Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don’t Ride The Waves

Don’t Ride The Waves

They do say don’t ride the incoming waves

https://www.facebook.com/18583437778...&v=e&sfns=xmwa

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Don’t Ride The Waves

I've seen that one before, kind of looks like a lot of weight in the front, or just bad luck how the boat gets picked up and driven down and under.

I would never in a million years drive over the front of a wave coming in.When it's like that (close to the bottom of the run out?) I sit for a while,pick the biggest lump and sit on the back of it all the way in till it breaks then use judicious feeds of power to get some bite in the soup.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Length of hull sure as hell didn't help either.

He is crossing a bar, The swell in a bar are close together he probably had no options if u notice closely he had a swell pushing him from behind

he was unfortunate that the waves were as close as the length of his boat, really nothing he could do unless he rode the front half of his boat over the ove the fron wave but than he'd sink the ass end

I guess that's why the americans refer to them as "bay boats"....

Too long,skinny and low sided to safely take offshore...

Would be good if we had a few coastal guys on here who run the gauntlet so we can get first hand knowledge on coastal bars i have only ever crossed one bar and i actually anchored right on it, the bloke in the tower was yelling stuff out over the loud speaker something about tide changing and big sharks that was at the NSW Swansea Bar had no clue what a bar even was

There is no waves on that bar in that video.
    That boat went down on a pressure wave inside the river, often the pressure waves can be more dangerous than a breaking swell on a bar.

Been over Narooma bar hundreds of times, Port Macquarie bar a dozen times and Shoalhaven Heads hundreds of times, not that Shoalhaven is all that tricky, and if you have some skills, and knowing what waves do, it's not that hard, don't believe you need hundreds of HP and be capable of 50 knots, knowing what to do beats speed any time.

Noel would u say that video is a bar crossing or river inlet? What would u have done differently to this poor guy

I did see a back story on facebook when this first surfaced saying that the hull had been taking on water. Can't comment on the accuracy of that post but it could explain the skipper not wanting to back off. A bit of free surface effect as he came over the top of one and the rest is history possibly.

combination of it being a low side bay boat, tide is ripping out and meeting a incoming swell that would appear bit bigger than the video shows, was he coming in too fast? possible and perhaps that type of boat doesnt react well to a bit of nose up trim. those conditons would push any boat around im sure, bit of bad luck there.

It actually looks like a Ponga Boat they are long sevral meters and narrow like something u would use on the GBR

i mean they got some nasty entrances in the united states, im talking big where the boats need three outboards to get back in . jupiter inlet florida and haul over inlet....

Check his track in,he doesn't take a look at all just straight in from open sea over an entire set at pace.If it didn't happen that day it was bound to happen him eventually.