Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right of way

Right of way

Just got back from a South Pacific cruise last week, and thought I would relate to what could have been "interesting" we left Circular Quay at 4PM, and I was right up the front having a look at the Sydney sights, over to my right was a sailboat around 35-40 feet long, cutting across our bow at about 50 metres out, now, this boat was under sail, and had right of way, and bugger me, was determined to take it, I'm pretty sure the yacht could not be seen from the bridge of the cruise ship, (no blasting of horn or any other signal) anyway, I can see people yelling and waving their arms at the ship, about a minute (or less) before disaster, the yacht veered away, still shaking their fists at "us" I just can't see the sense if trying to take right of way over a huge ship, that probably can't see you, and would just go straight over the top the smaller boat anyway, some people are just crazy!

Re: Right of way

The seagoing ship inside the harbour is restricted in it's ability to manoeuvre and has right of way over everything else apart from another ship unable to respond.

yacht needs to leave 500m when crossing in front, on starboard tack or not.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...s-brochure.pdf
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Not sure about Sydney Harbour though, it's not exactly small, I do know that law, but, regardless, this guy (and his boat and friends) were near toast.

I just reread my first post, it does sound like I was inferring the yacht had full right of way, maybe I should have said something like "assumed right of way"?

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    The seagoing ship inside the harbour is restricted in it's ability to manoeuvre and has right of way over everything else apart from another ship unable to respond.

yacht needs to leave 500m when crossing in front, on starboard tack or not.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...s-brochure.pdf

I see it written under the picture on that brochure, but can't seem to see it in the Regulations.

I looked it up, because I did not know of that specific rule.

Regulations are here: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#...n/1987/01/full
    Last edited by Ah Me Ting; 16-05-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Fat Fingers Typo
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I just reread my first post, it does sound like I was inferring the yacht had full right of way, maybe I should have said something like "assumed right of way"?

I suspect the yacht skipper was unaware of the laws. Yacht Skipper may have assumed right of way, but in fact did not have it.

Skipper, or most likely Pilot, of the Cruise Ship must have been shaking his head. Bet they see it all the time. It'd be frustrating for them.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

I should probably correct my first post to - 'restricted by draught' , but similar outcome so long as they show the lights/shapes which nobody knows anyway.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

i could not think of anyone more pretentious and self entitled then a yachty in sydney harbour

maybe a cyclist going through the national park or mosman on a weekend

Might is Right.
    Tug
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

While I was on the cruise I did a bit of a snoop around a big Fish Market in Noumea, they had hundreds of Mud Crabs for 3,800 Francs per KG, which is just over $50 Aus, and piles of huge Mullet, Spangled Emperor and Long Toms for sale, no cooked prawns at all, but lots of really big green prawns for about $30 Aus, I asked about cooked prawns, but my French is not too flash, and the rude French speaking locals didn't want to talk much because I wasn't buying, but, I think he was saying they cant sell cooked Prawns there, only food type shops like a chip shop can sell them, Noumea is not a great spot to visit, anyone who has been there might disagree, but I doubt it, my mate paid a fortune to go diving on some "secret" reef with about a dozen other dive boats, but he said the water was dirty, but there was lots of fish, including a huge GT that scared the shit out of him.

Skipper in the small boat would have been a yuppie from Sydney probably a North Shore resident any anything he does is always right lol

it gets a bit hectic on Sydney Harbour thats why i avoid going into the main harbour i only go into middle harbour its absolute ....... chaos boats flying every which way fairy's hammering past small boats it ridiculous or it was when i last when there huge chop under the bridge

No brains at all that yacht skipper - I mean, what did he expect a massive cruise ship to do? Pull up and let him pass? Alter course to miss him? 2kms later .....

Some people have no idea at all.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Sorry, but I'll get on my soapbox for this one. THERE IS NO RIGHT OF WAY in the ColRegs, or in the Navigation (Collision) Regulations 1983 (NSW) for that matter. Shame on you, Noelm, tsk tsk.

The more the phrase is used, and misused at that, the more silly buggers in 40 footers seem to think they have some RIGHT.

Stand on vessel.......

Stand on vessel.......
    Thank you. Which actually still imposes obligations, rather than rights., i.e. hold your course and speed, and be prepared to take evasive action to avoid a collision, especially if a fkn cruise ship is bearing down on you.