Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running Optima blue tops?

Anyone running Optima blue tops?

Hi folks,
    I'm finding it hard to get batteries much above 780 CCA. I like the look of the Optima blue tops, but at about $150 dearer than a 780CCA to get 900CCA I'm keen to know if they're going to last. Anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks
    Craig

Re: Anyone running Optima blue tops?

I have 4 in one boat about 3 years old, 1 in a Landcruiser 4 years old and sold a boat last year with one almost 9 years old, that boat only had one battery and was fitted with an electric anchor winch. There is a story going around about they are not as good now as they were as they are now made in Mexico???

TMC

Approaching two years running the OPTD31M as a start battery for 225HP Honda and its doing its job perfectly well......can feel the extra ooomph over the old Century...

Thanks lads. The D31M is exactly the ones I'm looking at also for a 225. Best price so far is $375.

I certainly think they are worth the extra coin - I've certainly not had any cranking battery come close (5 years in the Seajay) for performance (oomph) & I'll be fitting them eventually to my Barcrusher. - the bonus is that they also have decent deep cycling capacity (75amp)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Thanks lads. The D31M is exactly the ones I'm looking at also for a 225. Best price so far is $375.
    I paid $385 two years ago from Battery Central so looks like a good / fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    oomph Chris
    I get about 500 oomph's on a fresh charge

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    the bonus is that they also have decent deep cycling capacity (75amp)
    Hopefully that means that load like lights, sounders and deckwash pumps shouldn't shorten their lifespan during longer trips.

Struggling to part with that much coin though!

Have a look at these guys

http://www.batteryvalue.com.au/
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Go the exide orbital agm batteries I’ve experienced countless issues with the optimas not charging and dropping cells

I’m about to replace batteries in my boat. I was recommended these and having looked into them I’m going to give them a go.

My mate and his son use them in the 4x4’s and swear by them.

https://superstart.com.au/products/marin.html

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Go the exide orbital agm batteries I’ve experienced countless issues with the optimas not charging and dropping cells
    Can you expand on this statement, are you in the battery supply industry or a high volume user?
    I'm close to needing 2 more batteries for another boat (fitted with Seamaster batteries by previous owner) and always happy to look at other recommendations other than Optimas.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Hopefully that means that load like lights, sounders and deckwash pumps shouldn't shorten their lifespan during longer trips.

Struggling to part with that much coin though!
    The optimas always end up being cheap in the long run in my experience. 7-10 years is normal and deep discharge is what they do so well.

I worked for a boat dealership as marine tech. For some reason the service manager always stocked the optima even after many issues. Must have been receiving a kick back. The exide orbital use same battery tech but must have better quality control. I was selling marine batteries for a while in my own business and never had an orbital fail. They are pricey though. Look them up

I think I've decided on Century Marine Pro 780's at $249 each.

Craig I had a bad run on the 780s just recently... I bought 3 at once from battery world in rocky and had 2 replaced under warranty in 6 months. I ditched them and went seamaster gold and they were brilliant. Maybe I was just unlucky but it has put me off century.

Brand new boat just keep spending and go the optimas

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app