Thread: Rollers (for Trailer)

Rollers (for Trailer)

Quick question.

I have a fibreglass boat (Seafarer V-Sea). I need to replace all rollers on my trailer

My question is - are all rollers the same or are there good and bad

Suggestion of brand and type appreciated

Current trailer is similar to this (picture taken from Internet)

IMG_3227.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Rollers (for Trailer)

The typical response is that you need the red rollers for a glass hull because they are softer. I bought new rollers a while ago, bought the red ones because that's what everyone recommended but after doing more research the colour means nothing these days. The material that the red and blue ones are made from is often the same, I got this from a manufacturer.
    I now have the grey ones and they are a lot softer of the hull.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

As above, colour does not mean much, you can feel the difference in the rollers though, they make rollers for ally boats which are totally different to the ones for GRP boats so do not get those, you can feel that they are rock hard as you try to squeeze them or lightly tap them against something. If you get those they will severely damage your GRP hull, it would be like bouncing the boat on straight metal. Wherever you buy them they will usually have different types next to each other and once you find and feel the hard ones you will notice the difference between those and the softer ones straight away.

The ones for GRP are much softer, usually the black ones are a synthetic rubber and you mainly see those on the bottom as Keel rollers and sometimes as wobble rollers, nowadays you mainly see red, blue or grey for wobble rollers but just check that they are soft. Although I have also seen translucent and yellow ones as well, so colour is no indication of hardness. It is the plastic that they are made from which determines their suitability for GRP boats.

On my trailer which is for an 18.5Ft boat and is similar to your pic but has a extra keel roller setup, I replaced the three single rollers with 2 double black rollers to give more support, the last one closest to the back had a soft self aligning red roller so I kept that and just added a double bracket and put a black one next to it as well. The front single roller I left the same (in black). All my wobble rollers are blue.

In case anyone is interested I have quite a few new spare 8" black rollers which are up for grabs, 5 for $15.

Cheers

These rollers with the arched ribs are great. None of that buzzing as the hull rolls on or off.
    https://www.busybee.com.au/product/b...nch-by-jakaar/

my local advised me that red is for glass. blu for alloy , red does feel softer though but i never did find out some are smooth and some are ribbed?

they look good , but could the rib bit be for less salt accumalating on the hull?

Hello Shakey,

I am very far from being a roller/ trailer setup guru,and I don’t know if you are in the Brisbane area but if you are try these guys.Good advice and really cheap prices.

http://www.vikingrollers.com.au/

Crack

I have grey rollers on the trailer for my glass boat - since 2006 - no issues.

Sorry ladies & gents. I’m overseas and had forgotten about this. Thanks for the info and I’ll get onto it on my return.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums