Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey guys while you're considering lead acid filled vs lifepo4 etc.. i recall reading about a guy that was out boating solo and his boat capsized he was found clinging to the hull with reported burning to his skin from the salt water

Heres a bit of food for thought.. if your running 3x lead acid filled batteries and u capsize the leaching acid may be a concern with your skin..
    I’m pretty sure it would well and truly be diluted Gazza.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

I doubt that any burns were caused by battery acid if the batteries weren't damaged and just leaked out acid. Having the batteries submerged would force water going in to them via the air vents to fill the slight gap between the cell acid level and the top of the inside of the battery, If by some chance the acid did get pushed out of the batteries, it would be in extremely small amounts so in salt water, the acid would be instantly neutralized by the salt water which is alkaline, whereas in fresh water it would be significantly diluted to the point where it wouldn't matter. Either way it would not cause any burns to the skin.

If the batteries exploded or something similar and covered the person with acid on the skin before sinking then yes he could have got burnt as Sulfuric acid is nasty, but to stop further damage you would need to jump in the saltwater to neutralize it or in fresh water to dilute it, if the batteries are undamaged then I can't see it happening due to that. Just my 2 cents worth.

Seems to me the only actual fishing Gaz does is here on Gazfish..he sure knows how to reel in the big ones though...

This meme is from Gazza's facebook page...It says a whole lot about his character doesnt it..?

gazza 2.jpg

pppppppppppppp

I didn't mean to join a slinging match, I was just putting in my 2c worth how I thought it would be unlikely.

Yap Yap....there he is right on cue..Gazza's little lap dog ......dont know what he said but I'm sure its very classy and witty.....sit boy sit...
    I'm sure Gazza will let you off the chain for a sh!t later...or did you just do it..?

lapdog.jpg

pppppppppppppp

BTW I'm not interested in arguing with anybody..

I just thought in my thread I was entitled to point out that Gaz seems to often jump in too many threads with some outlandish remarks to try and get some attention and create drama...often totally derailing the thread.

A shame he cant find some fulfilment in more meaningful ways..because he does seem to have some useful knowledge stored away.

Nuff said from me....over to you Lapdog..I know you have some wise words of wisdom that i wont be able to see but will make you feel much better about yourself regardless...but there is something really sad about a silly 70 year old goat wanting to duke it out on a forum with someone they dont even know and will never meet....didnt you start a blue just a couple of days ago..?...thats why i blocked you...its boring watching people who contribute nothing except superior judgemental anger.....

I'm thinking it would be a Christmas miracle to actually get back to the interesting topic of new technology lithium batteries..I found Lovey's link particularly interesting as to what the future holds...

ppppppppppp

Just seen this thread again, Disorderly I had no intention to derail your thread, after I seen that report about the bloke being burnt I have been thinking about it for a few months now

Running a regular boat you'll likely have 1 battery but when u go electric motors u can be running an additional 3 more batteries so it had me thinking was this guy sitting in a acid bath until rescued I actually can't see just salt water burning a humans skin so there had to be a cause

I thought it was worth brining up in case my theory had some actual worth to it

And in that case would lifepo4 be much more friendlier over acid filled batteries, that was the path I was leading down

That gif or meme or whatever u call those picture post these days was just a share on fb from memory

Gee this thread took a turn ...... for the worst

Get back on track because it's an interesting thread -

I still remember all the negativity about the use of Lithium batteries in a marine environment ....... today it's commonplace .
    I just wish that the likes of Minn Kota got on the bus & supported the shift in battery technology - from my experience & directly from a dealer / installer / repairer of minn kota's there is no real reason not to warrant their products when used with LiFePO4 batteries .

The one thing I do have concerns about is that - people are building their own battery packs to save money .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Salt water alone when immersed in it for a long period of time can damage skin
    chaffing drying irritating the skin to point it flakes off and looks like a chemical burn

doubt it was the batteries acid unless the contents were poured on him
    just exposure to salt and the elements

you will die of exposure or drowning first

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Gee this thread took a turn ...... for the worst

Get back on track because it's an interesting thread -

I still remember all the negativity about the use of Lithium batteries in a marine environment ....... today it's commonplace .
    I just wish that the likes of Minn Kota got on the bus & supported the shift in battery technology - from my experience & directly from a dealer / installer / repairer of minn kota's there is no real reason not to warrant their products when used with LiFePO4 batteries .

The one thing I do have concerns about is that - people are building their own battery packs to save money .

Chris
    I reckon it just gives MK an out if a motor burns out..its just so easy its happened from the higher voltage of the LiFePO4 batteries..game over..

mate they know that as LiFePO4 batteries become more affordable that everyone will be changing to them...Mk will be left in the dust if they dont get their act together...

What are your concerns about people building batteries..?

I was always going to buy relatively cheap batteries so did a bit of research on what i was getting myself into..I wasnt going to pay 4-5K ..

What scared me a bit was what might lie inside the sealed case with a generic sticker on the side...

This link gives a bit of an idea of why those cheap batteries are indeed so cheap....but then how can you tell which ones might be decent...?

https://www.lithiumbatterypower.com/...ithium-battery

So my reasoning for building the battery( "building" really overstates the complexity of it I think) was that at least i control the quality of the components used

By components I mean the cells themselves, the connectors, housing and battery monitor.....that along with the balancing or equalizing the cells before "building" and taking some good advice form a proper technician rather then a salesman..i honestly cant see a drama..

But i guess time will tell if I made the right call..I'm prepared to live with it f I didnt and at least i have learn a bit on the way....

Any thoughts on potential issues..?

IMG_2010.jpg

and on a side note for ol mate Blacklab..cause I know you have a hard on for me...I'm sure you edited out most of your crazy talk in a bid to impress people ...I'll reserve the right If i want to block some braindead bogans or an obsessive homo stalker freak on here (just 1 )and Facebook (quite a few) then I will...What is it that some people have such a need to be "Liked" by their 500 FB friends that they have never met before anyway.?...I really don't get why you just cant let me go even though I've blocked you everywhere and don't give a toss about your opinion or you.....I got some messages that you are still prattling on about me on FB yesterday..get over me son and move on FFS, you freaky old goat..