Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hull extension..HH 565L

Re: Hull extension..HH 565L

Ok ...just to thank those who have responded....there is a lot there to think about....Danf...yes the 206kg is the problem..have tabs etc but they are not the full answer..Transom is very strong...stringers were checked when the floor was done and they were ok....Giddyup..all I can say is when you want a holiday in Vic..with strings attached..love your work!....Gazza..yes we are not professionals...and thats why I think these sites are great....I cant think we could have a finish like a pro..but we can always try..

Thought it might be simpler to put on an ETEC..but these are only 16kgs less than the 4 stroke...and conventional 2 strokes will be unsupported soon

Ok .1.so on the basis of the current ally extension and other research..the extension is less than 600mm but across the hull provides the extra support for the motor.
    2. the extension should follow the hull lines both bottom, side and plank.
    3.The extension should become an integral part of the hull with stringers joined inside the original hull..bolting an extension is poor practice.
    4.chines need to follow hull lines.*****problem...

Is this a fair summary?

Im no professional fibreglasser but i can see if u want to glass a pod on without bolts u may as well go the full hog and remove your transom, extend the stringers the full length, extend your sides and bottom off hull huge job and u need to be technical on the lines as to follow the hull under the bottom huge job if u can glass like giddy you'll be extremely happy with the full hull extension

If transom n stringers are good then you will just need to remove part of your floor. Run stringers for pod up beside your existing stringers. No need to remove transom just cut out enough to put the new stringers through and glass them in beside and joined to the existing stringers. Then glass them into the new pod and existing transom.. Really not hard, just time consuming.

Cox 76y...thanks...this was one of the queries I had....generally people say scarf the join in the stringers but is that necessary if you can run the extension stringer alongside the existing one ..

Gazza..that sounds heroic to me!My thinking is to limit the damage to the original hull in the following way...using a combination of melamine board for the straight flat sections and aluminium backed sheet for the curved sections screwed into the hull....build formwork for the extension...so it can be trued ...in situ.. strengthen it ...remove the formwork from the hull and build the pod/extension off the hull..fitting it and running the stringers through glassing it in.The main point being if it really turns into nightmare on elm street ..until I have an extension suitable to fit..there is very little damage to the original hull.....

Why do you want/need a full width pod/extension? seems like a lot of messing around when a ready made pod could be just bolted on.

im glad he put the longer thru bolts in , still 8 bolts is over kill to hold the backing board and the side boards trying to hang on yikes. still the design work and proof was there , it floated and went . looked like an old seahorse or evinrude.

I was actually thinking if u were to remove your transom u could incorperate a walk thru transom stringers would ideally be strait thru to the end of pod it would be one longer boat rather than stitch a pod onto the exsisting hull

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    im glad he put the longer thru bolts in , still 8 bolts is over kill to hold the backing board and the side boards trying to hang on yikes. still the design work and proof was there , it floated and went . looked like an old seahorse or evinrude.

your right, Johnson seahorse, looks to be a 1975ish model. good to see a few of the old girls still out there running hard!