! The DJI Sparks are on special i think i seen them on ebay for $550 may be refurbished tho still good units if not new, There are a couple other drones which is cheapish with good camera's the Parrot Bebop and M5 drones are pretty good but the DJI's have huge range with there FPV

Ausfish Platinum Member

I went ahead and bought a Mavic Pro Platinum package. All the gear, inc 3 batteries and 2 spare sets of props, bth chargers, backpack, etc. Was $1798 from the nearest Harvey Norman, and, as it really was a last minute buy, coudn't shop around much. Then I paid $219 for the DJI Care Refresh, which gives you two replacements a year for crash damage and water landings. Which is peace of mind for operating over water, for me. You can pick these up for a good price s/hand, the RC forums are a good place, apparently, but you won't be getting that cover I mentioned. And buying an unknown.
    I've been flying a couple of times, getting the feel of it. We are going away for 3 or 4 weeks this Friday, to a remote place we have been going to for a very long time. It has been the subject of a protracted court battle, with the government trying to take over the pastoral lease , which willl doubtless be the end of the tidy, self-reliant camping on the beach we have known. So I want as much footage of it as I can get, hence a good time to buy the drone--you can't take the money with you, but you can generate memories to treasure by using it well.

here are some videos of the place from the last 5 years.

Ausfish Platinum Member

These DJI models have water stickers internally too so DJI tech's will know if its been subbed the stickers are marked "DJI" black on white back ground i think they turn red when they touch water

you live an travel to a nice part of the country Ranmar, Here in Sydney i can't even fly my drone inside my house the DJI blocks access to take off due to living within a 5.5km radius of a hospital that has a heli pad can't even test it in my back yard for battery duration

be sure to post up all your videos and photos I'll be keen to see what that part of the country looks like

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, living semi-remotely certainly has it's advantages. We are 100k from the next town, which is small and had no more services available than we do. Next major town is 160km. Perth is 600km. I can drive for 10 minutes and be up on some cleared reserve out in the scrub, bothering no-one, to practice flying. So I wouldn't even start it at home. One disadvantage is that it is 320k round trip to get the boat serviced for warranty (if they aren't due up) And my work normally involves a 1200 k round trip. We do lots of driving up here.
    Learning some of the pitfalls. Rule 1-watch the wind. We have a windy coast. I've trained as a pilot, and know that the wind speed can double 30 ft off the ground. On my first flight with full control ( out of Beginner mode, 2nd day) I went soaring off into the blue, only to get a "max wind speed velocity exceeded, land ASAP " warning . It was flying backwards, disappearing. I used the telemetry indicators to get it to a lower height, still above the scrub, and it came back fine. Rule 2--when it is windy, and you need to stay low, don't get overconfident. I was practicing zooming around at 2 metres off the ground, and got blown into a wattle sideways. Only damage was to my pride. And only collision so far. But first of many, no doubt.