Thread: Moreton Bay bags out again

Moreton Bay bags out again

The tings are firing in the southern bay - if you know where they are and how to catch them.

Mate and I bagged out on good quality divers this morning. Launched at Cleveland at about 7:30am and lines were down by 7:50am.

First few drifts were a bit slow, until we figured out they were in water between 2-3m deep. We then had a steady stream of fish come on board, including one epic drift where we put about 50 in the bucket.

Dropper rigs and squid strips did the damage. A guy fishing near us using squid on standard running sinker rig struggled to get 25 in the same time we each bagged out.

Finished up the bags by 11am.

Hour and a quarter of filleting later .......

Looks like windy days ahead so who knows where they will be when it calms down.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: Moreton Bay bags out again

What do you describe as a "Dropper Rig'.?? Please.

Haji-Baba

A mini version of a snapper dropper rig... sometimes called a bottom bashing rig.

A small sinker at the bottom. On a loop or with a swivel below it to stop it falling off.

A few inches above that, a dropper knot is tied, one side cut so the loop is now a single line about 100-150mm long, hook on the end.

About 40-50cm above that, another dropper knot done the same.

So its a 2 hook rig with the sinker on the bottom.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks, I will try your rig next outing.

Thanks Moonlighter, was fairly sure that was what you ment. Tried it a few times before but to prevent tangles I only use one hook and a fairly heavy trace to the sinker easier to untangle in the event.

Been a few good winteries around Bribie lately. Deeper water seems to produce best. 16-- 18 feet.

Have fun Haji-Baba