Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bit of advice

Re: Bit of advice

Looks good Col ,

Re the radios I don’t think they will interfere as long as the antennas are on opposite sides of the - whatever you mount them on, but others might have more experience with that ?
    Re placement of radios on the dash - the way I set mine up was bearing in mind where the mike cords will sit, so they don’t interfere with screens and switches.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perhaps the vhf and 27 meg flush mounted on the passenger side . or just inside if you want to hide the coil cords. switches on your side for sure and its gonna be neat the way your going with the all in one sounder dedicated info roll back.
    perhaps some other items could be 12 v socket/ usb charger, also a flush style helm light. job has come up real smicko looks great.

Thanks Jamie/catshark, It has really made me think now, having a blank canvas. I shall cut out some paper to the size of everything and play with positioning. I wasn't sure about interference, but I will have aerials on either side. I don't mind the mic cords on the front of the bulk head, and I like the idea of the passenger side, less clutter on drivers side.
    Catshark, There you go, I hadn't even thought of 12v socket and USB charger, had a 12V socket in the old dash mess, so yes, now added to the list thanks.
    It should be a lot neater, by the time I finish, that was the reason for doing what I've done and the sounder to engine devices now, which are well above my head at the minute, I believe are way better that inaccurate old gauges which was what I had.
    I'm sort of leaning towards seeing what it looks like with my paper shapes of everything, to keep all the switches below the dash on the bulk head, if they are easy to reach and use, and keep the dash area above for the likes of the 12v socket/usb etc.
    As mentioned before, the only place I could fit the anchor switch was to the right of the steering wheel before, what a disaster to operate it comfortably, with the other hand on the throttle, needed to be a contortionist to lift anchor. Just need to make sure I've got everything I need before starting.
    Cheers
    Col

Yes the accessories outlet/USB is a great idea. And the cardboard cutouts to give you a scale idea of how everything fits and looks is another great idea.
    Even when you do have (cardboard version) everything in place it’s still a hard decision to come to terms with.
    Best idea is to set everything up until you’re happy - then leave it ideally for a couple of days and mull it over a few brews while browsing the WWW for inspiration to settle or tweak.

LOL, Yep, it will probably be a few weeks of mulling over everything !.
    I must admit, it's good to get over the hump of all the structural type work, it was becoming depressing, 1 step forward, 2 back until I got it right and more to the point fixed up bad workmanship, but it's been a learning curve.
    Still heaps to do, including a full rewire, but I've been collecting switch panels, accessories etc along the way, so apart from a few items, I have 75 % of things, And a quick trip to ch smiths should finish the shopping off. It sure does add up but, still have the second seat to get with slider set up, my old 27 meg I've decided just wont cut it, plus the new aerials and brackets etc, Geez, I'm surprising myself now with what I still need.....
    All good fun tho......

Col

Col do you use the 27Mhz ?
    I only have the VHF on my current boat and use it every time I’m out - listening to coast guard weather warnings and in case there’s any distress I can be of assistance - never had to yet though.
    On my last boat there was only a 27Mhz and I rarely heard anyone on ?
    It was a crappy boat and a crappy radio so I never paid much attention to either ha ha. Moved them both on pretty quick.

Jamie

Jamie, I haven't fished for a couple of years now, but I regularly went out mid week for a morning and worked Saturdays, mainly solo, weekends with the congested ramps weren't my cup of tea, But I regularly went out from St Kilda, and they still monitored 27 meg, so I would always log in with them as I headed off and motored out past them and checked in when I returned. Whenever I went up to Eden or Portland, it was generally with 2 or more boats and they all seemed to have 27 meg as well. I do have to do the license thing for the Vhf, which I will do soon, I see Moose recently ran a course, but I got lazy and never signed up for it. I know they are phasing out 27 meg, I guess I've always had one over the journey and guys that I still know do as well. I don't think alot of people realise they still monitor 27 meg out of st kilda, which would mean if you fished that general area, even through to altona, they can still monitor you.....Knowing my luck Jamie, when the boat finally gets launched, 27 meg will probably be extinct LOL

Col

Well I’ve learned something today. That’s good to know - re 27Mhz still being monitored.

I hope you get back out fishing soon and the boat is ready for the warmer weather.

deleted personal photo's and content

Do you mean like this style Plano box ?

https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/1...kaAhNdEALw_wcB

They look like a great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jamie, Yeah, them's the ones.
    There a tad cheaper else where, but sure loved the idea, But I don't have the width at the back, so the only option is in the side between the two seats.
    I think it would be a disaster waiting to happen, if I don't trip on an un closed one, for sure one of my deckies would LOL.
    I was set on the idea before I got the dimensions.
    I'm over the moon with having dry storage on the passenger one, guess the same on drivers side isn't a bad option, I can at least put foam or something on the floor and stack my tackle trays in.
    I've been reasonably busy fitting things up. Got my side re carpeted covers back on, passenger seat fitted to pod, adjustable foot rest fitted, it works so I'll go ahead and order everything for the drivers side. The new seats are great with the extended seat part folding up and have something comfortable to stand and lean against when traveling thru crap conditions, I've set it up that driver and passenger can stand, the drivers seat box is about 100mm further back to allow for steering wheel. So re fitting screen tomorrow, then hopefully I will be doing the cardboard cut out trick with all the fittings for the dash,,,, I sure don't want to make a mistake on positioning things once I've cut out holes.
    This seems to be the enjoyable part of re building, seeing progress as everything gets the final fit up !!!.

Col

What about cutting door in drivers side and make your own drawer system to suit

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

deleted personal photo's and content

Just getting another order ready for electrical gear, I'm using blueSea gear which seems to be a good quality product.
    I may have asked this before, couldn't find it.
    Question, I have 1, 6 gang switch block that I intend to run all my lighting thru, ie, nav lights, anchor light, spotty, deck lights, cabin lights, led's.
    I have stand alone switch blocks for my anchor winch and bilge pump,
    I'll have the live bait tank, deck wash on another 6 gang switch block. Would it be good practice, to also run the Vhf, radio, fish finders, through the 6 gang switch block I have, which are individually fused, to be able switch these items completely off from the switch block, or are they normally run separately with reliance on there off button alone ????.
    Sorry if that's a newbie basic question, I've been advised to do it both ways by different people, so I'm confused.
    I don't mind the idea of having them wired thru the switch panel, even if you would still have to switch the units on, each of these switches, as mentioned can be fused individually. Is there a benefit in wiring it this way ? or what would be best practice......

Col

Bit of advice

When I did my rewire I didn’t bother giving the vhf or fishfinder mfd an extra switch on the panel, my way of thinking was that they have their own standby on/off switch so seemed pointless, I do however run everything through a couple of blue seas fuseblocks, one fuseblock i keep separate for non essential accessories and the other fuseblock for essentials like nav lights,radios etc!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁