Thread: AGM Batteries

AGM Batteries

Hello All,
    What is the correct procedure when charging an AGM.Should they be left on a maintenance charge or do they need to discharge ? I use a Minn Kota charger.Excuse my ignorance as I have come from using flooded deep cycles.
    Thanks

Re: AGM Batteries

No mate just charged on the AGM setting. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Is it the portable or on board minn kota charger ? …… I might be wrong but I didn't think that the portable charger had a maintenance mode . I know the onboard chargers did / do - which means you can leave them on & they will maintain a float charge .

Personally - I'm not a big fan of leaving any charger on ( float / maintenance) particularly after having a C teck crap out & fry a battery that was on float charge . I think you are better off charging (topping up) every month or so if the battery is used irregularly.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just charge mine up and then disconnect it. If it has been a long while since I used it then I just give it a top up before use. AGM's have a very low self discharge rate unlike Lead acid batteries.

I had a AGM battery in a motor bike it sat for i think 9 months and believe it still had power to start the bike

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Is it the portable or on board minn kota charger ? …… I might be wrong but I didn't think that the portable charger had a maintenance mode . I know the onboard chargers did / do - which means you can leave them on & they will maintain a float charge .

Personally - I'm not a big fan of leaving any charger on ( float / maintenance) particularly after having a C teck crap out & fry a battery that was on float charge . I think you are better off charging (topping up) every month or so if the battery is used irregularly.

Chris
    Hi Chris, The Minn Kota portable charger is a fully automatic 3 stage charger with bulk, absorption and maintenance stages.

Thanks all for your replies.I think i will charge to full then disconnect,topping up if not used for longer periods.

Crack

Crack i just leave my batteries in the boat and only charge once every 3 months or when needed in the warmer months probably not the best maintenance but it works for me i am kind of lazy

if your running a modern decent hp 4 stroke u might not even need to be charging as they output a lot of amps even at trolling speeds, my merc supposedly puts out 20amps at just over idle so long as she starts at the ramp, a days fishing should charge the batteries

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Crack i just leave my batteries in the boat and only charge once every 3 months or when needed in the warmer months probably not the best maintenance but it works for me i am kind of lazy

if your running a modern decent hp 4 stroke u might not even need to be charging as they output a lot of amps even at trolling speeds, my merc supposedly puts out 20amps at just over idle so long as she starts at the ramp, a days fishing should charge the batteries
    Thanks Gazza. It is just the battery for the Minn Kota. Seperate from everything else and not wired to the donk.

Quote Originally Posted by Giveitacrack View Post
    Hi Chris, The Minn Kota portable charger is a fully automatic 3 stage charger with bulk, absorption and maintenance stages.

Thanks all for your replies.I think i will charge to full then disconnect,topping up if not used for longer periods.

Crack
    AGM store well ( 3 months will be ok) - just flick off the circuit breaker when not in use or disconnect the minn kota

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

i have a pair of full river agm batteries that are left on float. no issues yet ( 3 years so far)

http://www.batteryminders.com

this is the charger i'm using - had to buy it from the states.