Thread: Twin hull transducer location

Twin hull transducer location

Hello brains trust.

My problem is that while I’ve never been happy with the picture quality available on my sounder on the 5.2 cat things have got worse. After upgrading to a Hook2 with a total scan/triple shot transducer the picture has gone from poor to unreadable at anything more than a crawl.
    the new transducer is mounted in the same location as the one pictured but as it is larger and mounted close to the motor, near the edge of a very skinny hull that drops away steeply, things aren’t going well.
    What is the best road to go down to secure a clear picture for this hull type?
    I have played at moving the mounting higher and lower but it’s had little noticeable effect so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Twin hull transducer location

thats tough, first thing is it may be too close to motor but you say hardly any picture so perhaps its picking up noise from other cables , does the picture clear up if you switch of the vhf ? perhaps these new bits of kit need some sort of sheild protection from noise. id be checking cables first and connections as your picture of your transducer doesnt really set off any red flags.

I did think about interference but ruled it out as it’s not effected by any other electronics being on/off.
    the picture at rest is crystal clear but it quickly falls apart at any speed over 4/5 knots so I’m fairly sure it’s an aeration issue.
    Im at a loss at how to clear things up with out dropping big money on a through hull transducer, not many options for a plate bait apparently :/

okay could be dirty water flow over. you say you've lowered it and raised it , have you tilted it so its just off level with the end dipping in the water more so. Also in your settings could there be a possibility that its not configured with that tranducer, on my garmin there is a few choices.

I haven’t tried changing the angle in its current position, I’ll give it a go. As far as I can tell the transducer and sounder are set up together. I’ll try moving it a little further from the motor and have a go at different angles. Cheers

the angle can really make a different picture, been playing with mine and one click up or down is all it takes.

Hi airlock, have you been adjusting the gain as you change speed ?
    I’m always adjusting gain for the best picture depending on speed.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Hi airlock, have you been adjusting the gain as you change speed ?
    I’m always adjusting gain for the best picture depending on speed.

i largely leave it in auto at the moment while o try to get on top of placement for a clean water run overt the tans. I found fine tuning with the previous sounder and smaller tranducer worked pretty well up to a point, but the larger transducer is suffering too much from bad water flow to render sensitivity/gain changes much use.

Might be a silly question but how the total scan ducer mounted and what is it’s orientation- is the wire end pointing bow or stern ?

Is it transom mounted like in your 1st post image ? Because the totalscan I’m thinking of is longer and flatter than that one in the picture. It looks like the HSTWBL style skimmer ducer in the image.

Is the bracket for the totalscan the long skinny steel bracket or the short black plastic hinge type bracket ?
    If you’ve tried adjusting height to no avail maybe the cable or the bracket is creating turbulence ?
    If the cable is up water bow end - in the way it’s mounted, if you know what I mean.

Meaningful pictures of your current setup would get you some better replies.
    Side shots, rear shots and rear from a distance all taken from a level the same as the keel.
    This sort of thing.

That looks like a standard transducer and it also looks like it is tilted towards the keel.
    You need to get better pictures and use a straight edge exactly like Fed has posted with the picture.

Thanks for the suggestion and input.
    I’ve played around with the set up since posting, contacted the builder of the boat and the local marine mechanic, electronic people and despised the transom mount isn’t going to deliver what I want .
    So my next question is going to be all about through hull transducer selection

The long transducers like totalscan have to be mounted so that the face (eg the underneath surface) is just a few mm below the line of the hull. It really needs to be just skimming the surface.

Most people make a common and big mistake with these long transducers by putting them too deep. Because they so long, all this does is create a massive turbulence bubble underneath them that destroys the image.

I have answered your other thread about thru-hulls, but really, you should be ale to get that Totalscan set up so it reads well at most speeds.

I have attached a photo that shows how a Totalscan is set up properly and works perfectly up to 60km/hr
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....