Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which hulls dont Bang?

Which hulls dont Bang?

Its time to look at getting a new boat after 4 years or so of not having one but I post something that all new boat purchases should be factored- and most imporantly along with ride quality is if they "bang" or not. We all know that feeling when you go well past the bar and past the smooth water and you hit that swell (whether you are going out or coming in) and then you land and that unsightly sound. I would like to put it out there.... Which boat hulls dont bang?- either glass (my preference) or alloy plate under 6.5m please. I just dont want to visit the chiropractor after a days fishing.
    Is there any brands or models in particular that their hulls wont bang?

Re: Which hulls dont Bang?

I don't know about the type of hull or bang.
    But
    As for the chiropractor bit, if your going there for all the right reasons, ~fighting a monster fish~
    Then I don't see the problem 🤣

Smile, it confuses people
    Smile, It confuses people

Fighting a monster fish? I use electrics especially in deep water. Only problem is getting them in the boat. Then after I get the monster in the boat I want to be assured of a smooth ride back home

I suspect that you just need to travel less fast; easier said than done but..

In a Vagabond that is a heavy boat the addition of trim tabs and foils helped greatly by ensuring the bow could work as it was designed. By avoiding hitting the shoulders most big bangs can be avoided especially if speed matches the conditions. Foils lifted the stern so the bow presents better too.

You have lots the chose from in frp and the Victory and Vagabond are just two of them imho.
    What could go wrong.......................

They all bang if pushed hard enough.

Surely there has got to be a boat in this day and age with solid reverse chine design and a fine entry and that doesnt bang. Or maybe there is not? If there is not maybe mention some brands/ models that are least likely to bang

Any boat will bang driven badly, or even driven well, sometimes conditions conspire to create a bang.

Its just that some are more forgiving than others.

You would be better off narrowing down the list you are already considering and ask for people’s experiences.

But even then, there will be some people that say Brand X bangs like a dunny door, and others that will say that the same brand are just fine. This sort of disparity just shows that one person is driving the boat like an idiot, and the other is taking it sensibly.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

So my last boat was a bc, the prior 530c model. As far as a boat is rated it was fine. The occasional bang but enough to considerably slow down when heading out when others were really going for it. I suppose I just want to know which boats out there dont bang as much than others. Is it more common in plate boats (I have only ever had alloy) and less common in fibreglass or is it pretty common across the whole boat sector? Will a boat with higher deadrise, and more sharp an entry with reverse chines bang less or do they all bang the same? I posted it as I couldnt find too much on the subject

Ausfish Platinum Member

EVERYTHING WILL BANG. At some time or another. Every hull is a compromise. Make a really deep vee with a fine entry and it might be a head on hero, but will dive into a following sea like a bloody submarine. Or roll like a bastard at rest. Or both. If it was that easy to do, it would have been done. You want a really good ride in all conditions? Buy a really big boat😉 The hull on my 6.4 m Reefrunner can be made to bang a little in a really short, nasty, uneven sea, but is a dream in big seas. Ultra safe and a beautiful ride , running any direction. Just put the pilot on, one hand on the throttle, adjust as required.

As a very broad generalization, glass is typically better than alloy and the greater the dead rise the better the ride. Catamarans are a different level again but are not without their own idiosyncracies. At the end of the day though, every boat driven hard enough will give a rough ride - the primary difference being at what point sea state and speed wise. Then there is the other traits that can be induced into a boat by using a design that gives a better ride - a reduction in stability at rest probably being the most common. Whether you can live with that or whether you need to find a comfortable balance between the two is something only you can decide.

I just thought I had the only boat in the world that banged. Thanks ranmar; well said

l drive at a cruise speed of around 4200 rpm and find this is a good mix of speed and comfortable ride, every now and then there is a bit of a hole and bang, but thats all part of the journey. clever hull design and shapes have improved ride somewhat , but it still a skipper should read the water to ensure a comfy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by wetryin View Post
    So my last boat was a bc, the prior 530c model. As far as a boat is rated it was fine. The occasional bang but enough to considerably slow down when heading out when others were really going for it. I suppose I just want to know which boats out there dont bang as much than others. Is it more common in plate boats (I have only ever had alloy) and less common in fibreglass or is it pretty common across the whole boat sector? Will a boat with higher deadrise, and more sharp an entry with reverse chines bang less or do they all bang the same? I posted it as I couldnt find too much on the subject
    What you dont know was whether those other boats were banging like crazy and their crews either didnt care or were prepared to put up with it.

A heavy, relatively narrow beam and deep V boat will have the best ride. May be tippy at rest though.

Things like the old 680 Haines with their Ray Hunt design style hulls.

A mate of mine had a Yankee boat, Striper 2301 with a very similar hull to the 680, and it took a sea better than any other trailer boat I have been in. But it could still bang running into a head sea. In a following sea it was almost impossible to make it bang even at silly speeds.

And your BC 530C is very similar to my Surtees 550 (actually its a direct copy) and as a rule they do ride well, being narrower than most similar length plate boats and running a decent amount of V (18 deg). Driven sensibly they ride very well. Mine runs better directly into a head sea than into a sea thats about 5-10 deg off centre.

Mine also has as standard the ballast close off flap so in rough seas I can keep the extra 120kgs of water in the keel and this does make a real difference to the ride.

But it has to be driven to the conditions.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Yes cats are different but its that thud thud up front that I dont like. Thanks for your help

Moonlighter
    Yes take your point. I remember too that the bc would ride better front on too rather than just off centre. I too had the ballast but no flap in that earlier model so I couldnt trap the water ballast in so Im sure this would have made a massive difference to add weight to the keel. Of course too I wouldnt go out in anything over 1m swell and I am not one to push the throttle.