Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Re: Chinese Nobel Supervee copy boatbuild..

Seawind used to be built near me, they used to transport these big sailing cats by road in the middle of the night, launch them and then fit all the rigging and stuff, they moved manufacturing offshore ages ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    They build some good products in Taiwan, cant say vacuum onfusion is rocket sience i was watching a video just last night wet layup is 60/40 resin/cloth, vacuum infusion is 40/60 resin/cloth for less weight and maximum strength think i was watching a video on Coota Craft they still hand lay wonder why
    I know a guy that has been in fibreglass manufacturing for decades, and he always said that for high quality, high strength, they always hand laid, no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not.

Compared to spray gun layup then yes, but vacuum infusion is better because the higher glass/resin content with weight savings, but what you save on resin you then spend on the plastic to do it, although you do also save a heap on labour too. It takes a bit of skill to setup right and you need the equipment, suitable resin and molds.

When u think about it resin goes off no matter what method u have 40mins so i guess hand laid u do have the several hands on but its less than 1 hour labour vacuum infusion was less labor but u have the added expenses of disposables however u do save that 20% in resin resin its self is quiet expensive but so is labour for several men with hand laid
    I guess the down time for those several men would be quiet high in labour as no one is going to go into work for 1 hour once a day
    I donno about the strength saving 20% of resin but that sure would add to a boats overall weight extra 100kg of a 500kg boat doesnt seem like much really but the cost of an extra 100kg of resin would be seral hundred dollars quiet a nice bit of change
    I also seen that vinylester and epoxy are used for vacuum infusion rather than polyester used in hand laid method any reason behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I know a guy that has been in fibreglass manufacturing for decades, and he always said that for high quality, high strength, they always hand laid, no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not.
    Maybe the hand lay is more delicate to radiuses like the strakes?

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Compared to spray gun layup then yes, but vacuum infusion is better because the higher glass/resin content with weight savings, but what you save on resin you then spend on the plastic to do it, although you do also save a heap on labour too. It takes a bit of skill to setup right and you need the equipment, suitable resin and molds.
    Yeah i noticed this one job on youtube had a dry spot that only wet out in the very end of the video that dry spot i think could have reuin the whole lot unless u could some how repatch that section

What do you call it when posters take the OP's original topic off track?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    What do you call it when posters take the OP's original topic off track?
    Ausfish.......😂

Yeeeeehaa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Thought I better get this back on track....lol

It seems communication has been an issue with certain aspects of the Boatbuild so I added a new blog post showing how I'm trying to overcome the language barrier...

Overseas operatives can't even fix my broadband....Not because they are idiots or lack skill, but for this very reason. Language barrier and cultural differences. You can bet the Chinese guy down the road from the factory will have no issues with his boat.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was just thinkin' about the responses of some on this thread to Disorderly and his adventure ...

There are a number of people who get all heated about the Noble-copy thing. But.

Whoever owned the Noble company tried to get his designs made in China and didn't have enough protection of his IP. Then the Chinese nicked it and here we are ...

The situation would not have occurred if Mr Noble hadn't wanted to sack his Aussie workers to get a better profit margin now would it ?

Given this, I hope that all those exorbitantly expensive boat builders do the same thing. That would mean fisher peoples could have the low-tech part of boating supplied for a price much closer to materials cost (The high-tech part of the boats being the electronics and the motors)

What's more, I think with some proper feedback and learning the Chinese will begin to make a very acceptable product just as they will eventually with cars.

What Mr Noble did for the fishing community was a great help by letting the Chinese see his designs. I thank you Mr Noble !

now fellas ... be nice ! :-)

Smakka i wonder if the Chinese will invest in a Kemppi.. or prefer there weldrrs? Tried looking at the welders in the pics they are no name shitters unless i missed the Miller tags