Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Im going to buy a new tinny, i am hoping some owners can help, i would like about 4.6 side console 6o or 70 4 stroke and please any advice even as to buy painted or not reason for the that option cheers Glynn.

Re: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for, crabbing and so on, unpainted for me, but line fishing, a painted one is fine, and looks much better, hull choice is difficult, for a budget, I would go Telwater, for extra strength and more custom (and dollars) one of the smaller plate boats are great, motors are all pretty much on par, I have Suzuki and Yamaha right now, and none of them have given drama, my mate has the same tinny as me with the same HP Honda and his is slightly more "torquey" getting on to the plane with similar loads.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

As an owner of a Quintrex Renegade I'd recommend you put one of them on your list to check out. The 'blade hull' (millenium hull) is well worth the hype. Don't be fooled, the Stacer 'evo hull' is not the same, not even close.

Yes, painted looks better, but long term shows the bumps n bruises more. Good ole unpainted can be washed down and buffed up to hide a lot of sins. Plus, no risk of paint peeling around welds, fittings etc.

As with all boats, go maximum HP allowed. I'd drop back from a 4 stroke to a fuel injected motor for the torque advantage, weight advantage and price advantage if budget is a issue in getting to max HP.

With your motor research, look at total cost of ownership... Fuel use, oil cost, servicing costs and resale value over say a 5 year and 10 year period. You might get a surprise when all the facts are aligned in a summary.

Not too sure about your "fuel injected" bit, you would be pretty hard pressed to find a motor in that HP that is not fuel injected, can't really say that the Quintrex blade design is much better than the others, and I have been in both hundreds of times, but, it's not bad either.

Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

If you have a bigger budget then have a look at one of these and custom made to owners requirements to a degree , I loved my bluefin and after the 14 yrs ownership this is what I am going to replace it with ,something about 5 mtr
    https://www.formosamarineboats.com.au/
    I am going to buy the sea rod in a side console again . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Blog Entries

G,day mate im not sure what size maybe 4.6 with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha what do you think ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    As an owner of a Quintrex Renegade I'd recommend you put one of them on your list to check out. The 'blade hull' (millenium hull) is well worth the hype. Don't be fooled, the Stacer 'evo hull' is not the same, not even close.

Yes, painted looks better, but long term shows the bumps n bruises more. Good ole unpainted can be washed down and buffed up to hide a lot of sins. Plus, no risk of paint peeling around welds, fittings etc.

As with all boats, go maximum HP allowed. I'd drop back from a 4 stroke to a fuel injected motor for the torque advantage, weight advantage and price advantage if budget is a issue in getting to max HP.

With your motor research, look at total cost of ownership... Fuel use, oil cost, servicing costs and resale value over say a 5 year and 10 year period. You might get a surprise when all the facts are aligned in a summary.
    I like the Quintrex the 4.6 with a 60 4 stroke yamaha is one of the setups i have seen whats your thoughts?

My quintrex (395 Explorer Trophy) nearly sank on it's first outing at Hinze,only just made it back to the ramp,the result of bodgie welds along the keel.Next to go was the flooring/decks,after three months the flooring was warping and the front casting deck either side of the hatch had a gap under it that could easily fit my finger up to the second knuckle.This took an eternity to sort out under warranty and when I got the job done I noticed two different shades of grey and the floor not done.It appeared that Quintrex washed their hands of it and the dealer had done it off his own bat to shut me up.Quintrex would not even supply him their carpet,hence the two tone grey through out a relatively new boat.Also note that if you want extra seats/casting rests BLA type products are not compatible with Quintrex mounts......Pity because they are a lot more affordable.Just my experience with the brand,I'm sure for every story like mine there will be a hundred that are favourable.

Don't think you are Robinson Crusoe there banshee....

There are many Quintrex horror stories out there from cracked welds like yours, paint issues and trailer/wiring problems as well....the sad thing is that most of the ones that I have heard that have experienced problems have been treated like dirt from the dealer/Telwater.....

oh and steer clear of Telwater glass boats as well...at least you can keep rewelding all the cracks and broken/missing welds in alloy....

http://www.marinebusiness.com.au/new...breglass-boats

Blog Entries

Had a look impressive to got to look to.

Very happy with my Clark Dominator.

i have a 420 renegade with a 50hp yamaha four stroke this engine is the capacity as a 60hp 996cc
    if your going to a larger boat you would want bigger then the 60 , so minimum 70 hp on a 420 renegade

bang for buck a side console renegade is good value and has all the bells and whistles and would be a good alround boat for rivers bays and limted offshore stuff
    getting shit service from telwater and a dealer at the same time just means you havnt done you research on who the shit dealers are.
    quintrex package these to a price so the led lights are cheap no brand tyres are shit but its only a few hundred dollar fix
    a lot of the boats busting are people thinking they are driving something 20 foot longer and abusing the boats

for resale yamaha all the way

I have found with most things, warranty is usually a dealer issue, not the manufacturer, very few legitimate warranty claims would be denied by almost any manufacturer of any product.

I can't complain at all about my 420 renegade side console with 50 yammy 4 stroke, apart from ventilating when cornering sharply like most boats. But a bit of trim takes care of that. Very stable at rest, and travels reasonably flat with my lump of a brother sitting beside me. (I'm not a big bloke) No issues with 1 up. Had no issues for last 4 years other than trailer lights on the ally trailer.
    Of course my aussie built trailcraft 5.1 side console with 90 suzi walks all over it, but that's to be expected.
    Painted or unpainted? Depends on how you (and your deckies) treat your boat. Unpainted for a workhorse or to save a few $$. You'll always get chips and spidery corrosion with paint. It's pretty subjective but painted for me. Looks good for resale even with a few scars. I doubt I'll be selling mine. Fits the bill nicely. But the 4.6 really looks the goods. Whatever you get, I recommend an underfloor fuel tank.

Good hunting
    Cheers

Aussie built Trailcraft?