Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VHF required to have built in GPS?

Re: VHF required to have built in GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    So just for my understanding, I have a DSC capable VHF but its not connected to the GPS (Not an internal model VHS but has connection wires to GPS), am I therefore wasting my time connecting it? (It was connected but when I re-wired I didn't get around to it yet).
    As per Moonlighter's reply. If you spend any time outside normal vhf voice range of coast stations it is potentially worth doing IMO as any commercial vessel that is GMDSS equipped is monitoring and could be within range. If you aren't venturing into non coverage areas though, personally I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    [SIZE=2]Alright, I can now confirm that the official response is that this is BS
    Thanks grant. It didn’t pass the sniff test to me, good to have it confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving this discussion. It caught my eye icom have just released a new version m506ge. Main difference being, built in gps.

The au icom website saying:
    “ GPS and external GPS antenna so that it meets the latest ITU-R M493-14 regulations.”

Is the claim of new regulations actually right? Or maybe a new standard to be phased in over tim. Seems to contradict all the earlier comments??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked it up.

As I read it, these are SYSTEM recommendations and are not requirements for what you need to have on your boat.

The national authority in Australia (ACMA) would need to adopt the recommendations and they havent, or we would have heard about it. Check their website and its silent.

All it means is that radio manufacturers will build more radios that meet that standard so they can be used where countries adopt the DSC system recommendations. Should that even be remotely contemplated here it would represent a major undertaking and major funding investment by Government nationally, and that ain’t happening.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

It is for DSC units only, first you must have a MMSI and in Australia only Ship to ship is available for DSC. So if you are fishing remote waters where your VHF or MF radio wont reach shore it would be worthwhile as commercial shipping will pick up your DSC signal.