Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Actually thinking about it my oil injected 2 stroke Yamaha 30 3 cylinder was pretty good on petrol me and a mate use to fish 4 times a week when i had that home outboard business we use to do a lot of running around in botany bay crap load of drifting over the same locations but i recall it being an ok engine for fuel on a 4.3m open tiller tinny

EDIT: this is that Yamaha 30hp

Re: 1 July 2019 deadline - carb 2 strokes no longer to be sold - any good deals??

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    cant be going too far how many km would you cover at those revs on 7l of fuel , thats about 45mins of engine running with your boat

no idea how accurate this site is but its about right for my 50 yamaha pushing a heavy boat
    http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/evi...umption-liters
    I am only pushing a tinnie, lol. Motor would probably only run about an hr, true. I have been getting three trips in per 25ltr tank. XD100 also about a liter since last year. I will probably still have a litre left when it comes time to sell, lol.
    thats cheap running in anyone's books.

Watching some old footage of Malcolm Douglass (rip), the 2 stroke johnson and merc outboards took him wherever he pointed his boats.
    Can’t believe he even had a carby powered car, they will only be in the museum soon.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Watching some old footage of Malcolm Douglass (rip), the 2 stroke johnson and merc outboards took him wherever he pointed his boats.
    Can’t believe he even had a carby powered car, they will only be in the museum soon.
    And we once rode horses and walked, old technology is not necessarily better, it's just that it's all there is, I remember when that new fangled EFI was never going to take on, automatic cars were for old fuddy duddies, colour TV was going to send you blind and computers were a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    My first motor was a 6 hp Johnson - it only started when it felt like it. I read about the Falklands war where it was described that several of the boats on an SAS mission were adrift due to 'the notoriously unreliable 30 hp Johnson outboard motor'.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    My first motor was a 6 hp Johnson - it only started when it felt like it. I read about the Falklans war where it was described that several of the boats on an SAS mission were adrift due to 'the notoriously unreliable 30 hp Johnson outboard motor'.
    Bill i am a Evinrude Johnson fan i love all those old two strokes most of my life its all i could afford to buy, Never once had one blow up on me or cause any failure other than a pinched cooling hose i have had a good run with those old engines and i have owned some really old engines like the 50 or 55hp Evinrude with electronic gearbox it was called a Selectronic u had to push buttons on the forward controls to electronically activate gears lol had another old beauty i think it was a 1973 20hp 2 piece gearbox casing and propeller sheer pins

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Bill i am a Evinrude Johnson fan i love all those old two strokes most of my life its all i could afford to buy, Never once had one blow up on me or cause any failure other than a pinched cooling hose i have had a good run with those old engines and i have owned some really old engines like the 50 or 55hp Evinrude with electronic gearbox it was called a Selectronic u had to push buttons on the forward controls to electronically activate gears lol had another old beauty i think it was a 1973 20hp 2 piece gearbox casing and propeller sheer pins
    The ignition systems subsequently improved - otherwise if you could get them started they went well.

its cheap running when you barely use it anyway

when discussing two strokes we really need to STATE injected or carbed as its two completely different worlds of technology

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    My first motor was a 6 hp Johnson - it only started when it felt like it. I read about the Falklands war where it was described that several of the boats on an SAS mission were adrift due to 'the notoriously unreliable 30 hp Johnson outboard motor'.
    hmmm, interesting. our family have owned several 25/30/35hp evinrude/johnsons over the years. from 1977 on(same powerhead on all till the end of production). when they went to electronic ignition, they have always been totally reliable for us. the pre-77 era with points, were plagued by the coils consistently breaking down.

well havin owned two mercury same time, a 50 hp premix and 60 hp oil self mixing, 07 and 09 year build date, in excellent condition both of them, it was like chalk and cheese between the two . with the 60 hp its smoother , economical, reliable, and even nicer with a S/S vengence prop. horses for courses best outboard i have ever owned ..........although i havent had a honda yet..

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    original Keikhafer Merc's started of being WHITE, then went black with silver bands. eventually when Brunswick took them over, they went red band, blue, red/blue, brown etc
    just watch a video on a 115 hp mercury blueband "tower of power" at WOT, yup thats the sound i remember as a kid and still gives me a hard on hearing that sound, that motor was bad to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    well havin owned two mercury same time, a 50 hp premix and 60 hp oil self mixing, 07 and 09 year build date, in excellent condition both of them, it was like chalk and cheese between the two . with the 60 hp its smoother , economical, reliable, and even nicer with a S/S vengence prop. horses for courses best outboard i have ever owned ..........although i havent had a honda yet..
    I have never had one of the Hondas i've had on a boat i have owned and used but i see quiet a few people at the ramps during summers even the older carbie models so they must go alright Honda did pioneer the 4 stroke

okay honda provides a 7 year warranty, jap quality is pretty damn good.

Japanese have had many years of testing their products so they have it all sorted, China on the 9ther hand are now producing some bigger horse power 4 strokes there are some on ebay au not sure wether they have engineered there own technology or stealing Japanese designs

9k for a 60hp China engine https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outboard...EAAOSwxuxbFzDM

and its dearer then buying a yamaha by 800