Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is constantly on my mind as a diy boat rebuilder

Re: This is constantly on my mind as a diy boat rebuilder

most boating accidents are skipper error, thats why life jackets are a back up just in case, sure some boats sink when they hit something so if this is a concearn for you then definetly put in floatation.

Is underfloor areas the only place for extra floatation

Just underfloor will generally turn the boat upside down and not self right the boat

Under gunnels Inside pockets is suppose to keep them upright if swamped, I doubt it would self right a flipped boat

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Just underfloor will generally turn the boat upside down and not self right the boat
    Under gunnels Inside pockets is suppose to keep them upright if swamped, I doubt it would self right a flipped boat
    On my boat, all the sides have been blanked off with welded aluminium sheets and foam filled under the floor and all the way up to the gunwales (about 2.2Cubic meters foam). So it shouldn't sink, it can still fill up with water and might flip in a bad ocean but it will still keep floating. Hopefully I will never find out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    when you sell your boat will you tell the new owner what youve done to it ?
    This is an important question. I have a highly modified, road registered Suzuki Sierra that will show up the vast majority of 'real' 4wds off the beaten track and has done some decently long touring trips with a 5x3 trailer on the back. Fun as all get out.

But, while I can drive it perfectly safely on road, that's because I know its handling quirks and have over a decade of experience driving it in all sorts of conditions. I haven't driven it for almost four years now (kids...) but it sits in the shed regardless because I can't sell it. I mean I could, but I couldn't live with myself if someone killed themselves in it.

IMO if you go all out on a project then you have to be prepared to own the outcome. I'll never get rid of the Sierra - it'll hang around for me to use with the kids when they're old enough, then probably go sit on a friend's farm for farm use only until it moulders into rust. C'est la vie.

do you fear the transom will break apart gazza and start sinking. remember matthew flinders rowed a open boat from here to there, sure they rolled the boat a few times ha ha but its always going to float being wood, seriouslly your doing the research and using the proper materials i dont think youll have a problem , unless you start driving it like the cigarette racing boats ,

Hey Cat i have no experience fibreglassing so i don't yet know my ability a few people have told me i could hang 2x 250hp off my transom and that i over built it, after seeing that recent video of the 6 layer transom skin from a ship wright going to hang a 150hp Mercury off it i have some confidence in my work but since i have no hands on experience its all a learning curve

Its a bit like saying u can ride a bicycle without even having sit on one

My first fibreglass job was last year strengthening the anchor well to take a drum anchor and I was amazed at how strong the stuff is! I used 2 Layers of choppy and 2 layers of double bias and is still holding in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁