Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is constantly on my mind as a diy boat rebuilder

Re: This is constantly on my mind as a diy boat rebuilder

You take it as negative that’s your issue

The fact is that boat will be sold one day and you’ve just made a post about the safety issues then go off on some weird arse rant when asked about it

It was a question with a yes or no answer
    Everything else you have ranted about wasn’t implied by my question

This isn’t a forum to arse kiss gazza on

It’s here to show and discuss boats
    If I did something that was incorrect and people pulled me up well that’s life you accept it and fix rectify your views

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Has anyone ever been in this position? Capsizing or sinking at sea scares the living daylight out of me

Noticed old maye had the epirb in hand do the arm band personal epirbs work just as good?

The PLB's work just as well as the epirb, as far as the signal goes. But... An Epirb is guaranteed for being able to send a signal for at least 48 hours. The PLB only guarantees a signal for 24 - 30 hours.

You could have an Epirb and a PLB on board, a PLB on its own won't meet the maritime requirements.

Some people can't afford to pay the cost of getting repairs done at a shop and MANY have successfully repaired there own boats to get them on the water.
    I Say, buyer beware, if you buy an old boat without checking it out properly, more fool you, we've all been caught.
    Then there is those that just plain have to much money or don't like doing the hard graft, or actually giving the rebuild/repair a go. No one is actually right or wrong which ever way a second hand boat is repaired/restored. Having a go in my books is what it's all about. Mine will have re-build photo's, so if I ever sell. they can be shown and a decision can be made from there. Gazza's rebuild, is detailed on a public forum, nothing much hidden with his rebuild so far.
    Gazza. Don't take the bait, Your an easy target mate, because you react and that's exactly what I've been seeing for quite a while,,,, you know that saying, give a man a spade, and he'll dig himself a hole.............LOL.

Just Saying......
    Col

There is always one dud in a pack Col i hear ya i just always find i am defending my self and my actions to Stevej nothing i ever do is good enough for his standards and he is akways judgemental than he goes on to use reverse psychology to make out its all my problem

Thanks Bre i looked at the epirbs last night but the differences were not clear, i'd like to wear the plb on my arm at all times when offshore have watched some horror stories where it has taking guys hours to reach and activate there epirbs

The PLB will not meet your mandatory safety requirements Gazza. You can get one if it sets your mind at rest however you will still need to purchase a proper marine EPIRB and as has already been recommended, get the GPS version as it will speed up SAR efforts. The big thing with events like this is prior preparation and if you are really concerned - training. We run monthly vessel abandonment drills as part of being commercial mariners and have to have completed a certificate of safety training every 5 years that covers survival techniques for these sort of situations - sharks aside. The training itself isn't cheap but the AMSA Survival at Sea manuals can be purchased by anyone - might be worth grabbing a copy. You are probably making the most important step right now by simply trying to educate yourself - the next step is putting equipment and processes in place so you know in your own mind you are as best as is practical, equipped to deal with the situation. I also second the sentiment of looking at some sort of life raft if it sets your mind at ease and trying as best you can to get positive floatation into your boat won't hurt either.

I was planing on putting foam under the floor for flotation if i did take a freak wave over the side or in a frantic move we all moved to one side netting or gaffing a fish and we flipped i would want to know the boat would stay a float, i am worried about going in the drink because I'm not a good swimmer can swim 5 10 meters possibly ore if my life depended on it but offshore currents are fast and i would likely have no chance

preparing is the key i would rather know now how to take on the situation even if it never happens rather than be in the situation and have no clue

thanks for the tip on the GPS i thought they all had GPS

Invest in a good inflatable life jacket Gazza - if you don't like the vest types, look for one of the bumbag ones like Michael Guest uses. Don't be afraid to enquire about adult learn to swim classes either.

Lol what a crock of crap I’m not targeting you for fun Just asking questions in threads you start.
    As I said this isn’t Gazzas forum so you will get responses you may not agree with
    That’s life

Your boat requires a certain type of epirb to go offshore a pleb isn’t it
    It’s in your boat rules
    And epirb or plb you may still be in the water for hours to be rescued

And blacklab there’s repairs and there’s rebuilding a whole boat

Have seen shockers where boats have become unstable or rolled over due to increased floor heights to get that floatation in
    Fact the boat would never have rolled in the first place if the origional floor height was maintained must have gone over the head of the owner

Many old boat designs can’t be modinised as just makes them lemons

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Lol what a crock of crap I’m not targeting you for fun Just asking questions in threads you start.
    As I said this isn’t Gazzas forum so you will get responses you may not agree with
    That’s life

It’s in your boat rules

Have seen shockers where boats have become unstable or rolled over due to increased floor heights to get that floatation in
    Fact the boat would never have rolled in the first place if the origional floor height was maintained must have gone over the head of the owner

You know out of that last post u have not said anything of value, i suggest u read the rules on safety gear no epirb is required up to 2NM in open waters

I get the horrors when i read posts with questions about what resin to use, just before they embark on a major boat restoration project.
    Yes, even professionally built boats can fail. You need to do your homework before buying any boat.

That’s life

It’s in your boat rules

I agree hole heartedly that "some" have built absolute death traps in there endevour to save some coin,
    However I will say, you exaggerate ! and you imply that most that are done by the owners indeed end up like this, in fact you have dramatised this to imply that no one else is competent enough to do so apart from qualified shops. While I am sure that some "death traps" do get done at home and should not be re launched, I'd bet a pound to a dollar, there's more home rebuilt boats still floating fine than all the supposed bad jobs you've seen.
    Me thinks your targeted subject, took the bait and you succeeded with your end aim.

Just saying........

Col

i will say you have drawn assumptions where none are there to make, just cause im one who doesn't tip toe round the bloke doesn't mean im "targeting" him when I point out something is wrong.
    that trailer thread is a case in point

gazza started the thread and the simple question was would he tell people of the work done to the hull to take it away from standard.

i will say you have drawn assumptions where none are there to make, just cause im one who doesn't tip toe round the bloke doesn't mean im "targeting" him when I point out something is wrong.
    that trailer thread is a case in point

gazza started the thread and the simple question was would he tell people of the work done to the hull to take it away from standard.
    Your very much like me, straight to the point.
    However, it seems you've made it your mission to ensure Gazza is bought to task, being someone that "doesn't tip toe around the bloke" doesn't give you the right to hold him to task when ever he starts a thread, drop the bone mate, let Gazza find out for himself, let him have a go with what seems to be his outlet and his interest. I draw assumptions from what I've read over the journey, and to be honest, Gazza has rubbed a few people, probably said a few things which were better left, but being judge jury and executioner isn't a self appointment.
    The simple question you asked, was out of context on what he posted, it was a deliberate targeted go at the bloke.
    FFS, push the ignore button and move on, let the guy at least learn from his mistakes, at least he's haven a crack.....

just sayin....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You know out of that last post u have not said anything of value, i suggest u read the rules on safety gear no epirb is required up to 2NM in open waters
    ill leave it here as blacklab has pointed out

its just a shame the ignore function doesnt really work that well on here