Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question on refueling a boat

Simple question on refueling a boat

Got a newbie question here. I'm a relatively new boat owner (less than 10hrs) and looking to going to servo for the first time.

There is a sticker on my boat's plastic fuel tank that says not to fill the tank to the max. Also some other sources on the internet recommend the same. So how do you guys fill the tank of your boat if you want to fill to the safe maximum? How do you know when to stop?

What fuel best for new yamaha four stroke, 91 or 95? is it worth paying extrafor 95?

Thanks

Re: Simple question on refueling a boat

The best fuel to use is what Yamaha recommend, end of story. If using 25 lt tote tanks, I find 20 lts is good . Allows for expansion, and easier to calculate usage.

Thanks mate, I'll re-phrase my question.

My boat's fuel tank is 150l, there is some amount of fuel in there right now (maybe 55l maybe 80l, have no idea how much exactly). How do I fill the tank to the safe maximum at the servo?
    How do people here do it? Surely there should be simple enough way of doing it, or not?

Fill up just before you hit the water, keep an eye & ear on the filler hole & the breather and after a while you will get to 'know' your tank.
    Google "fuel whistle".

I like to maximise my range so I keep filling until petrol pisses out all over the forecourt, never been an issue (Plastic tank), if fuel expands it will come out the breathers not pop the tank.

Poly tank in mine too and while I am not quite as "enthusiastic" as Crunchy😂, I fill mine until I can see fuel in the filler pipe on the way to the ramp or the night before.

Thanks guys, that clears it up for me!!!

Always fill up on your way home or get your deckies to fill up if u get petrol on your hands its harder to catch fish lol some nights i sit there with one small 15cm snapper while everyone else is bagging out

Petrol bowsers are safe to use they sense when your nearly full and shut off before the fuel over flows, on the bowser handle the nozel has a small return hose it some how senses when your full maybe like a back flow vent seen it on tv one time but cant remember much of it

Just stick the whole end of the metal hose into your tank and pump at max speed it'll shut off when full

Those days of 60 100 litres of fuel pissing out are gone i have noticed no servos have the lock on the pumps handle anymore so u have to physically pull and hold the lever

When you store the boat store it nose down to minimise leakage out the breathers when the temp rises and cause the fuel to expand

Re fuel use what ever the manual says. 91is fine for my four stroke Yamaha as long as it’s got no ethanol in it

so you dont know how much fuel is in it ? i mean no gauges or do you dip the tank to guestimate.
    with the fuel avoid fuels that contain ethonol e10 etc....and just keep filling until the nozzle clicks off from the pressure in the tank , same like car, dont worry if it spills, happen to us all.
    okay spill what did you buy and photos too..

Bad advice relying on the nozzle clicking off to tell you the tank is full you could easily finish up with a lot less fuel than you think.

Fed always works for me with both tote tanks and under floor tanks even works for my mates although they give it a few more clicks only as when the tank gets full it bubbles up inside the filler hose but they keep pumping untill it spurts out the vent which i think is over filling it

you can easily look at the pump to see how many litres u put in

bad advice? give me a break. if you can fill your car, you can fill your tank.

Never had an issue with filling to click off.
    I guess it comes down to tank design and breather placement.
    Jack.

Only way i can see the click off being a problem is if the breethr cant expell the pressure quick enough from the tank while filling