Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    he has to pay a ship wright or a naval architect to sign off his ABP sounds like $$$ because that special person will be hanging there ass on the line for this Chinese imported boat to be sea worthy and lawfully they (might) be liable if the boat sank at sea and someone died
    Careful of glass houses Gaz. Given this is a professionally built boat I suggest much less recourse on an individual than say a backyarder like yourself who rebuilds a hull. Do you intend to sign off on a new ABP for your hull?

Having seen some of the shit that comes out of the Australian boat building scene I don't blame old mate for looking to build offshore and import himself. Couldn't be any worse than the poor sods who lost huge sums of money and got rooted around no end by one of Australia's "premier" custom plate boat builders a few years back. Pheonixing of boat building companies has a proud tradition in this country so in my view the risk of doing your $ is just as high locally as overseas. The only difference is its easier to track someone down locally and kick shit out of them when it all goes pearshaped.

Hey CT nah no ABP needed for my boat the boat coder shouldeasily be able to identify it as being a 70's model boat due to the shape of the hull and V in the sides

yeah i have heard about people being ripped off it in i haven't seen it first hand in boats but my little nephews uncle from his mothers side of the family done a huge job with a lot of expensive tiles and benches for a shop inside a huge shopping center in Sydney and the owner went belly up he got nothing from it and it was all on business credit it sunk the poor bloke

i had a boat on consignment one time than found out if the company went belly up they keep my boat and i get nothing i called up about taking the boat off consignment and they said i had to pay a heap of money to get it back early i was shitting my self they ended up selling my boat than going bust shortly after it i have never ever put anything on consignment again way to easy for a business to go bankrupt and keep it

its a scary financial country out there very risky i can understand this guy has a much chance of a China company ripping him off as one just around the corner from his house, if it were me i would have went with a big name less of a risk

it wouldbe ok if China were closer and u could pop in once a week to view the progressof the boat being built as u could stop it right there and than and have something redone but once a boat is built and on its way your pretty much stuck with the outcome or fork out more money at home to have it repaired

Quote Originally Posted by CT;1656274+

Having seen some of the shit that comes out of the Australian boat building scene I don't blame old mate for looking to build offshore and import himself. Couldn't be any worse than the poor sods who lost huge sums of money and got rooted around no end by one of Australia's "premier" custom plate boat builders a few years back. Pheonixing of boat building companies has a proud tradition in this country so in my view the risk of doing your $ is just as high locally as overseas. The only difference is its easier to track someone down locally and kick shit out of them when it all goes pearshaped.
    Pretty much what went through my mind every time someone said buy local in this thread.

Not too sure why everyone is against this guy, he seems to have done his homework, it's his money, and it's his choice, we have all had experience with cheap Chinese crap tools and other goods, but as has been said here over and over, China can make good stuff if need be, or cheap crap, he seems satisfied it's under control, so give it a rest and follow the progress.

Not so much against him Noel but it's my understanding he is relaying on the sales guy to keep an eye on the build and that sales guy would live and work in China for these people who are building the boat so as long as he gets a sale and money in his pocket.... but in saying that the quality may be really good we won't know untill the OP uploads pic's once it arrives so its a kind of buckle in and enjoy the ride

If his boat turns up for under $35,000 all said and done delivered than $10,000 that's a good dollar saved on a percentage but if it doesn't pan out there will be a lot of people saying we told u so maybe even people that have been down this road before bitten once twice shy

I am always looking for new tools from China because i am happy with less than top of the range equipment for half the price roughly, some products are really good you can often tell by accessories i the accessories are toy'ish than u know its low quality knock out and sell

I hope for this blokes sake the boat is a good build with a decent welder and no dents and shit down the sides or ripples... this bloke saved for i think 1 or 2 years that is a long time so its likely a once in a lifetime purchase i just hope it pans out and he gets exactly what he pays for

Yes the Chinese can do good work but from what i have gathered from the stuff i have bought from China the good work comes with a good price tag the Chinese are not shy to charge u close to what u expect to pay in Australia i have even seen some want slightly more....

Since the OP saved for so long if it were me i would like to fly over to China and take a look a couple times over the build or even hire someone in the trade to inspect it on your behalf its a lot of money to not have that reinsurance

Kind of like would u buy a 1 cubic block of ice from a eskimo to deliver it to Sydney in December in a cardboard box on a pallet?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    nah no ABP needed for my boat
    So you’re saying that disorderly has a duty of care to future owners for a boat he had professionally built yet you don’t seem to believe that the same duty of care applies to your rebuild. ABP or not you can’t have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    So you’re saying that disorderly has a duty of care to future owners for a boat he had professionally built yet you don’t seem to believe that the same duty of care applies to your rebuild. ABP or not you can’t have it both ways.
    Boats built after 2006 its mandatory to have a ABP, Boats built before 2006 don't need one,They state that if i overhaul my hull, extend it or modify it in a way from original i need it inspected by a shipwright or naval architect but there is no law in place to make sure i do it, with the ABP it must be inspected.

The fact that these boats come with a 10 year hull structural warranty speaks volumes for the quality of workmanship coming out of China.
    http://www.nafa.com.au/review/1099.html

He might just get a good boat if its a decent builder

Think we need to cut disorderly a bit of slack, he just wants to do a progress blog about importing a boat and share to the public, I don’t see any issue with it and I hope he is honest and posts the good and bad points with importing and is not using this progress blog as a marketing tool for himself, plenty of people import boats from all over the world so Just because these are from China if the QA is there and all the paperwork is legit then it’s probably no worse than a fab shop in Oz that decides to pop out boats as a secondary income stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

yeah looking forward to some progress reports, happy days

Can someone please explain to me how is this a Chinese copy if Noble sold it to them? How is it stealing someone's design when you paid for it? In the first place, can you patent something that you just weld together? I mean a boat is a boat, you can't prevent others from building a boat with similar specs unless it is a new invention or there is something particularly unique about it, just like I can't patent my timber deck design or accuse my neighbour of copying it.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Gimme this discussion has come up before boats have been around a very long time i don't think u can patent a boat hull but u can a specific design of a hull that is my understanding Nobel had the rights to build their design of a hull they took there business to China from what i am reading there are no patents in China its a man eat man world..... China pretty much owns our economy so we get flogged a lot of Chinese products

gazza, there are definitely patent laws in China. Problem is a lot of stuff we read and hear these days are based on hearsay and needs to be consumed with an open mind.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

There is ip protection laws in China, if Nobel didn’t trademark or apply for ip rights in China before manufacture on their designs then you can only put it down to a lesson learnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme5 View Post
    gazza, there are definitely patent laws in China. Problem is a lot of stuff we read and hear these days are based on hearsay and needs to be consumed with an open mind.
    Noble entered into an agreement with the Chinese and the Chinese set up their own factory once they got their hands on the design
    Noble guys challenged them and it went to the courts before 5 judges
    NBI [Chinese] legal team challenged Noble family that to defend their case they must have $165k to cover the Chinese costs of NBI if Noble loses They did not have the money so the judges ruled in favour of NBI but left the case open should Noble want to contest in the future as they had a case with merit but insufficient funds
    Family business versus $10 billion a year Chinese business
    If you want the details they are on public record

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev