Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Re: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Yep correct, the Telwater range is huge, from the simplest open boats, right up to the Hornets and "plate" range and everything in between, sure they don't have a stellar name, and to be honest, lots buy them based on the brand their dad owned 30 years ago which bares little resemblance to what's offered now, but, value for money, Australian built (so far) they are hard to beat.

Its why I’ve had two renegades. Bit of comfort resale and relatively cheap

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Going to look at the boat show this week Sanctuary Cove i might get a bargain. cheers
    G R Hilly .

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep correct, the Telwater range is huge, from the simplest open boats, right up to the Hornets and "plate" range and everything in between, sure they don't have a stellar name, and to be honest, lots buy them based on the brand their dad owned 30 years ago which bares little resemblance to what's offered now, but, value for money, Australian built (so far) they are hard to beat.
    The trouble with Telwater boats is that it is all skin deep ...... they are lightly built with minimal engineering and welding put together by assembly workers. I have owned two Quintrex boats bought from new and both required welding for split hulls within a few years.
    They are the hilux of Australian boating ..... living off past reputations , desirable with excellent resale value ...... for no good reason 😐.

IMHO

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

They are also cheaper by 5-10 k you get what you pay for

Most splits are from guys who drive them like they have paid the extra for a plate hull

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    They are also cheaper by 5-10 k you get what you pay for

Most splits are from guys who drive them like they have paid the extra for a plate hull
    Probably …. right - in part ……. I wouldn't expect a Hornet which was confined to rivers & dams to split.

nor would I expects a 5.35CC to crack at the bow at around the waterline ( in the first 3 years) - that should be one of the strongest points that would cop the least stress …… I would have thought.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The trouble with Telwater boats is that it is all skin deep ...... they are lightly built with minimal engineering and welding put together by assembly workers. I have owned two Quintrex boats bought from new and both required welding for split hulls within a few years.
    They are the hilux of Australian boating ..... living off past reputations , desirable with excellent resale value ...... for no good reason .

IMHO

Chris
    Do you think that applies to their plate boats like the Yellowfin? Some would say pressed tinnies are all relatively lightly built for offshore or very choppy inshore waters.

PS: Maybe you should have got a Polycraft?

All depends how much use or abuse in that three years

Three years to you might be 10 years of use to me Etc

Light weight aluminium boats have their limitations and tbh most are more form over function

Never seen a smaller builder plate boat fall apart in my short boating life

It happens. There was a builder making "Bulldog" plate boats in Brisbane at one stage. Hired a new bloke who overheated some welds. Boat was buggered within a month. There was also a thread about an Origin either here or on Facebook that had a cracked water ballast requiring the floor to be cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    All depends how much use or abuse in that three years

Three years to you might be 10 years of use to me Etc

Light weight aluminium boats have their limitations and tbh most are more form over function

Never seen a smaller builder plate boat fall apart in my short boating life
    I know Jack about boat building & aluminium welding but I can see the difference in the welds between the Quintrex & when I got my Seajay - the fully welded vs spot welded or the additional stringers used. The Seajay did a lot more work & yet not a sign of a crack or broken seat post mount ( a Quinny specialty)

Don't get me wrong ….. I'm not exactly knocking Telwater (Quintrex) - they have their place in the market & sell a hell of a lot of boats but what I will say is they would never be considered a hard core fishing boat & there are other manufacturers out there that do a significantly better job. That said I really cant comment on their Yellowfin boats

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The Yellowfin, Stacer Ocean Ranger, and whatever the Savage is called kind of fit between the pressed lightweight tinny, and the full custom plate boat, I know a few owners and none of them have had complaints, not too sure what happened to the Archer that was Telwater built, I think the Ocean Ranger took its place? There is one a few doors from me, it would be maybe 5 years old, and I have never seen it out of the yard.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    Going to look at the boat show this week Sanctuary Cove i might get a bargain. cheers
    G R Hilly .
    And?

What'd ya buy?

Or

Ogle.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    They are the hilux of Australian boating ..... living off past reputations , desirable with excellent resale value ...... for no good reason 😐.

IMHO

Chris
    For every 'bad' story, there's probably a hundred good, in all brands, manufacturers.

I've been in quite a few 'light aluminium' boats offshore, including early days Quintrex and more recent (past 10yrs) hulls.

One in particular, a 5m spirit, circa 2001 model, that's seen some heavy use and been in rough seas, beach launches, waves on n over the snout. It's rock solid still, despite it's owners maintenance neglect.

Whether cars, boats, computers, washing machines, air conditioners, whatever ... There is always a 'friday build' with manufacturing defects and an unhappy consumer.

My current, new, Quintrex Renegade build quality is as expected. No complaints, faults. I've had the floor out and inspected every weld too.

Mate I have been more than impressed with my Quintrex renegade 420 TS. I have a 50hp Evinrude ETEC on the back. The other day I did close to 100km and used 27L fuel. The majority of my fishing is done offshore (obviously fish to conditions) and I am always impressed with the stability it provides. Even when we end up on one side of boat landing fish it hardly tilts at all.

In saying that Ive only had it 6 months so touch wood hopefully the welds have no issues like previous posters have stated. I can only judge on what I have experienced and I love it. Of course if I had more cash I would have got a bigger model stabicraft but thats just me.

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's all over,yes i walked the plank, ordered the boat and set up i did for several reasons opt out for a Quintrex 460 sc Renegade, powerered by a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, i also ordered all the extras you want on a boat for fishing about 4 weeks i have been told for the build but guys thank you all for your comments and thoughts,it has helped me decide even on motor size i was tossing up in the end between susi and yamaha and the dealer won out with the package price thanks again GR Hilly.