Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat repower

Boat repower

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Jb marine in ingham has done at least one 2400 from suz140 to merc115
    That would be interesting, I wonder if they would be generous with info if I gave them a ring, the new ones are coming out with the 3.0L Merc 150, seems a bit of overkill to me but would fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Boat repower

Fuzz not sure about going from old school 2 stroke to new 4 strokes but when i had a vintage 20hp i went and bought a new 18hp Tohatsu the power increase was huge the fuel economy went right up a tank often lasted me 3 trips to port kembla with the Tohatsu the speed would have been easy over 40kph that thing flew on a tiny 3.75 Ally Craft

hopefully u see the same from a new set of engines

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Yeah that’s what I was referring to also, had the boat in getting the stainless work done for the duckboard a few months ago I wasn’t really thinking about going larger than 115 but I’m now a bit concerned that maybe the 115 4 strokes might struggle getting on the plane as quick as I would like!

The Zuk 140 has max 165nm torque at 4500rpm, the merc 115 has max 162nm at 3500rpm. So similar torque but 1k rpm earlier - don’t expect the mercs to be any slower out of the hole than the Zuk 140 which is a very top-end engine.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    The Zuk 140 has max 165nm torque at 4500rpm, the merc 115 has max 162nm at 3500rpm. So similar torque but 1k rpm earlier - don’t expect the mercs to be any slower out of the hole than the Zuk 140 which is a very top-end engine.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    Plus the Merc has the option of command thrust. Low down torque, accounting for the weight saving compared to the suzuki, would have me believe it would be quicker out of the hole than the Suzuki, by some margin. The pro XS also rev's out that little more as an option. I would be looking at the weight on the bum saving here. I remember seeing tests they did comparing the new Merc 115 vrs the old Merc 125 Opti, the 4 stroke had a better hole shot and top end, not by much, but it showed it's performance compared to the Opti. I like the 140's and may go that way myself, but it's hard to go past the new Merc's in all honesty.....

low down torque, now ya talking max NM at 3500rpm , why the suzi needs to wind up another K more to compete.

The only advantage in a pro XS is at the top end of the RPM range where they top out higher than the standard 115. They’re designed for the bass boat market, so unless you intend screaming around at WOT I’d Recommend sticking with the standard 115 command thrust & propping it to run at the best power curve RPM.

New mercs made to be easy to service. Check out this vid.

Twin engines thats a big saving. 115 same

Boat repower

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    The only advantage in a pro XS is at the top end of the RPM range where they top out higher than the standard 115. They’re designed for the bass boat market, so unless you intend screaming around at WOT I’d Recommend sticking with the standard 115 command thrust & propping it to run at the best power curve RPM.
    Cheers mate! I had the impression that even though it is increasing the wot to a higher a rpm and matched with the ct box it would also give a bit more wiggle room for prop selection to increase acceleration ie. drop the pitch down!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

There is a Suzuki 140hp for sale now on FB can't recall the year model i think maybe 2010? the shop is asking $7000 i have noticed when u get up around that sort of HP they start to depreciate more so than the smaller 115hp models

140hp new $18,000?
    140hp 10 years old about $7000

115hp new $13,000?
    115hp 10 years old about $6000

much easier to sell the 115's in 10 15 years fits a broader range of family boats but this is from only my research i often like the bigger enginesbecause u get so much more bang for your buck so to speak because they are lesser likely to sell

great video , great mercury outboard for the DIY home service, valve lash and timing chain need never be adjusted, Mercury does it again.

The CT gearbox is intended to allow for more torque, as an engine reaches WOT the torque actually drops off so no gain there. The higher rpm is purely for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    great video , great mercury outboard for the DIY home service, valve lash and timing chain need never be adjusted, Mercury does it again.
    That's not exactly new.

G2 evinrude out now in a 115,40,50. (Small block) 10 year warranty at the boat show.....

Who does major engine servicing there days ?
    Even my ride on lawnmower has a fancy Kawasaki four stroke on it that I can’t do anything but change filters and oil

Performance emissions all comes with more technology

Great motor the Kawasaki; as I understand the only one with an oil pump vs splash lubrication which is not fabulous on steep side slopes. My one is going great!.
    What size do you want to service?
    What could go wrong.......................