Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Best of luck with the build and import. Is the aluminium sourced in China and to what standard is it manufactured too?

This has been said over and over, but it fails to sink in, China can build some very cheap junk copies, that's a given, but, they also produce some very high end equipment, with strict quality control and materials, it's the specific quality requested (and paid for) that differs, sure there has been some shonkey stuff on the market disguised as top shelf, but in the end, it's no different to going to (say) Bali and buying "genuine" brand name clothes for a couple of dollars, you know it's shit, but you buy it for the short term use anyway. Plenty have said that they "buy Australian" but those same people shop online and buy gear from overseas, motor parts from other countries, supporting their local guy goes out the window then, buying offshore has pitfalls, but, the smart buyer who does his homework can get decent buys at times.

Made in Japan meant an entirely different thing when I was a kid.

Just to give a real world personal experience with Chinese manufacturing (and I have posted this before) years ago I was involved in an indirect way with batteries, and by batteries I mean small A/AA sort of batteries, we could source various brands, or get our own brand if we wanted, the "salesman" who represented a huge Chinese manufacturing plant simply asked "how much do you want to pay for them" he showed us samples, and the top shelf battery cutaway showed the case full of "battery" the cheapest in the range (still the same brand) had a little bit of chemical in the bottom, the rest of the case was simply filler, he told us they used sawdust mixed with glue, so, depending on what you wanted, was how much you paid per battery, electrical goods, clothes, watches and everything else is the same, you specify quality, you get it if you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    The link in the first post says that the boat comes with an 'Australia build plate'.
    If Gospel haven’t got an Australian ABN or ACN they can’t fit the plate. The importer (this customer) is responsible for fitting the plate with the correct info and takes liability.

Just having a plate fitted in china means sweet f all

What liability does the person putting the plate on take reelally?

From what I see the ABP is nothing more than a nameplate describing some basic things about the hull.

The first nobels were built on a dirt floor with workers pushing the hull sheets in place

Welder was on a pallet to keep it out of the water

Factory looks a bit better this time round

The photos describing the above were posted when the before mentioned noble had all the structural issues

I’d be wanting to see it on raw form before they covered it in bog and paint

There's a book called "Poorly made in China" by Paul Midler, its an interesting read and provides an insight into how the Chinese think....I'm not making a specific comment regarding this boat build, I hope it goes well and if you can keep on top of it, it will. But a quick search on here will reveal quite a story about NBI so hopefully you have read it and can avoid any pitfalls from that Member's experience.

Some comments on here are both right and wrong, there are plenty of companies who have sold their businesses to Chinese (Including NB to NBI) and they have been compensated accordingly but the Chinese are also very good at "Acquireing" IP through reverse engineering & making copies and those companies have not been compensated for their IP, I was talking to an equipment company the other day about this very scenario, they believe that had happened to them after selling a few machines into China. I no longer allow visitors into our plant for this very reason....even though they "Insist".

http://www.anzsbeg.com.au/index.php/...uilders-plate/

Who can determine the information on an ABP?

The information on an ABP must be determined by a competent person. A competent person is defined as a person who has acquired through training, qualification, experience, or a combination of these, the knowledge and skills enabling that person to competently determine the information on a builders plate. The competent person is either:
    • The builder;
    • The importer; or
    • A third-party competent person. (e.g. marine surveyor or naval architect)
    In general, a commercial boat builder is deemed to be a competent person for the purpose of the ABP standard. In the case of an owner-builder or importer, they may not meet the definition of a competent person, in which case a third-party competent person may need to be engaged to determine the information. Where this occurs, the name of the third-party competent person should be shown on the ABP, along with that of the builder or importer. A third-party competent person - e.g. marine surveyor or naval architect in your area.
    Any person whose name appears on the plate is assuming responsibility for the information on that plate.
    Examples:
    •Built by Sunhope Boats, Australia
    •Imported by RayStan Holdings, Australia
    •Information approved by E.R. Smith, Naval Architect, Sydney, Aust

The great wall utes are a an excellent example of chinese build quality

Don't shoot me down cause I do feel for Benny and the boys at Noble if their design/plans were indeed effectively stolen and copied but can't you get a patent in place to legally stop this?

Or you can't for China?!

I find most things made in China are junk compared to a lot of other places, but this is just my opinion from personal experience.

There's reasonable confidence that the Chinese armaments work pretty well - up to and including ICBMs which I reckon would be pretty complex machines. So I am sure they CAN build high quality gear.
    The Japanese copied western gear very shoddily to get their tooling up and a market share and then showed the West what quality engineering was a few years later. Korea followed...China is next.
    Unless maybe selling cheap tat to stupid greedy westerners is more profitable?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

All the best with the build!
    You must have balls to throw money at a boat that has no after sales support.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    it's the specific quality requested (and paid for) that differs
    A mate of mine runs an import business with Australian-Chinese staff overseeing production at that end and his take on it is that it is the degree of outside supervision that generally dictates quality, not the quality requested and paid for.

He explained that it's his experience that the Chinese just don't see an ethical issue with changing materials or procedure if it saves them time or money. That's simply good business. The impact on the quality of the end item doesn't really figure in their assessment - it's your responsibility as the customer to complain if it doesn't meet your needs.

China is capable of producing high quality gear, there's no question of that. The key as a Western importer is to ensure that you (1) document clear performance expectations and minimum specifications; and (2) have staff on the ground overseeing operations regularly enough to ensure compliance with the agreement.

Also don't have manufacture anything unique over there, because if it's successful then there's a decent chance you'll find it appearing on Ali Express or similar at a lower price under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    A mate of mine runs an import business with Australian-Chinese staff overseeing production at that end and his take on it is that it is the degree of outside supervision that generally dictates quality, not the quality requested and paid for.

He explained that it's his experience that the Chinese just don't see an ethical issue with changing materials or procedure if it saves them time or money. That's simply good business. The impact on the quality of the end item doesn't really figure in their assessment - it's your responsibility as the customer to complain if it doesn't meet your needs.

China is capable of producing high quality gear, there's no question of that. The key as a Western importer is to ensure that you (1) document clear performance expectations and minimum specifications; and (2) have staff on the ground overseeing operations regularly enough to ensure compliance with the agreement.

Also don't have manufacture anything unique over there, because if it's successful then there's a decent chance you'll find it appearing on Ali Express or similar at a lower price under a different name.
    That's probably the most astute post I've seen yet...most of the others are just talking out their asses...

Define most others
    Or just ripping on who ever isn’t making you feel better about what your doing

Bunnings also do this
    They use you to supply new products and effectively your business is a bank for them and if the product issuccessful will get a Chinese knock off and cut you as a supplier

We saw their buyers one year at quandong at the annual trade show carrying our products around as samples to get made

Business is ruthless.