Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don’t Ride The Waves

Re: Don’t Ride The Waves

he might have got distracted by the overhead drone.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    he might have got distracted by the overhead drone.
    I was actually wondering if decided to bung it on a bit for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i mean they got some nasty entrances in the united states, im talking big where the boats need three outboards to get back in . jupiter inlet florida and haul over inlet....
    What happens to all the single engine and twin engine boats, are they still out there? the number of engines has nothing to do with what happened there, and we here in Aus have some pretty "interesting" river/bar/inlet places as well that would equal any US ones I have seen in videos.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I guess that's why the americans refer to them as "bay boats"....

Too long,skinny and low sided to safely take offshore...
    Certainly not a bay boat, and more than capable of going offshore

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I did see a back story on facebook when this first surfaced saying that the hull had been taking on water. Can't comment on the accuracy of that post but it could explain the skipper not wanting to back off. A bit of free surface effect as he came over the top of one and the rest is history possibly.
    Yep, heard and read similar things, how true they are is anyone's guess, but, it appears the boat was taking on water (sinking) he had a couple of options, sink out in the ocean and hope to get picked up, or try to make it back to shore, now, let's say the hull is full of water, he slows when he hits the back of the wave, all the water rushes to the front, you now have what is a submarine, that's just a wild guess on my part too, but looks pretty feasible when you see the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    There is no waves on that bar in that video.
    That boat went down on a pressure wave inside the river, often the pressure waves can be more dangerous than a breaking swell on a bar.
    This is pretty much right, that situation is not like a big swell breaking, those waves are almost stationary, so, unless you want to just stand still, there is no other option than to drive over them (especially if you are sinking) but if the boat and motor were OK, you can just drive over/through/around standing waves, they kind of pop up, fade away, then pop up again, often quite quickly.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Would be good if we had a few coastal guys on here who run the gauntlet so we can get first hand knowledge on coastal bars...
    I grew up on the Camden Haven and crossed the bar their a lot in everything from tinnies with 15hp motors up to a 5.25m Milligan Nipper with a 75hp. Had my old Stessco Squire 385 with 18hp out through it too a few times.

Done Port Macquarie bar a few times, Ballina, Yamba, Wooli and Minnie Waters too all a couple of times.

Been through Caloundra bar a few times and Mooloolaba.

Couple of trips through Jumpin Pin and the Seaway

Beach launches at Waddy on Fraser are probably the most fun, but risky, due to the wave zone and 'surf bar'. I've seen some BIG boats in trouble due to misreading the water, gutter and swell.

Most recently in past 10 years Tweed, Kingscliff, Brunswick and Pottsville entrances have been my regulars.

While all are different, similarities exist too. Run out tide off the back of big flood tides is no time to cross in swell and wind from different directions. Hell, no time to cross at best, but way WAY ugly in cross wind swell affected approaches.

Every bar has a safest option. Sometimes it takes a good half n hour or more of watching to pick up the trends. Watching from headlands or walls is good, often better than trying to pick it from a boat in the mouth of the entrance.

A beach landing can be safer and easier than an ugly river bar entrance. Beaches don't have the same water flow impacts. Getting the boat from the gutter, onto sand then trailer and away can be tricky. I like to have a beach fall back I know if sneaking out from any bar. Might be a walk back to the car and trailer, but, at least home safely if ever needed.

I've turned around and not ventured out many times. I'd don't risk it. If in doubt don't go out is my motto.

This is old footage and the incident was discussed at large on THT.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ad-2010-a.html

That is a totally different boat.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    This is old footage and the incident was discussed at large on THT.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ad-2010-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    That is a totally different boat.
    I was pretty sure it was discussed in that thread but if not it certainly was on THT and went on and on. Overloaded leaking underpowered etc etc

why did he back of the throttle should have gunned it up the next one