Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Etec G2

Re: Etec G2

The Etec spark plugs are not cheap from memory they are not your average NGK's but a good thing is from my research the Evinrude oil does not have an expiry date, There oil is pretty good it can be used in regular old carb 2 stroke to stop them smoking i put some thru my Mercury ran pretty good

Ausfish Platinum Member

I just realised I have a 3+3 warranty--there is a sticker over the 3+2 section in the warranty logbook. So I rang the dealer. I was wondering whether there is an hours limit on this--at my current rate of useage, which I hope will go up even more, I'll easily have 1400 hours up in six years, possibly 1600. So I quizzed him on this and got a moments silence. "I'll have to check on that" I await his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I'm told the service intervals for the G2 are now 5 yrs..

So what is a service for an Etec and does that mean you don't have to look at your motor for 5 years ……?...….Of course not....

Basically for motor that is regularly flushed and well maintained a service is going to be

Change plugs
    Change gearbox oil
    Change waterpump and impellor.
    Change fuel filter and water separator...

inspect and Maybe change anodes..

There really is not much to a 2 stroke and so many fewer moving parts and systems than a 4 stroke..

The biggest concern with the motor is that it gets clean fuel so the water separator should be changed yearly...

It also pays to occasionally remove your prop and check for line or leaks or damage to seal..maybe even have a look at the gearbox oil to check there is no water in it..

Any other thoughts out there or things I have missed...?

IMO the 4 stroke motor thing is a racket to keep dealer workshops ticking over.. ….a fella I know that has had his motor for a year.has payed $1300 for servicing costs for 76hrs use of his Suzuki...I have seen the receipts....if he doesn't service either yearly or every 100 hrs it he loses his warranty....Racket..!...
    I think you may be way underestimating the simplicity bit, an e-tec is a long way from being comparable to an old 2 stroke, and they indeed to have complicated "systems"

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    This whole thing about no servicing for 300 hrs and a ten year warranty?
    https://www.evinrude.com.au/BuyAnEng...Perfect10.aspx

says it all there

if you read evinrude Australia's warranty info in salt water it still needs several annual checks by a owner/mechanic somethings couldn't be done by the average guy so they still need a yearly service

Ausfish Platinum Member

Had a quick reply, from state distributor level. As long as the vessel is registered as recreational, hours are unlimited. For six years. Is the 10 year Etec warranty unlimited hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think you may be way underestimating the simplicity bit, an e-tec is a long way from being comparable to an old 2 stroke, and they indeed to have complicated "systems"
    Noel...I was referring to servicing requirements...of course we all know what a high tech bit of gear they are...

Besides the things I listed what else would you think would be done on a regular service besides maybe the odd software update and a quick laptop check to see if anything is amiss....

I haven't looked at the 10 year warranty fine print...…
    I wonder if a warranty claim at 9-10 years would really only cover known faults with the particular model...you would have to think that wear and tear would be an easy out for them that far down the track....

I would think at a minimum the oil system would be attended to (a home handyman would not do this) ensure cooling to the EMM is OK, injectors checked all these things take time.

saltwater use they want checked every 12 months by owner or service agent
    thermostat pull check replace if needed
    plugs pulled checked
    anodes checked and pretty sure one is on the prop shaft
    grease tilt assembly and any movement points
    check water pump and impellar

doesnt seem much diff to a four stroke just a oil filter and oil v different things with the etec
    much diff as in stuff still needs to be done

Bit of flag waving.

Certainly waving a big flag! I have said this before, and it's based on nothing but my thoughts, every manufacturer is/has dropped 2 strokes from their range, except BRP, so far, they are putting all their eggs in one basket (this has nothing to do with what's better or worse) currently, BRPs world wide market share is low, and shrinking slightly all the time, whether the 2 stroke only kills them off, or proves a master stroke remains to be seen, I think (not based on anything) that it will prove their undoing, with Mercury making lighter 4 strokes, the new Evinrude have balance shafts top and bottom and this is introducing more weight to what was once the 2 strokes selling feature, weight and perceived simplicity, time will tell! Please don't take this as a stab at two strokes, I have had many, including DFI Evinrudes.

There was an article I can’t find but it basically said if they had to retool to make fourstrokes it would not be economically feasible

Three cylinder engines are not easy to keep vibration free hence the need for balance shafts balance gears or dampeners or as some cheaper cars they just accept the extra vibrations

Ausfish Platinum Member

They sort of intrigue me ( g2's at least) and sort of repel me. I would happily do extended product testing if some one would supply a 200 G2, with alll rigging and fitting , of course The same goes for a V6 200 merc, as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I would think at a minimum the oil system would be attended to (a home handyman would not do this) ensure cooling to the EMM is OK, injectors checked all these things take time.
    Thanks for the heads up...I'll have a chat to the service agent about the maintenance required on the oil system..

I was also never informed that regular checks on injectors were needed either...?

Evinrude went back to RAVE valves that is pretty old school they had problems on the last 951cc 2 stroke they built with dropping valve clips into the cylinders I'm sure they have over come this

i like how they can lift the engine with the cowling on, 30 percent more fuel saving is that over the already learn burning Etecs or just an overall saving?

good video i like it

With all advertising "blurb" 30% fuel saving would be compared to "something" at a certain RPM, not overall compared to the previous same HP model (I would think) like torque, most give a peak/maximum torque, when what really matters is the curve, traditionally, 2 strokes have a very high peak, build up and drop off sharply, most 4 strokes have less, but it's much flatter, giving better, more constant power, this once again, is not saying they are not OK, but, they are different, I spent decades building and modifying 2 strokes, and know a bit about them! to be 100% fair DFI and computer control helps a lot with smooth idle and a better torque curve.