Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

The political opinions of one person is not always the same as the next person.

I can assure you that people’s political views will kill this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Meanwhile, time to get a great, simple, home serviceable, long lasting carby 2 stroke new is running out.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

so a search on computer for 4 hp two strokes, sourcing one for the sister as she has been given a old alloy tinny. Anyways what comes up is these whippersnipper outboards from china , Air cooled of course and brand new from $ 450 . now im not going to buy one as you could imagine the noise it would make pinging of its head...i had to read the ad again , before i go and say they are getting around the requirements, yes they say they meet the australian standard EPA ( limiting ) noxious emissions requirements.

Its almost daily i see 2 strokes listed on fb classifieds with the mention of "selling due to going 4 stroke" 2 strokes may be old fashion but before we know it there going to be gone... 4 strokes second hand will become so cheap and so available its going to wipe out 2 strokes

Cat 2-3 years ago ebay was flooded with 2 stroke technology whipper snippers now more and more adds are appearing for 4 stroke whipper snippers, what these Chinese outboard companies will do with those little air cooled 2 stroke engines is just swap over to 4 stroke whipper snipper powerheads thats all those little engines are

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Its almost daily i see 2 strokes listed on fb classifieds with the mention of "selling due to going 4 stroke" 2 strokes may be old fashion but before we know it there going to be gone... 4 strokes second hand will become so cheap and so available its going to wipe out 2 strokes
    Long time though because they last.

Cheers

Ozscott they only last because they dont get used like modern 4 strokes, whens the last time u seen 1000 hours plus on a 2 stroke? I have a 50hp 2 stroke sitting in the fron yard built in 1988 with 172 hours

Ozscott they only last because they dont get used like modern 4 strokes, whens the last time u seen 1000 hours plus on a 2 stroke? I have a 50hp 2 stroke sitting in the fron yard built in 1988 with 172 hours
    You are kidding right Gazza.? That's just wrong. I have owned 2 strokes with over 2000 hours on and Running very nicely. I know plenty of guys with high hours 2 strokes. I also know guys with net boats that have put up 3000 hours on their 2 strokes and those motors sing along (carb and also injected Optimax). They are built tough and for high revs over many hours. Modern 4 strokes in my opinion have gone too light in some cases to try to compete with 2 stroke weight.

Enjoy your 4 stroke but don't denigrate what is a terrific power source known for long hours.

Cheers

PS. The fuel usage cost difference doesn't suddenly mean that we can take time off work and rip out fishing. Seriously mate are you saying people don't use their 2 strokes but when they get a 4 they are ringing in sick for the next 10 years putting hours up on their quieter motors...

Agree with ozscott. Your talking horse shit

The amount of two strokes previously sold would be enormous and plenty of people are still happily using them
    You can see this at any boat ramp anywhere in Australia

I had 3000 hours on a 3 cyl 30 Yamaha from lots of slow trolling and it’s still going for the mate i sold it too

The fuel use saving would not offset the purchase cost for a four stroke for a average user. Which is well under a 100 hours per year

Everything in life still has a value
    Decent second hand outboards will always be in short supply.

I say decent not the shit you look at on gumtree

So they will be priced at a point just below where someone goes stuff it I’ll just go new

They won’t drop in price and two stroke pricing will be below this so again not worth nothing

you make it sound like it only has 172hrs after 30+ years because it's a 2 stroke?
    Are you saying if it was a 30y/o 4 stroke, it would have 1,172 hours on it? Can't understand the logic in that statement.
    I have an 07 90hp merc 2st. with about 300hrs, still like new. does it now have too many hours on it to be worth anything?
    Even if it was an 07 90hp 4st., it would still only have about 300hrs on it!

Show me some links than? because i have never seen it i have owned a lot of old engines and i have never seen a old 2 stroke with thousands of hours not unless the hour meter has ticked over

Show me some links than? because i have never seen it i have owned a lot of old engines and i have never seen a old 2 stroke with thousands of hours not unless the hour meter has ticked over
    Links... ? To what? Living in a non-online world you see and know of high hours 2 strokes matey. And as for adverts for second hand boats who is going to advertise "Yammy 115 2 stroke, 3000 hours but runs great...".

Look I get that you don't like 2 strokes, especially ones with carbs, but just accept that in putting your 'case' you have over-reached.

Cheers

PS. Go and talk to blokes that owned Wondal Road Marine who sold for many years 2 stroke carb, alongside 2 stroke injected (Optis) alongside 4 strokes and see the sort of hours on the meters they saw on servicing and changeovers. I was there at their Wynnum base a number of time when net boat operators drove in with thousands of hours on carby 2 strokes and optimax 2 strokes. I bought one and you would never know it had the hours on it.

Yeah i see it regularly online today with the opti's and 4 strokes but i have never seen a 175hp for instance evinrude with 4000 hours that would be one bloody insane fuel bill

I guess hour meters were not.mandatory back in those old days and i cant see your average jo doing 4000 hours with a old 2 stroke that is a shit ton of trips die to the amount of fuel they use vs tank size the boat can carry

It may be possible for charters that are running all day 6 days a week year round but i personally have never seen it or even heard of it

Fair enough that you haven't seen it Gazza. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of happy owners of high hour 2 strokes.

I am keen to see how low dealers go in the last few months as the new deadline looms. Will be interesting.

Cheers

Back in those days fuel was 65c or less a litre
    Don’t apply your own circumstances to wether or not someone is willing to fill a boat with 300 litres of fuel to catch $50 worth of king fish lol

Hour meters have been here since the late 70s

What do you mean die to the amount fuel they use

Two stroke doesn’t mean shitloads of fuel
    I could do botany dad’s idle for 5-6 hours and scream back in on 50l
    So that’s 8 hours maybe 9 for $100 fuel and oil on a old carbed two stroke

Just over emphasising the extreme for a point that isn’t there to be made