Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Re: Minn Kota and Lithium Ion batteries

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Thread resurrection time--doing some looking around on the subject of spot lockers. With a 6.4 m boat that weighs around 2 tonne in the water fuelled up, 2 POB, I'll be needing a 105lb, 72" job. Which will be 36V . I really can't fit 90kg of lead acid anywhere, which is what 3 x 105a/h lead acid will weigh. The boat is really well balanced. So that brings me back to some sort of Lithium chemistry--Minn Kota specifically recommends against fitting of Lithium batteries.
    15 months or so on from your last post, are your LiFEPo4 still going OK with your Minn Kota, NAGG?
    Going good - my only regret is that I didn't go 125 amp - that extra 25 amps would pretty well ensure I get a reasonably full days spot locking in 10 kt winds . I certainly wont go back to AGMs & even fitted one for my dual battery in the Norweld canopy.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I play with lithium ion cells im about to solder a pack together tonight for my drone, my 3 cell fully charged reads 12.6volt a regular boat battery fully charged reads 12.6volt i cant see a problem with the battery holding its maximum charge rate the trolling motor would be rated with a % safety margin over 12.6volt i cant see them being rated for a 12.6volt maximum capacity, all electricity has a safety margin

Ausfish Platinum Member

Are you using the batteries from EV Works ? https://www.evworks.com.au/winston-b...-cell-12v-90ah

Ranmar i bought these ones from EVworks...Tim Brunner there couldnt do enough to help me out..it was the best service of any aspect of my boatbuild and fitout...it needed to be too as I knew nothing about it all..I was very grateful for his help...

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

when i got them 15 months ago they were $160..if you look at the specs you will see they claim to have 2000 cycles at 100ah discharge

Another ausfisher sent me this earlier in the week...These are similar to the Calb batteries and its the cheapest i have seen them and was a Black friday special last weekend at Big wei battery...

Big wei.jpg...

I bought this battery monitor which makes it very easy to figure out whats going on with the phone app...you can watch real time data of exactly how much power you are using at any time...

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart

Also remember Chris has a 24v system whereas my 36v system for the 105lb MG has basically an extra 50% battery capacity in comparison...

Ausfish Platinum Member

So you are running 11 in series, I take it. Quite an economical way to do it, at that price.

.... deleted post

So you are running 11 in series, I take it. Quite an economical way to do it, at that price.

Thread resurrection time--doing some looking around on the subject of spot lockers. With a 6.4 m boat that weighs around 2 tonne in the water fuelled up, 2 POB, I'll be needing a 105lb, 72" job. Which will be 36V . I really can't fit 90kg of lead acid anywhere, which is what 3 x 105a/h lead acid will weigh. The boat is really well balanced. So that brings me back to some sort of Lithium chemistry--Minn Kota specifically recommends against fitting of Lithium batteries.
    15 months or so on from your last post, are your LiFEPo4 still going OK with your Minn Kota, NAGG?
    Are you brave enough to guess at the final cost all up? Every time I do a rough add up in my head for that sort of system for a big boat I break out in a cold sweat! I'd love it but....

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Are you brave enough to guess at the final cost all up? Every time I do a rough add up in my head for that sort of system for a big boat I break out in a cold sweat! I'd love it but....
    MK 36v 112lb thrust - 5900, 36v lithium battery 4000 (enerdrive), 36v charger for port use - 400, sterling 1236 charger for on boat 400, MK plug 300.

thats 11k....

12 cells is 43.2v on a 36v motor now whats the point at running 12 cells in series if your going to run the same voltage as 3x 12v lifepo4 batteries which will give u the same voltage and be half the cost?

Doesnt make sense

You ideally run the seprate 3.2v cells to tailor make a battery to an acceptible voltage out put ie 10 cells for 36volts for a 36v motor

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    MK 36v 112lb thrust - 5900, 36v lithium battery 4000 (enerdrive), 36v charger for port use - 400, sterling 1236 charger for on boat 400, MK plug 300.

thats 11k....
    I went the cheaper route a year back....

MG 105 36v delivered $2750

12 cells plus delivery and joiner thingies (@ $160 each) $2100

36v LiFePO4 charger $180

Plug, circuit breaker and a few metres of cable. $200

Victron BMV 712 battery monitor..$250

Around about $5500 ready to go..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    12 cells is 43.2v on a 36v motor now whats the point at running 12 cells in series if your going to run the same voltage as 3x 12v lifepo4 batteries which will give u the same voltage and be half the cost?

Doesnt make sense

You ideally run the seprate 3.2v cells to tailor make a battery to an acceptible voltage out put ie 10 cells for 36volts for a 36v motor

12x 3.2v = 38.4 volts.....

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post

thats 11k....

Thanks mate. That's the level of pain I expected!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I went the cheaper route a year back....

MG 105 36v delivered $2750

12 cells plus delivery and joiner thingies (@ $160 each) $2100

36v LiFePO4 charger $180

Plug, circuit breaker and a few metres of cable. $200

Victron BMV 712 battery monitor..$250

Around about $5500 ready to go..

So half the cost but still eye watering!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    So half the cost but still eye watering!
    all depends on the length of the shaft required.... i dont think MG has a 87 inch shaft yet but i could be wrong.... I had to go MK myself due to needing the 87 " shaft.... I went a little light on my prices as well after looking at my receipts.... my decisions are based on reliability vs cost : assume the worst then pay for that option to minimise issues. Easier to work harder and spend more time trouble free on the water...