Thread: Snapper and breaching whale

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Snapper and breaching whale

Hello again everyone,

Went out again today and launched at 5am from the Buddina boat ramp. Wasn’t going to go through Caloundra bar at that time of the morning. As it was I was 2 out to my snapper mark in the dark. Luckily the sea was pretty flat and at 18kn arrived an hour later just as the sun was coming up.

We pottered around looking for bait and came across a really nice rise that I hadn’t seen before. We anchored up and I dropped a whole squid down and it was smashed as soon as it hit the bottom. Landed a lovely snapper about 65cm. At the same time we were dropping down baits we also through out some soft plastics from the back of the boat and let them just drift towards the bottom through the burley trail. Not long after that my soft plastic went off and another nice snapper hit the deck. We landed a few more on the soft plastics and had a number of bust offs on some bigger fish as well.

The wind Indy picked up a bit and we lost anchor a few times so we started to head back in stopping off at a few marks on the way back. Nothing of note was landed but on the way back we saw a massive whale breach a few times nearly getting its whole body out of the water.

When we got back to the boat ramp and cleaning the fish the guys we did see who fished in close said they didn’t get much at all. Really glad we keep heading out to that 50-70m range as there is some regular quality fish and plenty of good ground to explore.

Anyone else get out amongst it today?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E95646F9-E979-48CE-8BD8-9D079CB05A57.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	119456

Name:	3FF5BDEB-C979-4192-B37B-E9B530BDF508.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	119457

My my brother in law takes some really shitty photos lol

cheers
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Re: Snapper and breaching whale

Thanks for the post glad you got a good feed
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Hello again everyone,

Went out again today and launched at 5am from the Buddina boat ramp. Wasn’t going to go through Caloundra bar at that time of the morning. As it was I was 2 out to my snapper mark in the dark. Luckily the sea was pretty flat and at 18kn arrived an hour later just as the sun was coming up.

We pottered around looking for bait and came across a really nice rise that I hadn’t seen before. We anchored up and I dropped a whole squid down and it was smashed as soon as it hit the bottom. Landed a lovely snapper about 65cm. At the same time we were dropping down baits we also through out some soft plastics from the back of the boat and let them just drift towards the bottom through the burley trail. Not long after that my soft plastic went off and another nice snapper hit the deck. We landed a few more on the soft plastics and had a number of bust offs on some bigger fish as well.

The wind Indy picked up a bit and we lost anchor a few times so we started to head back in stopping off at a few marks on the way back. Nothing of note was landed but on the way back we saw a massive whale breach a few times nearly getting its whole body out of the water.

When we got back to the boat ramp and cleaning the fish the guys we did see who fished in close said they didn’t get much at all. Really glad we keep heading out to that 50-70m range as there is some regular quality fish and plenty of good ground to explore.

Anyone else get out amongst it today?

Name:	E95646F9-E979-48CE-8BD8-9D079CB05A57.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	119456

Name:	3FF5BDEB-C979-4192-B37B-E9B530BDF508.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	119457

My my brother in law takes some really shitty photos lol

cheers
    Be thankful your BIL takes photos
    I took a mate out and he held up the camera and said yep 2 good pictures - I got home to computer and sure enough 6 good pics of his snapper and none of mine Good on him
    You were Caloundra wide exploring 50-70m ground?
    Well done thanks for the report

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

If you look on the map it’s between Caloundra and Mooloolabah.
    Its new ground for me as I’m not originally from this area.
    There were a couple of boats out there in that area so that’s why I was asking if any other ausfish members were out and got some fish?
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    If you look on the map it’s between Caloundra and Mooloolabah.
    Its new ground for me as I’m not originally from this area.
    There were a couple of boats out there in that area so that’s why I was asking if any other ausfish members were out and got some fish?
    Yes you can see there is a bit of structure there to explore
    I normally go to The Banks - see top of map - and further NorthClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190612_151806_it.navionics.singleAppMarineLakesHD.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	119462

Cheers

Trev

Poor photos aside it still sounds like a good day out, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Yes you can see there is a bit of structure there to explore
    I normally go to The Banks - see top of map - and further NorthClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190612_151806_it.navionics.singleAppMarineLakesHD.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	119462

Yes Trev it’s a good place to look around. My pearly spot with a huge school on it is in that photo of yours as well. Let me know if you want the marks mate

All I ask is that if I turn up and you are on it don’t start swearing and throwing lead sinkers at me ok haha
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki