Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Brake pads will probably be asbestos even if they say they're not.

Maybe not considering you could have walked into any auto parts store in the last 10 years and purchased " Made in China " brake pads that did not contain asbestos. Hard on rotors and dusty bastards of things but asbestos free.

I still see the odd set of Bendix Standards listed on Gumtree and Fleabay.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Looks like a great build, I’ve been following with interest as I work for a company that imports Chinese made off-road camper trailers, in my time with them I have worked heavily with the factory (which funnily enough is not far at all from Gospel’s factory) on improving design and making changes to avoid warranty claims, our trailers are still assembled here in Aus and I though you might like some input on what I have found (mainly in relation to your trailer).

Check all wiring thoroughly, we have found that at times the lights are wired incorrectly, resulting in brakes and lights not working upon qc checks, this is usually a simple wrong colour used for the tail lights etc. but can cause huge headaches in fixing, usually resulting in ripping out the entire loom and starting again (not a huge job), in my opinion I would actually request that they mount the lights for you but you wire them up while you do your brakes.

I honestly don’t believe that the tensile ratings on bolts are what they say they are, we had several bolt failures in the past that by our (Australian) engineer simply shouldn’t ever happen, we now supply our own bolts from Forch or Wurth with a higher tensile and usually go up a size ie previously M14 8.8, now an M16 10.9, we have not had one failure since doing this.

Good luck with the rest of the build I hope it goes well for you, all the dicking around will be worth it when you drag the first fish over the side.

I received an update and posted a photo on the blog of the boat primed and sitting in the heated booth...she should have a topcoat and be finished by the end of the week..just hope that the missus choice of colours doesn't look too crap..lol….

and thanks for the advice Cobbo….I think I'll take a light board when I pick her up from the port for the 3 hour tow home...have you been over there to help get everything right in the factory and how do you find them to work with...?

Light board wouldn’t be a horrible idea, along with a set of spanners and sockets (they don’t bother torquing bolts over there very often) also I’d recommend checking tyre pressures instantly.
    I’ve been over quite a few times, verbally they’re very accommodating but usually I find it can take two or three times to get it right, this is mainly due to a language barrier and email can actually make this process easier. In relation to warranty I’d advise getting in writing from them the details of the terms, and should you find the smallest issue be sure to follow up for a reimbursement, I’ve seen cases where they will use it against you later with any larger issues, making the argument that you didn’t bother earlier so why should they bother now.
    To summarise my experience with Chinese manufacturing:

The quality can be there, as long as you push for it.
    Don’t ever think that there is any level of trust or loyalty there.
    Expect delays (it sounds like you’re past this)
    If there is a shortcut, they will take it unless you speak up.
    Document everything, if possible in your case I would personally have someone film the breaking of the container seal, opening the doors and removing the boat from the container following by a thorough filming of the boat, this will be valuable in the case of finding any transport damage.
    On the bill of ladding you’ll find a seal number, check this against the seal on the container door, I’ve attached a link below explaining this a little more. It’s highly unlikely there will be a problem but better to be prepared.

https://www.haulio.io/blog/2019/05/e...ntainer-seals/

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I received an update and posted a photo on the blog of the boat primed and sitting in the heated booth...she should have a topcoat and be finished by the end of the week..just hope that the missus choice of colours doesn't look too crap..lol….

and thanks for the advice Cobbo….I think I'll take a light board when I pick her up from the port for the 3 hour tow home...have you been over there to help get everything right in the factory and how do you find them to work with...?
    If you have the leave, for the price of a plane ticket and a bit of accom it could well be cheap Insurance to have a good look over it before it leaves the factory and get things fixed that you would like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Pm’d you disorderly.

Paint is finished on the boat....not sure about the colour that the missus has chosen but as long as she is happy, I'm happy....just a bit of fitout to come now...

https://www.facebook.com/My-Gospel-P...location=group

and you are probably right there dirtyfuzz and thanks for your advice too Cobbo…

Is that a normal practice to roll a hull on its side without being on a rotisserie? i have not seen many builds before none in person and only a handful online of late

Hope it arrives safe and sound for u Disorderly

Color is excellent , looks good and that factory looks clean as a whistle, if you look how clean the windows are and how tidy the floor is then well im convinced you are getting product by a group that takes pride in their work , the welds on the bow rails etc are good enough for me. id get a boat built their too...

I think you might be pleasantly surprised how good the colour scheme is when you first see it in person.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

I can see the value in the Facebook page in keeping them honest. I'm not sure I have the patience or stress / anxiety tolerance for a "project" like this.

Sheesh, you must be zooming in and looking at every picture, video, with a magnifying glass.

As others have suggested, a plane ticket and some accommodation would be good insurance to view her yourself before it's shipped. Or at least, have someone else go to the factory and take pictures, video etc. for you before it's shipped.

What's your expected saving on the hull going via this process compared to an Aussie built one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    I can see the value in the Facebook page in keeping them honest. I'm not sure I have the patience or stress / anxiety tolerance for a "project" like this.

Sheesh, you must be zooming in and looking at every picture, video, with a magnifying glass.

As others have suggested, a plane ticket and some accommodation would be good insurance to view her yourself before it's shipped. Or at least, have someone else go to the factory and take pictures, video etc. for you before it's shipped.

What's your expected saving on the hull going via this process compared to an Aussie built one?
    Yep been feeling a bit high strung about it all....main dramas are with the sales staff and their lack of understanding of boats and fishing as well as cultural differences and an inability to communicate my needs from the front office to the non English speaking builders on the workshop floor....if you need to feel like you have a high degree of control over your build then this probably isn't for you but on the other hand I only put 8K down and that was all I was risking till the boat is shipped and I need to pay the remittance...

Plenty of hours of editing and zooming.....cant really fault the workmanship...welds are very tidy and overall build seems to be very good as far as what can be seen through video and photo's.....plenty more photo's will come after fitout before final payment...and yep it was amazing ..they dicked me around for 2 months then magically within a week of starting the public blog my boat was started and now almost finished in 6 weeks..I'm convinced they made extra efforts, quickly fixed any issues and sent many more photo's than what others have received because of the scrutiny.....they would be mad not too...

Expected saving ...apples for apples.....all the pumps and fitout gear are either American made or decent quality ………..price for hull to same level of completion and fitout roughly half or a little more of getting built here ...any 6.5m LOA fixed hardtop built here you wouldn't expect change from 100K after fitout…..my trailer is not fancy and basic fitout but roughly 60K up and running without counting trolling motor and using Furuno and garmin electronics from my old boat...and of course like any boat I will continue throwing money at it forever....that's half the joy of having a new boat..

Here is a zoom of an advertisement posted yesterday on another site of a good old aussie Stacer ocean ranger plate alloy boat (or Yellowfin)...the old Quintrex factory continues to plumb new lows....This was their dealerships feature "Boat of the Week"...…..

Made in Australia sure doesn't mean what it did in the past.....

stacer ocean ranger welds.jpg

Not too sure what that photos is.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure what that photos is.
    Neither am I but I think its meant to be a weld....could also just be birdshit dribbling down the bow..