Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat repower

Boat repower

Time has come to give the ole girl a repower and am tossing up between twin Mercury 115 pro xs or suzuki 140 I believe the Mk1 Kevlacat 6.2m has a max horsepower rating of 115 and recommended 90, currently has Evinrude 115 2 strokes 144kg and I carry two spare 45L fuel tanks in each rear corner, the pods and scupper is still above the waterline, with the repower I will be either modifying the existing pods to follow the hull line and give a bit more flotation or fitting 2400 pods!
    Dry weight 25”Mercury 115 pro xs 163kg
    25”Suzuki 140 183kg
    If I went down the 140 route what is involved in upgrading the max horsepower rating for a boat? I believe the mk2 hull with wave breaker has a max horsepower of 140.
    So in conclusion I will be increasing transom weight of 19kg per side for similar horsepower or 39kg per side for an extra 50 horsepower! I’m leaning towards the Suzukis mainly because they have been proven on the 2400!
    Any suggestions welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Boat repower

You done with the dirty's fuzz lol good move mate i think you'll do without those jerry can's so u will lighten the ass end a bit maybe enough to counter weight the 140 zuk's?

i would rather go Mercury much better and more populated engine but in saying that my little niece bought a brand new Suzuki Swift 3 years ago she has never checked the engine oils or coolants and just takes it in for its regular servicing never had a problem

I’ve been waiting for our house to sell in Brisbane and the boss said I can now get some new motors!

Fuzz u may need to buy the wife some flowers lol

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Fuzz u may need to buy the wife some flowers lol
    She is well ahead believe me!

There will be a catch for sure. My hard top has so far cost a trip tp tassie and a trip to Vietnam that most certainly was not in the budget.

id be thinking the mercurys because they are lighter, id chose less weight than gain a little more power. did you feel underpowered with the 115s two strokes if not then the mercurys should be good, with the suzukis with 39kg per side extra , and a couple of fat ones down the back wet feet wet feet wet feet, not very nice at all.

Just been doing a bit of research and it seems the 115 has similar numbers down low as the 140, boat weighs full of fuel gear and people 2.5t so holeshot and midrange torque is more important than top speed and it seems the pro xs variant may be the go, without having to worry about insurance issues going over max rated horsepower! Was also looking at the Yamaha 115 but I think they just may be a bit undergunned for a 2.5t boat! Have no evidence to prove this though just experience has shown me with other heavy machinery that smaller displacement unless turbocharged will not match larger displacement!

The merc's are 2.1L i think zuk's 2.04L so very similar i looked at the specs yesterday one of them had close to a box engine bore x stroke from what i have read when u get a box engine they are hard to kill ie 80x80mm stroke bore as a refference

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The merc's are 2.1L i think zuk's 2.04L so very similar i looked at the specs yesterday one of them had close to a box engine bore x stroke from what i have read when u get a box engine they are hard to kill ie 80x80mm stroke bore as a refference
    Suzuki 115/140 86mmx88mm
    Mercury 115 pro xs 90mmx81mm

Terry have you checked with Alan what's involved, he would have all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Terry have you checked with Alan what's involved, he would have all the details.
    Yeah mate I’ve talked to him about going the mercs not the Suzuki’s though!, they are going to do all the pod mods!

I was referring more re the upgrading of the manufacturers plates. It could be included as part of the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I was referring more re the upgrading of the manufacturers plates. It could be included as part of the rebuild.
    Yeah that’s what I was referring to also, had the boat in getting the stainless work done for the duckboard a few months ago I wasn’t really thinking about going larger than 115 but I’m now a bit concerned that maybe the 115 4 strokes might struggle getting on the plane as quick as I would like!

Jb marine in ingham has done at least one 2400 from suz140 to merc115