Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yep been feeling a bit high strung about it all....main dramas are with the sales staff and their lack of understanding of boats and fishing as well as cultural differences and an inability to communicate my needs from the front office to the non English speaking builders on the workshop floor....if you need to feel like you have a high degree of control over your build then this probably isn't for you but on the other hand I only put 8K down and that was all I was risking till the boat is shipped and I need to pay the remittance...

Plenty of hours of editing and zooming.....cant really fault the workmanship...welds are very tidy and overall build seems to be very good as far as what can be seen through video and photo's.....plenty more photo's will come after fitout before final payment...and yep it was amazing ..they dicked me around for 2 months then magically within a week of starting the public blog my boat was started and now almost finished in 6 weeks..I'm convinced they made extra efforts, quickly fixed any issues and sent many more photo's than what others have received because of the scrutiny.....they would be mad not too...

Expected saving ...apples for apples.....all the pumps and fitout gear are either American made or decent quality ………..price for hull to same level of completion and fitout roughly half or a little more of getting built here ...any 6.5m LOA fixed hardtop built here you wouldn't expect change from 100K after fitout…..my trailer is not fancy and basic fitout but roughly 60K up and running without counting trolling motor and using Furuno and garmin electronics from my old boat...and of course like any boat I will continue throwing money at it forever....that's half the joy of having a new boat..

Here is a zoom of an advertisement posted yesterday on another site of a good old aussie Stacer ocean ranger plate alloy boat (or Yellowfin)...the old Quintrex factory continues to plumb new lows....This was their dealerships feature "Boat of the Week"...…..

Made in Australia sure doesn't mean what it did in the past.....

Attachment 119761
    Hi Disorderly

Just thought I would add my recent boat purchasing experience to this interesting thread. Thanks Disorderly for providing an open and honest discussion on this somewhat controversial subject. I am sure you will get a well built boat given your attention to detail in the build.

After 2 years of website research, reading various reports, visiting Telwater / Barcrusher / AMM workshops and discussions with various dealers in SE Queensland, I elected to go with Performance Plate (Sam Preston) at Brendale. My initial order was for an alloy 5.5M CC with 5mm bottom, 4mm sides on a electric braked alloy trailer with a 150HP Suzuki fly by wire O/B without electronics for delivery in late 2015 for $52K. After 18 months I ended up with a fully customised 6.2M LOA CC hardtop (Sam fitted the flooring, lighting, trimtabs, anchor / drum winch, downrigger supports, long range fuel tank, clears, burley bucket, stone guards on trailer etc.) for an additional $4k because he wanted to publicise a customised designed CC option on his website. Check it out if you wish. He was an absolute gentleman to deal with and provided periodic photographs of the build at critical stages. I had no stressful moments during the build even though I work In Melbourne and was not able to personally view progress every week. I could not fault the workmanship and service from this Aussie builder, although I am no weld expert, and I have no financial interest in this business. He even delivered the boat with a full (250L) tank of fuel after a local test run, and also showed me how to operate the boat catch and the trimtabs.

I was required to place $10K deposit on order and $15K payments at various stages. The boat was finished on time, on budget. Electronics were done by Trymax and Sam took the boat over to the electronics team twice to ensure the cabling and instruments were fitted at the appropriate build stages to ensure coordination with the overall finish. He also organised 2 pack paintwork and vinyl decals at no additional cost to me. I have all receipts from various subcontractors and their personal workmanship guarantee for 5 years, Sam has provided a hull and trailer with a 10 year structural warranty. I am sure there are plenty of other local builders that can provide a similar service. I just can't understand how you get a figure of $100K+ for a similar sized alloy boat in your previous thread. Are you talking BC or AMM only? Maybe there is more cost to fit a hardtop / bunks to a 6M hull than I realise. Shoot me down if you wish, but I feel I have the full support of this local boat builder should I experience any structural issues for the next 6 years, a comfort to me which is not quantifiable. Cheers SS

SS ...apples and oranges mate....

No real comparison between a 5.8m centre console with a 150 and 6.25m cabin boat with a 200 when it comes to costing I'm afraid….

And you also state "
    (Sam fitted the flooring, lighting, trimtabs, anchor / drum winch, downrigger supports, long range fuel tank, clears, burley bucket, stone guards on trailer etc.) for an additional $4k because he wanted to publicise a customised designed CC option on his website."

Unfortunately most of us aren't fortunate enough to have all the extras fitted at cost or less because the boat will be used as a publicity vehicle....

Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time and you got yourself quite the bargain.....I would love to see the quote for your boat to a average punter in todays dollars...

That said, your boat looks beautiful and I would have a Performance plate in a heartbeat if it were the size and configuration that I am after at the budget I was able to afford.....

Sadly thats not the case...

The 100K price tag for a 6.5 with 200hp is pretty much on the money for a decently kitted out QLD built custom Cabin boat with fixed hardtop I think you will find when you add it all up...

Before I chose the Noble copy I also priced a a 5.8 centre cab with 150hp from a relatively new Nth Qld builder.....around 85K was the driveaway price with nothing too fancy on a 2000kg trailer without breakaway.......

I hope this long standing QLD boatbuilder doesn't mind me sharing a quote sheet ..

Going off the quote sheet for the same fitout as my Gospel boat I was already at 90K for boat and trailer without Trim Tabs and Electronics and no paint, just a clearcoat on hull and cabin....I was looking back at a 2008 Riptide build from the Red Emperor King Greg lamprecht and he suggested a good paintjob for a 6-7 metre platey was 8-10K back then...….not at all hard to hit 100K for a finished boat ready to fish..

Prices I got off a couple of other builders were in the same ballpark....kinda blew my mind when I first started realistically costing boat builds out.....

6m hull length not including bowsprit
    fisher quote1.jpgfisher quote2.jpg

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

I've got nothing to prove or disprove the discussion on price, but, from my reading and thinking it sounds pretty much honest and accurate on all fronts in the past few posts.

That said, I can see the appeal of the Chinese build when price alone is used as a criteria.

As I said previously, I think the Facebook page and "public" scrutiny is a bloody good idea.

And, I'm glad to read the honest 'stress and grief' comments, feedback etc. It makes this whole thread, discussion etc into context. Well done for your honesty disorderly.

I am personally struggling with the 'support Australia' vs chinese build, and totally accept 99% of my material possessions are made outside Australia. My feelings and opinion are not aimed at discouraging you or others, rather just to add to the discussion. I like to support Australia made wherever I can, but am also a realist and accept financial constraints impact all of us, together with a limitation of viable alternatives.

I hope you get an awesome boat and have years of trouble free use. Good karma to you for your honesty. Hopefully Huey rewards you with good seas.

fitout boat.jpg

She is coming along quite nicely...…..another pic on the blog as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    I've got nothing to prove or disprove the discussion on price, but, from my reading and thinking it sounds pretty much honest and accurate on all fronts in the past few posts.

That said, I can see the appeal of the Chinese build when price alone is used as a criteria.

As I said previously, I think the Facebook page and "public" scrutiny is a bloody good idea.

And, I'm glad to read the honest 'stress and grief' comments, feedback etc. It makes this whole thread, discussion etc into context. Well done for your honesty disorderly.

I am personally struggling with the 'support Australia' vs chinese build, and totally accept 99% of my material possessions are made outside Australia. My feelings and opinion are not aimed at discouraging you or others, rather just to add to the discussion. I like to support Australia made wherever I can, but am also a realist and accept financial constraints impact all of us, together with a limitation of viable alternatives.

I hope you get an awesome boat and have years of trouble free use. Good karma to you for your honesty. Hopefully Huey rewards you with good seas.
    It is how it is mate.....no point sugar coating it...I remain hopeful of getting a good boat ...I think it looks structurally sound and well finished but I'm told to expect the fitout to be sub standard in regards to things such as plumbing ,wiring etc so I'm prepared to deal with that..

It was also a bit of a struggle to overcome the "buy in Australia" thing at first....but as you say we did cast a critical eye over all our possessions and realised that even stuff bought from aussie companies had elements manufactured overseas....an "aussie " built boat is composed of most every part of it ,right down to the welding wire and paint, is manufactured overseas.....its just simply welded together and fitted out here......and I find I don't even want to deal with the keyboard warriors who fire off their anti-china sentiment on their Chinese built phones....

Starting to look like a weapon , look at it color wise compared to the black hull, awesome color choice, black hulls are so yesterday .

looks awesome! will this be based in brisbane? Would love to come and see it...

Final fitout 1.jpg

She will be finished this week and get carefully wrapped up and containerised next week...

She is starting to look better than I even hoped she would....though I might have to hit those white hatchs and covers with some silver/grey spraypaint I think...

I was talking to Jacob Noble today and he mentioned about his families bad experiences with the Chinese and losing the Noble company to them...as a fabricator and boatbuilder he has done repairs to earlier noble imports from China which he said were often poorly welded,badly built and full of bog....

After he took a look at my blog he conceded it was OK and built better than most Chinese boats he had seen..

He is also still building the occasional boat and is happy to do a Supervee 6.25m centre cab, unpainted hull for about 50K if anyone is interested.....he also has a nice 5m Noble hulled centre console with a yammie on the back for sale currently......

Quote Originally Posted by Whiley_Whiting View Post
    looks awesome! will this be based in brisbane? Would love to come and see it...
    Cool Whiting, don't forget the beers....and don't drink them all on the trip up though..I'm 1800kms north of Brisvegas...

I was thinking about a black boat 18 months ago Catshark...but now they are everywhere...just wanted something a little different and understated..the missus is happy with the colour so thats the main thing, right..

Disorderly that's like a boot to the gut mate why would u contact the owner and say hey i ordered one of your models directly from China? you just don't do that kind of thing, lucky for u he replied and in what seems a nicely manner

Is it just me or does the front end of the bow rail not look symmetrical?

Geez they really are punching out a few boats!!

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Disorderly that's like a boot to the gut mate why would u contact the owner and say hey i ordered one of your models directly from China? you just don't do that kind of thing, lucky for u he replied and in what seems a nicely manner
    Where's that ignore button again....?

You do speak some rubbish Gaz and stop being such a judgemental know-it-all..

Apart from a few snippets I shared, you have no idea of the discussion that we had.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Is it just me or does the front end of the bow rail not look symmetrical?
    Space for electric? Just s guess

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Where's that ignore button again....?

You do speak some rubbish Gaz and stop being such a judgemental know-it-all..

Apart from a few snippets I shared, you have no idea of the discussion that we had.....
    A guy lost his business to china, you take up a job with this chinese company, you contact the owner of the design to over look your build of a piracy than say i have no clue?

I may have no clue i am just speculating on what your saying but i am a man who believes in morals

Treat as u want to be treated, in your case your cutting off the hand that fed u the design than showing it to them

I donno just me... how could u not feel the slightest bit guilty