Thread: Bait tank drain size for 500 and 750 GPH twin port pumps

Bait tank drain size for 500 and 750 GPH twin port pumps

Hi folks,
    I'm working through the shopping list for fitting out the new live bait tank and am wondering what outlet drain sizes people are running for what pumps? My old pump was a 750 GPH with a 50 mm drain outlet on the tank from memory. It drained very well and the pump never caught up with it.

The new bait tank is about 30 litres and I'm planning a twin port pump fed off a through hull pickup, auto fill while underway.

Thanks
    Craig

Re: Bait tank drain size for 500 and 750 GPH twin port pumps

For a forced pickup you will need a decent drain, and put some sort of mesh over it, because small live baits will just go out with the over flow, giving you quite a surprise when you get to you spot, open the tank lid and find no bait inside.

I had one 25mm outlet and it wasn't enough. Fortunately I had the option of a second outlet through a mistake I'd made previously so used it and now it's fine and I don't need any mesh.

Hey CT Bilge pumps as bait pumps usually pump to much water i often have 20 to 35 litre bait tanks i find even a small johnson or rule pumpm of about 450gph is to much as in to much water flow for 15cm yakka's also height also plays a part on pump head height the higher u go with a bait tank the less it will pump in volume

i usually run 1" thru hull skin fittings with a 19mm tap on the pump to slow down the volume the last thing u want is to be pumping a lot of water thru a tank it'll only bring the bait to the surface and make them swim harder might be ok if u pick up a batch of slimies but anything else yakka's or squid you'll work them hard

for me a flow of about 2 litres per minute is perfect for continuous running pump in a 35 litre tank with 15 yakka's thats about 120 litres per hour or 1 water change over 20mins is plenty some times i shut the pump off after a water change and they are good for 1 hour it keeps them lively and active