Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Etec G2

Re: Etec G2

Graph for 115ho if the weight is around 180kg would be a torque monster for the hpD2DDED17-9FDC-4293-BDD3-DAA269A22AD5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    The 115HP G2 produces good torque at lowest revs of the new G2 machines.
    Do we know the weight? off these yet

As well as a set on the Vagabond they could be a good option on the repower program for Dirtyfuzz's cat.
    Mate I’ve just been reading the specs and got quietly excited! I need to replace the old tie rod steering system anyway with the repower am trying to find the weight of the 115 g2 with isteer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think having a service done is not always based on time, it's just a set price per HP (probably set by what the local customers will pay) and lots of places do nothing more than what you would do st home, but, a decent dealer does a lot of unseen adjustments, checking of possible known issues on particular models, attention to minor issues probably not noticed by the owner and lots of other "stuff" reputable dealers are pretty rare in lots of areas.
    Yeah that all rings pretty true I think Noel...mechanics are no different to any other job ..some will just go through the motions to collect a pay check whilst others take pride in their work and knowledge....it can be a little challenging for the average punter to figure that out as some can spin a good yarn as well...

Steve I didn't realize you were just talking about a 20 hr service.....mate that's just to drop the oil out as you should do with any new 4 stroke motor, marine or otherwise,and have a bit of a check to see if everything is tight and doing what it should.....….don't think that's anything near what you will pay when they do an actual annual service on it....

That 4 stroke 150 motor that had the 1st year service for $880 cost $350 for its 20 hr service....and $120 of that was the manufacturer specified oil to fill its 8 litre sump...I would imagine a 50hp would not hold that much oil thankfully..but genuine parts ,specified oil..we all know what that means..$$$...

Its just a fact Steve....Services during the warranty period for any 4 stroke will be substantially more than an ETEC...

What has this got with considering what engine to buy...?...well its just one factor....there is also downsides such as far less resale value on Etec.....that's also a fact.....some people pay stupid money for 2nd hand 4 strokes...

Each to their own...But the fun factor of an Etec...how do you put a price on that..?

BTW, I'm still actually weighing up which engine to buy Honda,Yamaha or ETEC.....Etec G2 is ahead by a nose at the moment...

That’s a annual service
    A annual service does not mean everything gets replaced

It’s just I’ve only done that amount of hours but will still get done annually

If it needs plugs it will get plugs if it needs a impeller it will get one
    Yamaha plugs can last 3-4- 10 years as well hours don’t relate to years

Same as a etec used in salt water same as any outboard brand

Lazy mechanics just replacing everything at a set date and is just fleecing people

I had a etec that had a oil failure a early 75hp at 6 years old hence my reluctance to ever own another and there marketing is Well crude

I don’t tow biscuits or skiers or punch out through bars so the extra acceleration or grunt makes no relevance to me
    But then if you fit sufficient horsepower to a hull you won’t have a issue anyway

And people don’t pay silly amounts for a four stroke that’s just your view
    they pay what the market is setting the price at v demand

Ausfish Platinum Member

Five pages of an Etec thread, and it has not degenerated into a mud-sling sh*tfight. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Five pages of an Etec thread, and it has not degenerated into a mud-sling sh*tfight. Amazing
    because everyones given up and bought yamahas?

had to sorry

I think the g2 etecs probably are a lot better. With the focus on reliability and repairing the brand. Look how long it took to bring out the second engine. And the fuel efficiency really is there now as opposed to half way with the g1's

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

I had a etec that had a oil failure a early 75hp at 6 years old hence my reluctance to ever own another and there marketing is Well crude
    At just 23 hrs on your 4 stroke, I wouldn't worry about seeing a mechanic, mate.....a therapist might be more useful ….

Therapist ?
    crude in as written in American grandiose terms with their stupid towing other brands backwards and no service claims

still got warranty so don't have a choice
    for every hour of outboard use there would be 4-5 hours of electric use

I have only ever had 1 engine serviced by a shop for its 10 hour i was only charged the amount no receipt given had to go back to get book stamped, for those of u pay these bog bucks are u getting a break down of all servicing cost right down to the lube cost? Surely they cannot pull the wool over your eyes if they do spread it all out

I know today its hard to find a eager mechanic in general often this trade they are slow and take there time having a yarn and walking around.. while your paying the labor

Ok guys so I have to make a decision on a motor real soon....

This weekend actually if I choose Etec and want the 10 year warranty...

So do we think the injector problems of the past have been fixed in the G2...?..

and are there any issues with the new models other than the inbuilt steering which I wouldn't get anyway..?

Personally I wouldn’t choose the etec. I know many people who choose boats on one factor must have a four stroke. Anything else will kill the resale on the whole boat.....

I love Etec technology and i truely think they are the leaders in technology but the resale value cops a flogging due to the G1 engines leaving a lot of unhappy campers, me personally i would be happy with any brand new engine that has decent warranty because this will be your back up if anything fails you just need to be on the ball with services on time and within hours

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I love Etec technology and i truely think they are the leaders in technology but the resale value cops a flogging due to the G1 engines leaving a lot of unhappy campers, me personally i would be happy with any brand new engine that has decent warranty because this will be your back up if anything fails you just need to be on the ball with services on time and within hours
    yea , i get it, say it often enough and people will believe it. G1 issues? Man that was almost 15yrs ago. Well proven now. Yea, we will cope all sorts of shit like " i had a dud", as if nobody elses 4 stroke was a dud.
    you dont want one, you dont have to buy one. If you have information that says 10% of etecs are duds, i'll eat my hat, till then, eat my wake.

If your going to keep it forever buy whatever brand is well supported in your area, no point buying something you have to tow 300km for a service or wait for parts if doing It yourself

If buying hoping to change every 5-6 years look at what Is moving and whats not, on the classified sites or talk to your dealer and see what he says regarding trade in valuations.

the merc 200hp Is a nice looking engine and 30kg lighter both will be 3.4l v6s , a 200hp Yamaha is a significantly smaller 4 cylinder engine