Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull extension..HH 565L

Hull extension..HH 565L

Hi Guys

put a 150hp Merc on a 565L to replace a 485 mercruiser some years ago.....and its ok at speed but bogs down at lower speeds and the 580 Haines aluminum pod is not right....I have been trying to figure out how to put a full hull extension on to an old hull ...and I have a free week in July...I have done some repairs in fibreglass for a pro company but I am not skilled....ie the schedule for glassing......at this stage more interested in developing a plan on how to do this....so comments, suggestions please. I have some ideas as well ...but before I start I want a plan that takes me through to completion!

Re: Hull extension..HH 565L

put a 200 hp on it . l love the look of these boats, so slippery when they go but a full pod is not only a nightmare in thinking but a disaster in finishing, and when you have finished it , there will be no improvement because simply its underpowered. have you tried a permatrim, fourblade prop for lift.

Did you ever see this?

Ausfish Silver Member

Try transom wedges 1st. Tuck the leg under more and give much better control at low speed.

Inveratta i knew pretty much nothing about fibreglassing i had previously taking on one tiny 5c piece hole in the hull with polyester and chopped mat than the second job i skinned a hull with epoxy resin now i have taking on a whole rebuild project, Their is a lot of advice out there, lots of reading and lots of video watching i subscribed to paid subscriptions on VIMEO on boat rebuilding but it was technical jargon i didn't really understand because the videos were American they work on ounces of cloth per square foot us Aussies go by square meter of cloth weight in grams,so when the Americans say "We are putting 200 onces of cloth on this section" it confuses the f.... out of a newby so u need to distinguish what is irrelevant to you and your methods that u chose to go by, they also go by onces of resin we go by mls

My transom is done now but if i was just starting i would have extended my stringers strait out thru the transom in one continuous long piece and built a pod pretty sure guys mentioned this in my thread but i dismissed it because i never actually thought i would have the ability to extend the hull in such way but now with a lot of reading and research it seems easy

You know the hardest part of boat building was rolling out around 40 square meters of cloth in the middle of summer with resin using a 100mm roller LOL

If u plan on using epoxy resin Giddy has some really good knowledge and tips

I watched my mate, a shipright do an extension on a 565 a little while ago.. Are you replacing the stringers as well?

This is probably the best pod build on youtube

okay certainly a lot of work in that 3500 hrs in 3.5 minutes i reckon, certainly got to know your craft in attempting that. tis is a job for a patient man.

I still cannot get my head around how guys can glass a pod onto the exterior transom skin and rely on the reson bond to hull plus the laminate its crazy i see it like it can just delaminate and outboard falls off but these guys really know their stuff

For me its either a completely seprate pod bolted on or u glass one using thru hull continous stringers

I bought a brand new 565C HH with a 175 Mercury back in the early 80's. I did fit a timber wedge between the motor and transom a couple of years later. This did help to keep the boat up on the plane at low speeds, when conditions were sloppy. I also fitted a set of trim tabs which trimmed the boat level when it wanted to heel over in cross winds and also helped keep the nose down..
    I fitted a 200 HP mercury some years later. Both these motors weighed around 160 kg compared to 4 strokes which are probably 40 kgs heavier. This extra weight must affect the ride. I would make sure that the transom is solid, no dry rot, before any extensions are done. The idea of glassing a pod onto the outside of the transom which is timber with a glass skin which is not very thick would worry me, but I am no expert.

I'd rather make a splashwell than a pod, never been a fan of pods.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    okay certainly a lot of work in that 3500 hrs in 3.5 minutes i reckon, certainly got to know your craft in attempting that. tis is a job for a patient man.
    100% agree.

Hats off thumbs up to those who have the ability and patience to DIY something like this.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I still cannot get my head around how guys can glass a pod onto the exterior transom skin and rely on the reson bond to hull plus the laminate its crazy i see it like it can just delaminate and outboard falls off but these guys really know their stuff

For me its either a completely seprate pod bolted on or u glass one using thru hull continous stringers
    Thought I was the only one looking at it and thinking the same. Surely they bolted it as well, but just missed that detail in the vid?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    Thought I was the only one looking at it and thinking the same. Surely they bolted it as well, but just missed that detail in the vid?
    Pretty amazing how it only takes knowledge and experience to "Glue" a pod to a transom in such way, These guys look clued on to how to do it

I'm noticing Aussies are pioneering the DIY boat mods especially fibreglass pods, When u look thru the videos on youtube all the American's chose to go with Arm Strong Pods made from aluminium, Some awesome videos done by Aussies on Youtube for boat rebuilding

Here is another Aussie build pod if he went with cloth instead of chopped mat he could do without the rods and that pod would be super strong