Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bit of advice

Re: Bit of advice

Col if it moves it will crack. Previous owner has propped this up for a reason.

Giddy is spot on with his advice.

Had a fiberglass cabin doing this once and was due to nil bracing in the right places so glassed in gussets etc and fixed the problem. Had aluminum cabins do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Col if it moves it will crack. Previous owner has propped this up for a reason.

Giddy is spot on with his advice.

Had a fiberglass cabin doing this once and was due to nil bracing in the right places so glassed in gussets etc and fixed the problem. Had aluminum cabins do the same.
    Hmm, Ok, didn't doubt so much what Giddy was saying, as I can see if it flexed to much, issues would happen. Mate has the same boat, same era, his has been totally unsupported since new, no cracks, which was why I assumed that the post the P/O installed, contributed... hmmm
    I'll Re look at this now, It will be quite easy with the method I'm using to have it so both pieces creating the bulk heads, on either side are attached to the underside of the dash/arch and that will give more even support over that whole length, much more than a single post did before......
    Thanks guys, appreciated......

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hmm, Ok, didn't doubt so much what Giddy was saying, as I can see if it flexed to much, issues would happen. Mate has the same boat, same era, his has been totally unsupported since new, no cracks, which was why I assumed that the post the P/O installed, contributed... hmmm
    I'll Re look at this now, It will be quite easy with the method I'm using to have it so both pieces creating the bulk heads, on either side are attached to the underside of the dash/arch and that will give more even support over that whole length, much more than a single post did before......
    Thanks guys, appreciated......

Col

Col the glass boat I had too repair was a Savage Atlantic 18ft. Was many around and the other ones I looked at didn't have supports and no cracks like mine either. It was a second hand purchase and could have had a flogging in previous life that stressed it.

Like you say, if your not happy you can glass in if required.

Thanks Brett, Point taken.
    If I cant get this fitted as per this discussion, I'll change my method..
    Cheers, appreciated.

Col

Had a chance to have a few minutes with the boat this morning,,,,,,,, Removed my mocked up bulk head, and got a good look at the flex.
    It was surprising just how much flex there was over the whole area. Something now to take into serious consideration. These boats bang a bit up front, with it being a small Cuddy, I can now imagine how much flex would have happened without the P/O 's fixed post as such, fitted for his helm shelf set up.
    A lot of work still left to do in the area, So I shall re access my approach....

Col

Decided, or rather forced to take another tact with my bulk heads, fibre glassing them in makes sense and will stiffen up the arch/dash properly, As i was correctly advised here.
    I'm not having much joy with this rebuild, one step forward two back, probably par for the course.
    My next question, is or would a 12mm ply floor, sealed properly underneath be suffice, or is standard practice or being prudent be a 15mm floor ???

I will explain why I posed this question if I can get some first hand experience replies......

Cheers in advance
    Col

deleted personal photo's and content
    Last edited by blacklab; 10-07-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add photo's

Sorry for the double up with photo's, can't figure what I did there LOL

Col

Looks great

Smile, it confuses people
    Smile, It confuses people

Hel Col awesome job how did u do the fleking?

Hi Gazza, That's not my handy work, wish it was. I took it to a mate of mine and got him to do it.
    It was a bit of a bugga to strip everything off in prep again, but as mentioned, I know my limitations and I wanted it done properly.
    Really happy with the end result.
    But, dejavu now, re fitting everything I'd previously done pryor.......
    These boats just keep on giving.......

Col

looks great....the other thing I had done was a small bulkhead glassed in the cabin just aft of the front hatch which stiffened the foredeck.It was a great improvement as well..That was a quick easy cheap win.

Hi inveratta, I'm picking that there will be a few wee extra jobs to do along the way.
    I have a hole still cut out up front, where I had to cut into, to get to the eye bolt, which is where my issues first began, pryor to my owning it.
    So, the plan is to finish her off, launch her and I can easily see if the issue is still there. The last Fibre glasser was suppose to re fibre glass that area, but in all honesty, I have no faith, so it will remain open until I get it back in the water. Another thing I forgot, was to strengthen the bulk head up front, where the anchor winch is bolted too, this was only a precautionary thing, I did notice a wee bit of flex when it was on the water. I have a block fibre Glassed forward and a sheet of stainless cabin side, but I would have preferred a full width panel fibre glassed, effectively making it double thickness.
    So, as usual with Boats, even when I finish her, there will still be more tinkering to be done....

Col

deleted personal photo's and content

Might be a silly question, but things take longer to sink in for me.
    I'm left with a blank canvas on the dash and the two new bulk heads that were fitted.
    I have collapsible foot rests which I will fit to the bulk heads,, but, now need to sort out where I am going to fit everything.
    I wont be having any gauges put back into the dash, I will run a 7'' sounder dedicated to nav and motor info, which I have seen in another boat.
    I have a 6 or 8 switch blue seas switch panel, a vhf and a 27 meg and a radio to install. My anchor switch was previously on the right hand side of the wheel, which was an absolute pain in the arse to use, that definitely needs to be on the left. Another single stand alone switch for the bilge.
    I was going to cut card board the size of everything I needed to fit and play around with it. Is it ok to mount vhf and 27 meg close together etc.
    What preferences of positioning have you used to make things easier or more user friendly ???, radios on passenger bulk head ? etc etc.
    Everything below on the bulk heads ?
    Just want opinions that I may not think of before I start cutting holes........

Cheers
    Col