Thread: Side console vs centre console

Side console vs centre console

Hi!

Thinking of getting a side console or centre console. Glass or Aluminium. Not sure at the moment. This would be my second boat. Already have a 6M Victory.

What are some good boats out there that have either a side or centre setup?

What are the pro and cons of side vs centre?

Boat will be used mainly for inside the heads.

Thanks

Re: Side console vs centre console

there be a few votes on here for the quintrex gatorade. the side console seems very popular these days. also are you open to a tough little kitty as in a webster twinfisher.. i used to have a clark abalone, tough boat but crap compared to what you can get these days, some say the stacer as well. if i was going to go tinny again , id think about those bluefin boats.

The first boat I would be looking at is a bar crusher XS Or WR....... these are rugged extremely well made boats that are available in sub 5m . The next would be Seajay boats ...... well made and well finished.

Side or Centre console....... side console are really more designed for flat water and generally doesn’t give you the ability to stand and drive the boat in rough lumpy conditions and it is more challenging to balance out the boat. They are great for putting along a creek or dam looking for places to throw a lure at. ..... or those big fast runs up a river or dam .
    traditionally SC boats are wider for their length and the hull has less of a dead rise giving better stability but a wetter ride in rough conditions

If if you are using the boat for more traditional types of fishing .... up and down (but not limited to) I would be going CC as you have 360 deg fish ability and plenty capable to go wider and further ...... they are a bit drier when the wind is blowing from the side as you can move and change your driving position . Typically you get that deeper v which is better suited for travelling in a swell.

A well ill set up CC with cast deck , minn Kota , seat / icebox is hard to beat for fishing inshore . ... but plenty capable to go wider.

I have both .... a 5.0m Seajay barramasta side console and a 6.15 barcrusher CC . I have fished 30km offshore in the Seajay and have been caught in shitty conditions...... and got just as wet in both boats.

Honesly though... it really boils down to how you want to use the boat

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep, agree with that, just think about what you want to do with the boat, then imagine how you would do it with a side console, then a centre console, then go to a decent dealer and have a look at both, hop in and have a real life move around and see what suits your intended fishing style.

Something a bit different - https://www.polycraft.com.au/480-brumby/ - Ive driven one similar in rear centre console layout and it was pretty good. Been in a 5.3 metre one 30km out and it was very capable.

Thanks so much for the info. Interesting point on the side console that I didn't think about.

I guess the plan with this is mainly to do the creeks and lakes.

Some of the boats I was looking at:

Stacer 469 Crossfire
    Stessl 480 Trophy Centre console
    Bar Crusher 535 XS
    Morningstar BayFisher 498F

Fit out that I am after is:
    Bait tank
    Bait table
    T-top
    Dual batteries
    Minkota
    Electric anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Dave View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. Interesting point on the side console that I didn't think about.

I guess the plan with this is mainly to do the creeks and lakes.

Some of the boats I was looking at:

Stacer 469 Crossfire
    Stessl 480 Trophy Centre console
    Bar Crusher 535 XS
    Morningstar BayFisher 498F

Fit out that I am after is:
    Bait tank
    Bait table
    T-top
    Dual batteries
    Minkota
    Electric anchor
    the bar crusher will do most of that except the t top .... you’ll need a WR for that
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

the morning star is interesting, fast back design and underside looks good, basic inside though. quality says to me its either the stacer or the barcrusher.

with a CC you can also get some wings/clears and have more options for clears/canvas for overnighting hanging off the t top
    up front than a side console if you need, but side console is imo a better option purely for estuary work, but as an allrounder a CC, im currently looking at both the barcrusher and sea jay options,
    Tangles KFC

I've owned 2 of each type & currently have 1 of each (5m Seajay Barramasta SC & Barcrusher 615WR CC ) - There is a significant difference between the two boats (aside from the length & console configuration)

In all honesty - the only reason I would buy a side console would be to lure cast (snag bash) in calmer waters where the big raised forward cast deck & lower profile console offers a distinct advantage for that style of fishing . Pretty well everything else can be done out of a centre console & probably better if there are more than 2 POBs

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO