Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 309
  1. #31

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    2019 140hp Suzuki Outboard, How do u suggest a mechanic remove the valve shims? the tolerance between cam and valve shim would be 00.15mm or less i see the newer engines the valve shims are on top of the valve bucket

    possibly they compress the spring than remove the shim?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-t...AAAOSwdelc6Lb8
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  2. #32

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I think u need some knowledge on outboard mechanics up untill these new engines came out that had the shims under the buckets and u have to remove the cams to remove the buckets to remove the shims
    No you donít . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  3. #33

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Itís in the advertising quick adjustable valve adjustment

    Another thread taken off path

  4. #34

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Just to stray off a bit more, how the valve clearances (tappets to us older folk) are adjusted is no different to most modern cars, the reality is, they rarely need adjusting, hands up anyone who has had the tappets done in any car less than 15 years old! (or older for that matter)

  5. #35

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    my new diesel ute had them done at first service and every 100,00km aparantly
    my 1965 cortinas every 10,000 lol

    think the yamaha 50hp gets done at first 100 hours

  6. #36

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    So how exactly is this tool used, You ideally change valve shims at TDC with the valves closed on the intake and exhaust ports now if u used this tool u wont be able to push the valves down because they'll hit the piston at TDC and u wont have any clearance to remove the shims because of the cam shaft will be over the top of the shim

    if u rotate BTD or ATC than the cam lobe will be pushing down on that valve and you again will have no clearance

    BTW that is a 1970's 1980's model motorcycle part we are talking about outboards built in 2019

  7. #37

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just to stray off a bit more, how the valve clearances (tappets to us older folk) are adjusted is no different to most modern cars, the reality is, they rarely need adjusting, hands up anyone who has had the tappets done in any car less than 15 years old! (or older for that matter)
    I have had both OHC Honda and Mazda that both required mandatory valve adjustments.

    Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

  8. #38

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Most have them "checked" and I can assure you, it would be extremely rare to require adjustment, almost all dealers don't even check them.

  9. #39

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    So how exactly is this tool used, You ideally change valve shims at TDC with the valves closed on the intake and exhaust ports now if u used this tool u wont be able to push the valves down because they'll hit the piston at TDC and u wont have any clearance to remove the shims because of the cam shaft will be over the top of the shim

    if u rotate BTD or ATC than the cam lobe will be pushing down on that valve and you again will have no clearance

    BTW that is a 1970's 1980's model motorcycle part we are talking about outboards built in 2019
    You seem to have all the clues . Work it out ,I know as I have done it on Suzuki motor bikes in the 80 s . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  10. #40

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Can't speak about outboards or cars but yeah 4 stroke motorcycles mostly use shim and bucket in the valve train which require clearance measurement and shim replacement if required. Replacement requires cam removal in all examples I know of - though that's not neccessarily an overly complex operation for a well set up expert. 20000km, 40000km, 60000km are typical intervals and sometimes do not require replacement. (My Ducati being an exception but it's Italian).

    Note: it's recent examples I speak of. Back in the 80s screw and locknut were more common at least on what I had.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  11. #41

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    You seem to have all the clues . Work it out ,I know as I have done it on Suzuki motor bikes in the 80 s . Matt
    But you and your mates are saying i don't know what I'm talking about? i really want u to explain to me how the shims or tappet adjusters are removed with the cam shafts in place

    you pulled me up on this now please explain because I'm interested to hear how its done the genuine way without rubbing me off with a snide remark to my intelligence

    i see people are even liking your post lol you really have no clue mate so please don't judge my intelligence

    i am a back yard mechanic there really is no difference in four strokes and there mechanical parts they may be slightly different but they all have the same principles, for you to say u just push back a valve spring and pop a shim out is talking shit because there is 00.15mm or less clearance between the cam shaft lobe and the valve, pushing a spring back does nothing for clearance it does not gain u any room a spring is only there to return the valve and lift it

  12. #42

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Can't speak about outboards or cars but yeah 4 stroke motorcycles mostly use shim and bucket in the valve train which require clearance measurement and shim replacement if required. Replacement requires cam removal in all examples I know of - though that's not neccessarily an overly complex operation for a well set up expert. 20000km, 40000km, 60000km are typical intervals and sometimes do not require replacement. (My Ducati being an exception but it's Italian).

    Note: it's recent examples I speak of. Back in the 80s screw and locknut were more common at least on what I had.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    A screw and locknut, now you're talking, I had lots of old Holden's and a Mini Cooper S and they were all like that, you set it with feeler gauges first, then start the motor and do it with the motor running, bugger of a job keeping the spanner on the nut and getting the screw driver in the slot with it bobbing up and down, then these new fangled hydraulic lifters came out, damn over head cams and cars with "black boxes" and EFI, time to toss the spanners away..........

  13. #43

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Now to wander completely off track and derail the thread entirely, when I was a teenager and getting my first car, a measure of a cars ability was if it could get up Mount Ousley (a hill on the highway near Wollongong) in "top" gear, and even better if it made it in top, and didn't over heat in the process, they were the days, my old FC Holden panel van, loaded with surfboards on the roof, three mates in the front, and a couple of guys laying in the back, off on a surfing trip, most times we only made it a few miles before the car broke down, man have I got a story about Bells Beach one Easter!

  14. #44

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..



    Suzuki have two tools available to remove the shim with the cam in place donít even have to loosen off the cam retainers

  15. #45

    Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

    Nolem the early ford stuff is the same with adjusting nut on the rocker arm

    3000 mile oil changes and 40,000 mile engine life.

    I rev mine a bit 7500 sometimes 8000 if I turn the limiter off
    so Iím adjusting them every month or so

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us