Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Re: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    100% correct, you can order a Telwater boat unpainted, or painted inside or outside only, two tone or single colour, they will do some custom work too if it's not too way out!
    Even if it is the premium model in the range?Anyways it's ancient history for me,I still have the boat and will probably keep it forever.Quality wise I can only compare it to two Mayfairs (sp) built Sea Hunters I have previously owned and the Quiny is not in the same league.

And what’s a Mayfair sea hunter worth ?

I’d say the dealer you went to was the oh offering you what he had in order

Quintrex builds to a order schedule and if you want a boat not already ordered then the wait is obviously longer. In my case twelve weeks

I’d say your dealer was full of shit and unfairly branding quintrex at fault

Yep, they build boats in kind of batches, most dealers have a kind of continual order of popular models, relying on previous sales as a gauge as to what sells, I live very close to all three (4 if you count Yellowfin) dealers, Savage, Stacer and Quintrex are all within at most 10 minute drive, and have the choice of all motors on them, so I am pretty lucky, 2 dealers I know very well and know how it all operates, something special needs to be ordered, so any colour combination and custom features can be ordered at that time, and they just process your order as it comes up in their build schedule, make no mistake, they are mass produced, and sometimes things are not as they should be, but, your dealer should sort it out for you pretty quick, it's no different to buying a car, now and then "shit happens"

I don't think they've made a Mayfair tinnie for over twenty years,could be wrong though.

GS Marine and Hammerhead boats make nice tinnys that would take 70hp donk.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    There are some shocker stories about suzuki head problems at about 200 hour service....$6k to replace.
    Known the alloy is too soft for the heads apparently.
    Friends with 60's and 90's are never buying zukes again.
    Your friends must be very unlucky mate, I’ve experienced nothing but great reliability from my 140HP Zuk, 3Years, 600 odd hours now.
    2 mates with 70 and 90 also trouble free.
    I have owned a Yammy 2st and it was a great trouble free motor for me but in the current 4st 70HP range I would choose the Suzuki...

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been offered a deel with a 70 suzuki on a 460 renegade atad more expensive than the 60 yamaha, now i got a 70 yamaha offered at the same price same boat, a diferent colour paint job what motor is best, the suzuki has a better wrnty ?

I have both brands and would happily have both again, maybe go for the added warranty? The 70 Yamaha is lighter I think, might be something to check out.

Well this is where I would be putting my money - 460-velocity-sports-side-console_38947295770_o.jpg Seajay 460 Velocity.

Not only are Seajay extremely well made ( I can attest to that) - it's a bloody good looking boat too.

If you were to compare this 460 to a 481 Quintrex top ender - you have a beamier boat @ 2.3m Vs 2.1m - Deeper cockpit 1.24m vs 1.12 ……. but more importantly much more internal room because of those massively wide gunnels on the top ender.

I mention the Quintrex Top ender because it would be the best riding & probably driest side console boat out there ……. but Quintrex build quality can be pretty awful
    Seajay not only do an excellent build but they will offer a level of customisation that is outstanding . ( I was able to add a cross deck rod locker which extended the front cast deck on my 5.0m Barramasta. I was also able to move the console & drivers seat mount forward allowing more room to fish at the rear . A lot of boat builders wont do this kind of stuff .

As for motor - A 70 yammi is a thing of beauty … It's light weight & quite torquey . I had one originally on my 5m Barramasta which ultimately was underpowered once I added all of my gear , electric motor 4 batteries ……. but on a 460 or 480 it will be a good match.

I'm not feeling the love from my Suzuki 140 - it's not bad but not a smooth (can be clunky) compared to any of the 3 yammi 4 bangers (60,70 & 100) that I've owned .

Painted or unpainted ….. Painted boats all suffer from some level of corrosion / bubbling around fittings - ugly and demands attention. On the other hand - I've got a unpainted Barcrusher that is an absolute pain in the ass to keep looking good - despite using salt away etc it shows water marks , salt marks etc meaning that you have to do a much more thorough wash - and buffing than you would with a painted hull .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    Im going to buy a new tinny ...
    And.

What did you decide?

What did you buy?

It's been over week.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mate i am going nuts, i had a Quintrex 460 Renegade sorted powered by a 70 Suzuki, iwasnt wrapped on the colour white whith black sides however i had the feeling that they could bust on price, $33,990 was fhe asking price i also told him i wanted a Minn Cota i~pilot fitted to,he quoted me $3,890 for that so whilst he was working out details i worked out what i wanted to pay for the fig, my offer was $35,000 he said 36,500 and i then told him my price, he said he would get back to me in 1 hour, well from 9am i waited as time went buy i was getting humpy but i now by3pm was not going to pay 1 cent more, 430 the phone rang he said he was sorry but the best price his boss would let him do was $35,250 and i said no bloody fool me, so still hunting ill post when im successful. cheers G R
    Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Even if it is the premium model in the range?Anyways it's ancient history for me,I still have the boat and will probably keep it forever.Quality wise I can only compare it to two Mayfairs (sp) built Sea Hunters I have previously owned and the Quiny is not in the same league.
    the renegades arnt the premium models the top enders and hornet trophys are
    the renegades are the budget versions

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    Mate i am going nuts ...
    Hahaha...

Awesome!

Wheelin' n dealin' while wanting. Ah, the joys of buying fun things.

Keep us posted.

$250 and you walked away ?

its new i assume you can have any colour you want if you willing to wait for it to be built

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    the renegades arnt the premium models the top enders and hornet trophys are
    the renegades are the budget versions
    They are not the Botton of the range, the open, no floor, no gunnels, no storage are the budget bottom end, can't remember what they are called, maybe the Dory? Stacer has the Rampage and a couple of others.