Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 138

Thread: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

  1. #46

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Mate of mine imported a Rhodan from the US last year for his 7.8m Riptide, fortunately before Covid. He reckons it was worthwhile, solidly built and hasn't missed a beat. He originally ordered it as none of the others had the length of shaft he needed at the time. They others have since brought out longer shafts but still seem to suffer other issues.
    Yup but what happens if you need a replacement part or a warranty claim? If there isnt a dealer in Aus kiss good bye to a timely and cost effective repair... I'm paying for the backing of BLA personally. If it's bought overseas then i'm pretty sure you dont have an AUS backed warranty even if a dealer does come to AUS.;

  2. #47

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Looks good mate.....

    One of the benefits of the individual cells is that you can configure them however you want to fit the space available to put them....

    Mine fit nicely in the space beside the passenger seat under the walkway..

    Attachment 122767
    for simple 12v applications on smaller boats. Would you say that 4x3.2v cells is enough or is 5 (16v) a better way to go?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  3. #48
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle
    Thread Starter

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    for simple 12v applications on smaller boats. Would you say that 4x3.2v cells is enough or is 5 (16v) a better way to go?
    The Max charge per cell is 3.65v which makes for 14.6v with 4 cells..

    With my 36v bank I charge up to about 42v (14v per 12v bank equivalent or 3.5v per cell) and when we get out there and first deploy the motor it seems to start about about 41.5 v..

    These are the first lithiums I have had so i was thankful for the advice of Tim at EV works and it seems by the graph on the spec sheet I am working within the parameters provided..I have not experienced any negative issues with the motor (aside form a gps replacement) over its 15 months of regular use so far, where it can often be run for 8-10 hrs per day, often over a 2 day fishing trip..

    voltage chart for calb 100.jpg

  4. #49

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Heres an interesting read on lithium technology advancements

    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-breakthrough/

  5. #50

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    The Max charge per cell is 3.65v which makes for 14.6v with 4 cells..

    With my 36v bank I charge up to about 42v (14v per 12v bank equivalent or 3.5v per cell) and when we get out there and first deploy the motor it seems to start about about 41.5 v..

    These are the first lithiums I have had so i was thankful for the advice of Tim at EV works and it seems by the graph on the spec sheet I am working within the parameters provided..I have not experienced any negative issues with the motor (aside form a gps replacement) over its 15 months of regular use so far, where it can often be run for 8-10 hrs per day, often over a 2 day fishing trip..

    voltage chart for calb 100.jpg
    thanks for that. Would you use a 100ah set up for a start battery? Say on smaller 60-100hp engines?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  6. #51

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    for simple 12v applications on smaller boats. Would you say that 4x3.2v cells is enough or is 5 (16v) a better way to go?
    Would be hard to get a charger to put out the voltage for a 16v bank and also be worried about the higher voltage on the electronics in the motor.

  7. #52

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    thanks for that. Would you use a 100ah set up for a start battery? Say on smaller 60-100hp engines?
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...tarter-battery

    I spoke to a couple of auto sparkies and they thought the technology was not there yet.

    TMC

  8. #53
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle
    Thread Starter

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    thanks for that. Would you use a 100ah set up for a start battery? Say on smaller 60-100hp engines?
    Yeah i looked into it and decided not to for the reason The Mad cat suggests..then I thought about using one for my auxiliary house battery but decided against that because my Honda's alternator charges at about 90 amps whereas i was recommended not to charge the CALBS above about 40..(the 240v charger i use at home is about 5 amps).

    I ended up going 2 dual purpose 100amp lead acid batteries though i would love the weight drop and extra capacity of lithiums (CALBS supposedly claim 2000 cycles to 100% DOD) .

    Hopefully it wont be long before the technology catches up ..for me it would mean a weight saving of almost 50kg including the extra stand alone 12v lithium I carry for appliances..

  9. #54

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Cheers

    i think Iíll look at an LTO battery.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  10. #55
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle
    Thread Starter

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Cheers

    i think Iíll look at an LTO battery.
    Like these ones..?

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solarkin...-/223916714903

    I particularly like this feature..


    "These batteries can be shot with a gun, drilled through or pierced and the battery will still function safely."

    just cause ya never know if someone will take ramp rage too far and start blasting at your boat with a shotgun..?...

  11. #56

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Oops. Double post
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  12. #57

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Like these ones..?

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solarkin...-/223916714903

    I particularly like this feature..


    "These batteries can be shot with a gun, drilled through or pierced and the battery will still function safely."

    just cause ya never know if someone will take ramp rage too far and start blasting at your boat with a shotgun..?...
    was thinking more like these.

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-of-1...-/223465807026
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  13. #58

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Titanate appears to be the next step, only 20 amps for this lot, add transport from Kansas and probably just short of a grand. There are Iron Phosphate ones for cranking but very few. I would Love to change my batteries over but with only 1 to 2 years before I down grade Allison and upgrade the tinnie (just one boat, not sure I'll like it but age takes its toll) I'm not sure it is worth the expense now.

  14. #59

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Hey guys while you're considering lead acid filled vs lifepo4 etc.. i recall reading about a guy that was out boating solo and his boat capsized he was found clinging to the hull with reported burning to his skin from the salt water

    Heres a bit of food for thought.. if your running 3x lead acid filled batteries and u capsize the leaching acid may be a concern with your skin..

  15. #60

    Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

    Sharks, drowning, exposure, hypothermia the list is long and frightening if you let it be but it probably isn't a reason to select one battery over another.

    Matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us