Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Hi all,

I understood that traditional carb 2 strokes in Aust were either to be destroyed or exported out of Aust as of 1 July 2019...that is less than 2 months away. Anyone scoring any good deals. I am surprised I haven't seen sales on carb 2 strokes. Perhaps dealers don't want an expectation of massive discounts so they are keeping quiet and will have the option of selling stock overseas to Africa etc where they are valued (as they should be) for longevity and simplicity.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

The deadline has been extended, see here:
    http://www.boatadvice.com.au/surpris...s-1-july-2020/

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    The deadline has been extended, see here:
    http://www.boatadvice.com.au/surpris...s-1-july-2020/

Thanks mate. Now it all makes sense. Watch out for bargain then in say 8 - 10 months time!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

If your looking for say a 15 hp 2 stroke most of them are gone , that’s new but I can see second hand ones holding value . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Until that extension was announced, there were some good deals starting to pop up.

Remember, it is still illegal to import them, so whatever stock is here in Australia now, that's it.

So, if you want a 2 stroke, get one before the stock is all gone.

This extension had taken the urgency out of selling stock. So, the discounting will not be as good as some may have hoped.

New parts for 2 strokes will plumit just like the old Force/Crysler going out of business today there parts are almost impossible to find 2 strokes will be the same imo

Shxt I knew it was coming but I thought it was a way off. I want an 18hp Merc or tohatsu tender motor and was toying with the idea of a thundercat as well. What the hell are they going to put on thundercats?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    New parts for 2 strokes will plumit just like the old Force/Crysler going out of business today there parts are almost impossible to find 2 strokes will be the same imo

N9one of the makers are going out of business. If they are not on the shelf then you will just wait a few weeks to get them from overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Manufacturer going out of business / broke, is very different to a country restricting import of 'new' 2 stroke motors.

I'll have $50 on the fact that there will be:

- plenty of parts,
    - ready supply, and
    - most likely relatively new motors for sake.

Australia market is a minnow compared to the whole Asia Pacific region. It's full of 2 strokes and will continue. They'll need parts. We get access.

Import of 'new' 2 strokes is banned. So, watch and see the 'demo', 'just broken in' and even 'repossession' labelled 'new' 2 stroke motors being sold here in Oz. All with, surprisingly, almost full manufacturer warranty.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Shxt I knew it was coming but I thought it was a way off. I want an 18hp Merc or tohatsu tender motor and was toying with the idea of a thundercat as well. What the hell are they going to put on thundercats?
    Mate, few 18hp Tohatsu still available.

https://www.neptunemarine.com.au/motors-on-sale

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this will only include carburettor two-strokes (and not direct injection two-strokes), and most new two-strokes won’t be too affected as they have to meet stricter EU and (slightly stricter than the EU) USA standards?

Or am I wrong here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okay with the 50 hp , two stroke at $ 5999 sounds like a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this will only include carburettor two-strokes (and not direct injection two-strokes), and most new two-strokes won’t be too affected as they have to meet stricter EU and (slightly stricter than the EU) USA standards?

Or am I wrong here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty much right, but, manufacturers, with the exception of BRP (Evinrude) have ditched their EFI/HPDI 2 strokes, there is rumours/stories that BRP are going to place a bet each way and offer a 4 stroke in the future, possibly under the Johnson name, I kind of can't see it happening, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Pretty much right, but, manufacturers, with the exception of BRP (Evinrude) have ditched their EFI/HPDI 2 strokes, there is rumours/stories that BRP are going to place a bet each way and offer a 4 stroke in the future, possibly under the Johnson name, I kind of can't see it happening, but who knows?
    I dont see BRP doing a 4 stroke. Its just some one's imagination getting carried away by the net-of-all-things. For a start, gen 1 etecs meet all current controls. Gen 2 is way infront. They have been working on gen 2 for lower powered motors. To open up a 4 stroke line involves more R&D, another factory. They have more than enough on their plate with the etec line of motors. It puts at stake all their sunk investment in 2 stroke. Aint gonna happen. Especialy since they still lead the pack in innovation. Going 4 stroke is not a good fit.
    Unless they by out some one.
    that isnt happening because they are buying out strategic partners. Logically, the rumour is crap.
    The main heading should read
    2 stroke CARBRETTER motors will no longer be sold.
    4strokes that dont meet the standards will ALSO be banned.

Yep, true, as I said, I can't see it happening, but that said, BRP have plenty of 4 strokes that they manufacture now, whether they would use one of their own, or simply rebadge would be a business decision, if they have such plans at all! as it stands, world wide sales of Evinrude are quite low compared to most other brands, why is anyone's guess.