Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Re: Which tinny to buy new and 4 stroke.

Id go a Suzuki 70 over the yammy if not too large, no replacement for displacement eh.

On paint vs non paint, definately depends on how your going to treat/use the boat.

White painted gunwales are nice, bare alloy seems to get very hot in the sun!

For the sides vinyl wraps can look good these days, not sure if they promote corrosion in salt though.

There are some shocker stories about suzuki head problems at about 200 hour service....$6k to replace.
    Known the alloy is too soft for the heads apparently.
    Friends with 60's and 90's are never buying zukes again.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    There are some shocker stories about suzuki head problems at about 200 hour service....$6k to replace.
    Known the alloy is too soft for the heads apparently.
    Friends with 60's and 90's are never buying zukes again.
    Care to elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Aussie built Trailcraft?
    Yeah. They were originally made in WA. Solid piece of kit (pressed plate alloy) but apparently around 2010/11? rising costs forced them offshore (china?). Quality was then rumoured to have taken a hit. Or so I was told.
    Don't even know if they're still in business.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I can't complain at all about my 420 renegade side console with 50 yammy 4 stroke, apart from ventilating when cornering sharply like most boats. But a bit of trim takes care of that. Very stable at rest, and travels reasonably flat with my lump of a brother sitting beside me. (I'm not a big bloke) No issues with 1 up. Had no issues for last 4 years other than trailer lights on the ally trailer.
    Of course my aussie built trailcraft 5.1 side console with 90 suzi walks all over it, but that's to be expected.
    Painted or unpainted? Depends on how you (and your deckies) treat your boat. Unpainted for a workhorse or to save a few $$. You'll always get chips and spidery corrosion with paint. It's pretty subjective but painted for me. Looks good for resale even with a few scars. I doubt I'll be selling mine. Fits the bill nicely. But the 4.6 really looks the goods. Whatever you get, I recommend an underfloor fuel tank.

Good hunting
    Cheers
    Funny I had both a 5m Trailcraft CC (WA built) and a 440 Renegade and sure the Trailcraft was built heavier and was probably more seaworthy but for it's size I thought the Quintrex rode better.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Not too sure about your "fuel injected" bit, you would be pretty hard pressed to find a motor in that HP that is not fuel injected ...
    Oops ...

Perhaps? I meant, ah, oil injected ... but yeah, um, maybe my brain and fingers were not synchronized fully?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    I like the Quintrex the 4.6 with a 60 4 stroke yamaha is one of the setups i have seen whats your thoughts?
    A couple of thoughts / considerations...

From Quintrex website, the 460 Renegade is rated up to 75Hp, and if your budget allows, I would go max Hp. You may not use it a WOT all the time, but, having that extra bit of 'oomph', yes, technical term I know, but, well, you get the idea. Getting up and out of the water, hole shot, is key and if crossing bars and needing to move quick to dodge waves, well, I'd rather the extra.

As I suggested in my earlier post, if budget doesn't stretch to a 4 stroke, maybe consider an injected (oil injected) option. In that variant, I would suggest you consider all options including the Mercury and Tohatsu motors.

Now, again if budget is an issue to work around, you CAN but the hull separate from the trailer and the motor. Yes, handling and fitting a 75Hp might be a PITA, but, talk to some of the dealers with motors for sale, like the Tohatsu guys who do not sell Renegades. You will be surprised at some of the prices floating around.

I did just that, and bought the hull separate to the motor, because none of the Quintrex dealers could get close to the price I could get a motor. And, well, they all want to sell boats, so a hull sale is better than nothing. Shop around and you can keep $$$ in YOUR pocket. Mind you, I was chasing a pre mix 2 stroke motor, but, I know I saw some very good prices for injected motors too.

Oh, and yeah as someone noted in a post above, in that size boat and motor package, I'd also suggest looking at an under floor fuel tank.

put ya hard earned down on that sea rod centre cabin. looks like formosa has been cracking along with some various and nice designs.

I had a quintrex with a 60 yammie 4 stroke for many years and loved it. For me, painted all the way as unpainted gets too hot in the sun. If you look after your boat, paint problems won't be an issue. Mine was 13 years old when I traded it and even towards the end people thought it was still newish. Max HP where you can.

Quintrex must have changed their policy on paint? when I got mine I wanted raw alloy with grey carpet and was told it would come painted no options

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Quintrex must have changed their policy on paint? when I got mine I wanted raw alloy with grey carpet and was told it would come painted no options
    I think that confirms you had a dealer problem, not a Telwater problem, let's be clear here, I am not defending Telwater, they mass build boats to a price, and have a huge dealer network, so, at times, you will get a bad experience, and at times, a bad product, that's when the "good"dealer comes into it.

60hp will not be enough on a 460 and you will only be on here complaining your boat struggles to get going and maintain speed

Also quintrex has always offered renegades unpainted. I bought a unpainted 420 in 2014. And had the option of painted or unpainted when I bought another 420 in 2017.

I bought the first tiller one cheap and got really good resale so sold it and bought a side console painted for a few grand extra

100% correct, you can order a Telwater boat unpainted, or painted inside or outside only, two tone or single colour, they will do some custom work too if it's not too way out!

100% correct, you can order a Telwater boat unpainted, or painted inside or outside only, two tone or single colour, they will do some custom work too if it's not too way out!
    And...

Options of funky graphics,

Vinyl wrap,

Bimini,

Extra seat spigots,

Extra seats,

Sheesh, there's a lot of options! Just jump onto the Quintrex website and do a 'build your boat' to get some ideas.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app