Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    So half the cost but still eye watering!
    That would still buy a hell of a lot of fish from the local takeaway 🐟😜

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    So half the cost but still eye watering!
    Yeah but not half as eye watering as pulling up a plough anchor and 8m of chain by hand from 75m, particularly when you realize you missed your mark ..

I just do that once an overnight trip now ..I used to do it every drop..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    That would still buy a hell of a lot of fish from the local takeaway 
    Take that attitude, and you could never justify buying a boat, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    all depends on the length of the shaft required.... i dont think MG has a 87 inch shaft yet but i could be wrong.... I had to go MK myself due to needing the 87 " shaft.... I went a little light on my prices as well after looking at my receipts.... my decisions are based on reliability vs cost : assume the worst then pay for that option to minimise issues. Easier to work harder and spend more time trouble free on the water...
    I agree its a good option to look into that MK longer shaft model for offshore spotlocking purposes depending on where and how you intend mounting it on your bow...

In 15-20 knots of horrible FNQ chop, my 72 incher keeps popping out of the water which is very annoying and probably not so good for the motor either..although we try and pick the best of the weather we dont always get it right or the afternoon seabreeze gets nasty.....sometimes it gets to the point where we either pack up and go home or drop anchor or try and find some lee around the reef somewhere and hope the breeze drops off a bit...

As for your theory on spending more to minimize risks, I'm not so sure if that works with trolling motors...

I think part of it is that we are the guinea pigs to see how well these things last and issues get fixed on the run and as they come to light or maybe not even until the next model which may well have issues of its own....I guess it saves on factory R@D....i have heard plenty of bad stories by both major brands and have had to take mine back once to have the board replaced as the spotlock was constantly dropping out...I know some pro charter guys that have just given up on them altogether as they have had so many issues when running them on a daily basis....another thing is the availability of parts and turnaround times to get them fixed, particularly if you are in a country or remote area....

Compared with Bass fishing and other freshwater fishing styles in the USA, offshore spotlocking is relatively new and a much smaller market so far and its a different application and more corrosive environment..Hopefully now that Garmin and Lowrance have entered the trolling motor market a bit of friendly competition will lift the standards ..

As for battery prices vs quality the CALB 3.2v battery cells have been used commercially for years in aviation, electric car and other commericial applications..you just have to make sure they get balanced, add a decent BMS, hook them up and make a box for them yourself rather then paying double for a ready to go Enerdrive box with fancy stickers....for many though, the convenience of pre -made is easier though costlier..

One thing I am sure of though, is, just how much more enjoyable my time on the water has become and there really is no way of putting a price on that..
    For those offshore fisho's that dont have a trolling motor, try and get a day out with someone that does....you will wonder how you could have ever done with out one..

Also one piece of advice from my own experience is to carry a spare prop and remote...it will put a real dampener on your trip if either of those things go missing or are damaged..I also loctite my prop on now..

Ausfish Platinum Member

For those offshore fisho's that dont have a trolling motor, try and get a day out with someone that does....you will wonder how you could have ever done with out one..
    that's what they all say, so there really must be something to it. Bugger. More money and projects...

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Take that attitude, and you could never justify buying a boat, full stop.
    Not necessarily my attitude, just a tongue in cheek comment regarding the cost/benefit versus ongoing problems (reportedly) with the current electric motor technology in various offshore applications.😢

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Not necessarily my attitude, just a tongue in cheek comment regarding the cost/benefit versus ongoing problems (reportedly) with the current electric motor technology in various offshore applications.😢
    Hey Sea are u saying there are problems with battery power or elec motors cant keep up offshore or something along those lines?

I llan on running a transom mount 24v motor from haswing so i can set and forget and use my steering wheel to navigate if the main engine fails

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Sea are u saying there are problems with battery power or elec motors cant keep up offshore or something along those lines?

I llan on running a transom mount 24v motor from haswing so i can set and forget and use my steering wheel to navigate if the main engine fails
    Hi Gaz
    I am not sure about the reliability of the higher thrust electric units with auto deploy used in the saltwater environment (as Disorderly has explained in more detail). When I was at BLA earlier this year with my 55lb unit I was advised of a 3-4 week wait time for service as there were 22 MK units in the workshop ahead of mine. These were mainly the high power motors. Although some members here are very happy with their systems, I remain cautious about a future purchase until their reliability issues have been rectified. I am very happy with my 55lb MK on my poly by the way. Cheers SS

TheYanks seem to be into the Rhodan brand for large offshore boats. Wonder if they’ll hit Australia?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Attachment 122764
    Here's my set up for the CALB100 lithium batteries from EV Works. Not a real good photo. They are mounted under the bunk.
    My tip in mounting them is make sure you can access them easily as 4 of them make a nice 12v jump start pack, I have had to do this and mine are a bit tricky to get out.
    I'm not sure if the photo is showing, let me know if it's not and I'll see if I can fix it.

TMC

I cant see the attachment mate...maybe try adding the photo under the "advanced reply".

Thanks Disorderly,
    I will have to wait till the minister of every god damn thing gets back and see if she can sought it out.

TMC

Hope it works this time.
    PART_1607551377414.jpg

TMC

Looks good mate.....

One of the benefits of the individual cells is that you can configure them however you want to fit the space available to put them....

Mine fit nicely in the space beside the passenger seat under the walkway..

IMG_1987 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    TheYanks seem to be into the Rhodan brand for large offshore boats. Wonder if they’ll hit Australia?
    Mate of mine imported a Rhodan from the US last year for his 7.8m Riptide, fortunately before Covid. He reckons it was worthwhile, solidly built and hasn't missed a beat. He originally ordered it as none of the others had the length of shaft he needed at the time. They others have since brought out longer shafts but still seem to suffer other issues.