Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most easiest method of replacing a transom

Most easiest method of replacing a transom

Just searching hains hunter rebuild videos on youtube came across this one done by a aussie ship wright, how easy does he make it look

Take note the mention the use of epoxy but really they are using polyester resin

What i cant get my head around is the transom laminate 3 layers of chop mat 3 layers of double bias to hold a 150hp geez i went 10 layers of double bias!

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Re: Most easiest method of replacing a transom

Interesting approach.

They talk about the 'inside' around the 4.40 mark, but don't show it. It can't be easy working "inside" and "under" with resin and glass.

I'm not sure how they bonded the ply with the inside skin as it doesn't seem to show it?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Hey Gazza, A couple of years back when I decided to get someone to do my transom, floor,stringers, I rang this very same crowd,,,,,,,,
    Their price without physically seeing the boat, but giving me a " close estimate" for transom stringers and floor, I would take it to them, with floor and stringers ground out,was, 17000,00
    Yep, you read right 17000.00....
    Certainly not discrediting there workmanship or methods, on all accounts they have a good name down here, but are a clear 5-7 k more expensive than anyone else. When questioned on the price, they openly said because they have a shipwrite supervising all stages of repair.

good luck to them I guess..........

Col
    Last edited by blacklab; 20-05-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add text

I would guess they screw the first sheet of plywood to the inner transom skin from the inside as to pull the plywood tightly against the laminate

Gaz I think you will find that the Epoxy that he was refering to was only the glue. Which he used to glue the timber in and together. Because he couldnt get all the ply in, in 1 piece
    Laminating was done in Polyester.
    Also he mentioned the woven cloth. That isnt double bias like you used. There is a big difference.Double Bias is a lot stronger than woven cloth.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hey Gazza, A couple of years back when I decided to get someone to do my transom, floor,stringers, I rang this very same crowd,,,,,,,,
    Their price without physically seeing the boat, but giving me a " close estimate" for transom stringers and floor, I would take it to them, with floor and stringers ground out,was, 17000,00
    Yep, you read right 17000.00....
    Certainly not discrediting there workmanship or methods, on all accounts they have a good name down here, but are a clear 5-7 k more expensive than anyone else. When questioned on the price, they openly said because they have a shipwrite supervising all stages of repair.

good luck to them I guess..........

Col
    Hey Col, Were your quotes one from a general fibreglass repairer to two the ship wright shop? could be why it cost more because your getting technical work done and it may have to pass the scrutiny of the ship wright rather than old joe saying shes strong and pass it along from the general fibreglasser

so technically the SW would be putting his balls on the repair for it to be done perfect where as the general fibreglasser if it were to fail what would he fall back on?

5 to 7k difference is a bit hefty tho when basically all they are doing is a simple job using their technique shown in the video

do u think they are factoring in any work that may return for repairs or do u think they are charging based on work availability? if the jobs are coming in i think a shop will charge more to balance out there work load vs finances coming in

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Gaz I think you will find that the Epoxy that he was refering to was only the glue. Which he used to glue the timber in and together. Because he couldnt get all the ply in, in 1 piece
    Laminating was done in Polyester.
    Also he mentioned the woven cloth. That isnt double bias like you used. There is a big difference.Double Bias is a lot stronger than woven cloth.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Hey Mick thanks for clearing that up i see now the epoxy used, do u think the scheduled written down "DB" "CSM" stands for Double Bias? it does look a lot thinner and not stitched as the stuff i have been using

Hi Gazz, the quote was from the company that did that video you put up, here in Melbourne.
    I saw that video on line and got there name and contact details and rang them, there answer to me was that at their shop they have a qualified ship write or to that effect and that's why they were more expensive. the video is quite a few years old, but when I found it looking for someone to do my job, I rang them.. Maybe they didn't want the work, that's why the quote they gave me was so high, they said to me that that was there average, could be more but would not be any less. Mind you, with the hassles I actually ended up having,, Na, still wouldn't pay that much. the average quotes I got were all around 10k and I took the boat to 2 of the 3 quotes I ended up getting......

Col

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Mick thanks for clearing that up i see now the epoxy used, do u think the scheduled written down "DB" "CSM" stands for Double Bias? it does look a lot thinner and not stitched as the stuff i have been using
    It does look like cloth,but he does say Double Bias initially when he was talking about Epoxy and his lay up plan, but when laying it up he just calls it cloth. Its hard to tell without having a close look. Thats just my observation. If I was to have a bet on it I would go with cloth,but thats just my opinion of what I can see on the video. Maybe my eyes arent as good as they used to be.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Get Norglass to formulate some Aussie Seacast.
    Take one angle grinder, one chain saw, a big drill & speed bores, one mate and 4 cartons of beer plus a weekend.

id be tempted to do it from the inside and not have to do all of that fairing. Piss the well off, cut the gunwhales and take the last couple of feet of the top mould off and then reglass back in after.
    much easier for me to sand a couple of short gunwhale cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hi Gazz, the quote was from the company that did that video you put up, here in Melbourne.
    I saw that video on line and got there name and contact details and rang them, there answer to me was that at their shop they have a qualified ship write or to that effect and that's why they were more expensive. the video is quite a few years old, but when I found it looking for someone to do my job, I rang them.. Maybe they didn't want the work, that's why the quote they gave me was so high, they said to me that that was there average, could be more but would not be any less. Mind you, with the hassles I actually ended up having,, Na, still wouldn't pay that much. the average quotes I got were all around 10k and I took the boat to 2 of the 3 quotes I ended up getting......

Col
    Yeah maybe they had excess work? what size boat Col? 17k is a fair chunk of change

5.4 mtr cruise craft....
    In speaking to others down here since, comments have been made as to there prices being way up there.......

Col

Fed never heard of anyone in Oz making there own Seacast shipping cost a bomb from the US

My, these guys only done it from the outside because of all the transome holes i guess if the inner skin was buggered they would have to remove the cap to but the way they done it made it look so easy peezy

Col i got quoted for my boat gutted $14,000 i've never had half that amount in my life so my boat is a DIY and hope i do it right, when your talking professional jobs geez the do fit a size 14 in dont they, at $100 an hour labour that amount builds quickly but u wonder if it really does cost that much or if the price is being inflaited due to load of jobs lined up
    I guess they have to put their reputation and experience on the line along with all factory operating cost
    But lets say a 5.5m boat gutted and cleaned out i reckon 2 blokes could knock that out in 3 days 24 hours work 2 blokes $4800 labour maybe they charge a fee for your boat sitting idle per hour for curing times?

A lot of that cost is the standing and fairing of the transom. I suggest this is very time consuming and difficult. If you did it from the inside u could do much quicker. If your prepared for a functional finish then it's much quicker. a visible repair line (straight line change the colour) on the inside doesn't even look too bad. Just keep putting glass on . You'll over engineer it. Chopped mat and some knees. Nothing fancy