Thread: Clamp on rod holders

Clamp on rod holders

Quick one. Anyone use these clamp on rod holder's for trolling?
    Thinking about putting one on each side of the rocket launcher to have a rod out each side.
    They hold okay? Reckon it'd work?
    The photo is just an example, but looks like the ones I've had my eye on......images.jpeg-1.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Clamp on rod holders

i had the plastic ones on my tinnie mounted on the grab rails and worked for me, trolling for bonito . you can set the right angle and tilt and install in the right place and you have drag on your reel to delay a breakage in case you hook a marlin ha ha . as a non permanent install its great to remove it if need be.

Yeah mate. I use them on the rails of my tinny when trolling for Spanish. They are very solid.

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Yeah mate. I use them on the rails of my tinny when trolling for Spanish. They are very solid.

Cheers
    Rob
    Cheers. Might go with some then.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Yes ditto as rtp s comments- I have also used ones that have the clamps on the bottom of the holder- once again very robust. Maybe a bit more expensive .Whitworths might be the go for those.

These are a clamp on version of what I have used previously to do similar. I used the ones that bolt on as I had flat areas to do so. The advantage of these is easy adjustment between angle and vertical allowing them to be used as trolling holders (or outrigger bases) or moved to a vertical position easily to add two more slots for rod storage.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/rod-hldr-ss-rail-hd

On my current set up I use a couple of these dropped into the outermost rocket launcher positions and a couple of cheap surf rods as riggers.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/rod-holder-outrig-la

Ausfish Silver Member

Had those on my last boat and very solid although the bolts can come loose over time so once set up in the position you want use a bit of loctite.

Still looking for a rod holder that has a better pin at the bottom. Too many times have had them bend either on solid fish or using the electric.